Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Your favourite Bath Houses / Saunas anywhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favourite Bath Houses / Saunas anywhere

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

I've been going to AMS almost every year since my family moved there (well to the southern suburbs). The decline started in early 2000s and came into culmination this year.

The telling sign was the closing of Thermos Nacht (never reopened) and Sex of Sunday. (actually Sex on Sunday reopened this year, at its usual Kerkstraat location). To be fair, most places reopened this year, with new names.

It not the same crowd though. The town changed, the crowd (far from being dutch) are mostly tourists.

There are some gay things to do, but its not what it used to be. It's still a crazy place on Queen's day / pride when people come into town.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I've been going to AMS almost every year since my family moved there (well to the southern suburbs). The decline started in early 2000s and came into culmination this year.

The telling sign was the closing of Thermos Nacht (never reopened)
I forget, is that the one that's behind Leidseplein (just north of it past the police station)? Or is that the Thermos Day one? I used to walk past that police station on my way home from the sauna, and I was always tempted to knock on the door and say, "Arrest me officer, for I have sinned!!"... So there's no longer a night sauna in AMS? Or does the Thermos Day one have extended hours now?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I like the ones in Istanbul and Budapest.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I never understood bathhouses in Europe when the backrooms are so active. Seems kinda counterintuitive, but why pay to get into a sauna when you can just go to a bar and get the same (if not better) thing?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
I never understood bathhouses in Europe when the backrooms are so active. Seems kinda counterintuitive, but why pay to get into a sauna when you can just go to a bar and get the same (if not better) thing?
Because there's no place for that othe person to have "cleaned-up". I like my guys squeaky-clean. And I hate odor. Plus, you can usually see the merchandise beforehand, no surprises. And some saunas, like in Vienna, Cologne, Essen, or Leipzig are quite amazing. But others, like in Spain, are somewhat nasty and you're better off just going to the club to fulfill your needs.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
They're totally different experiences. You really think you could pass several hours on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the backroom of a sleazy bar?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Sleazy is good...and always nice to have quick hook-ups instead of spending an entire an entire afternoon (or night) at a bathhouse waiting around.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
Agreed. There's a fine line between couth and uncouth conversation... Let's not color the rest of FlyerTalk with the notion that all gay men want to do is find a new location to screw around in. That's a stereotype we've been fighting for a long time. Don't foster it.

Don't get me wrong: Bathhouses are fun places. It's just not a conversation for FT.

BN
Great point.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:22 pm

In the UK, The Greenhouse at Darlaston near Birmingham, is excellent.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:07 pm

Saunas in Rio

I am not much of a sauna customer, but since I had heard so much about Rio's saunas I got into a "sauna excursion" from the local travel operator and visited three of them: I went to the Calvin Klein's sauna (but CK wasn't there).

What I think it was quite interesting about Rio's saunas is that there are two different kinds of saunas: the ones with hustlers and the majority without hustlers.

Saunas in Rio are more like gay clubs, where people go to have drinks, chat and there are even drag shows in some of them. They all have private rooms where you can go for more intimate action. The hustlers at the saunas seem to please the size queens and according to a group of Americans that I met there they are quite unexpensive.

Now I found the non-hustler saunas a lot of fun, more of a club atmosphere where old chaps meet to talk, laugh and drink and eventually cruise.

Anyway I wouldn't dare to say that Rio's saunas are the best in the world, but they are definitely worth a visit.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:42 pm

I gotta go with Epitome

Emitome (Malate, Manila) Cheap, in the area and one of the better lit ones
in Manila
There is one in Quezon City that you got a room with your own shower
I think the name was playspace

Club Houston was fun as it had a nice pool.
Spa Excess Toronto
F212 in Vancouver
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Wink Favorite bathhouses

Domestic:

Steamworks in Chicago can be a hit or miss when it comes to guys. However, the facility is impressive.

Club Ft. Lauderdale is the best I've visited in the US. The outdoor pool area alone makes it worthwhile. The opportunities are endless after dark. Let's just say those pool lounge chairs have been put to good "use".

NYC has the worst bathhouses of any city in terms of facilities and maintenance. However, I have always walked out of West Side Club with a big smile on my face

Crew Club in Washington, DC has to be the second worst in terms of maintenance. It is always under renovations. Guys can be hit or miss. Typical DC "attitude".

Steamworks in Berkeley is a great bathouse, in terms of guys and facility.

Flex in Atlanta is worth checking out if you are in town. The facility is nice, with a large outdoor pool and a steamroom that overlooks the outdoor pool. It can be noisy because of location (situated quite close to the interstate highway).

The bathhouse in Detroit (whatever its name is at the moment) is probably the most boring bathhouse I've visited. It reflects the somber mood of the city of Detroit.

International:

Magnum Szauna in Budapest is great. I visited magnum three times during my three trips to Budapest and I've always managed to have fun. The facility is small but well-maintained, and the guys are very nice.

The bathhouse in Paris is small, but the guys are a lot of fun. I had to keep up with the unlimited action

I've not been to the bathhouse in Amsterdam, only because I am usually tired after a visit to Club Church. I never saw a reason to visit the bathhouse after a visit to Club Church.

The sauna/ bathhouse in Helsinki (I think there is only one gay sauna in a city of hundreds of saunas) is well-maintained. It has a video room, but no pool. The sauna is good. I had a good time with the Finns

I agree with whoever said visiting a bathhouse in a foreign city is a ritual. I find it easy to make friends when you are au naturale
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by travelkid
I like the ones in Istanbul and Budapest.
are you thinking of saunas or of the public bath houses, like Kiraly and Raczs and Rudasz used to be very very busy with gay people and lot of action, even Gellert on Sundays.
I recall that in the late 1990, I used to fly frequently to BUD in the morning, and after my business meeting went to the bath houses, really enjoyed the atmosphere and the guys before returning to the airport and was back in HAM in the evening...but don't know if its still as attractive nowadays as it used to be in 1998 as I haven't been there any more for long.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
I was fairly impressed by the new and very modern facilities and its great pools of "Aniki Club" in Taipeh when I visited it last February.....
Its mainly a place for young guys in their 20 till mid-30ies....but for them I think its a "must"
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
are you thinking of saunas or of the public bath houses, like Kiraly and Raczs and Rudasz used to be very very busy with gay people and lot of action, even Gellert on Sundays.
I recall that in the late 1990, I used to fly frequently to BUD in the morning, and after my business meeting went to the bath houses, really enjoyed the atmosphere and the guys before returning to the airport and was back in HAM in the evening...but don't know if its still as attractive nowadays as it used to be in 1998 as I haven't been there any more for long.
Last time I was there, (2009) Racz was gone, Kiraly closed, but Rudas (gutted and remodeled) was still going strong. They had parties on certain dates with music and light show. They were mixed, but a lot of fun.

I was fortunate to be able to use all 3 before any of them were closed or remodeled. My favorite was Rudas. It has the most erotic atmosphere I have ever been in. Especially pleasant on cold winter days.

Last edited by tatterdema; Jul 3, 2012 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.