Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Your favourite Bath Houses / Saunas anywhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favourite Bath Houses / Saunas anywhere

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Nope, Caesars is the best, for several reasons. Encore is definitely nice though, if a little dull.
If you go into the earlier thread replies, people were chatting about THEhotel's Spa, called The Bathouse. I was clarifying.

As for Vegas spas, it's all personal preference: I've done Qua at Caesars and didn't like it. It was way too busy for me, over-designed and relied too much on flash and not enough on good treatments. I've spa'd all over the world and still find Encore's treatments to be on-par with the best... And that includes La Prairie in Switzerland, numerous Aman resorts and almost every major in Las Vegas.

But like I said before, if you love Qua, then awesome! Far be it from me to tell you what's comfy and what's not

BN
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:32 pm

been to many bath house around the world

my favorites are the one in Vienna...the place is really a marvel to just see,

fort lauderdale is one of the nicest in the states,

denver has two and both are good although i have a preference for the denver swim club due to its indoor pool

i went to a male/female one in geneva and that was interesting too.

have yet to visit any in the far east but heard the one in bankgok is nice too.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
[QUOTE=jay_e67;13640682
have yet to visit any in the far east but heard the one in bankgok is nice too.[/QUOTE]

Babylon in BKK is the place to be...as already said by someone before: Saturday/Sunday afternoons jazz performances by that great black singer..she is fantastic...and Babylon is one of the cruisiest palces in the world...

In CGN I fancy Phoenix much more than former Badehaus, which must have become Babylon Cologne about one year ago..has anybody tried that one yet?
Old May 3, 2010, 6:50 pm

Talking

I have been to Steamworks. It was ok I didnt do anything but walk around. I wasn't well versed on etiquette since it was my first time at a bath house.

Wish it was a little bit more of a mixed crowd racially. I haven't tried Man's Country yet.

Last edited by RatedChitown; May 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm
Old May 6, 2010, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
US is flex cleveland or Steamworks chicago.

Canada it's XS in Toronto.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't think anyone was talking about THEhotel...I know I certainly wasn't. (Even when I stay at THEhotel, I use the spa at Manadaly Bay.)
i came across this post after seeing an ad on a regular ole gay news site for "The Bathhouse" at TheHotel at Mandalay Bay. the ad features two guys staring each other down, one with no clothes on... with the text that then pops up "catering to all of your preferences" ... in a "really, they have that there?" moment i googled and came across this thread

http://spe.atdmt.com/ds/MGMGMMGMMMBY...241949;ct.1/01 is the ad. I assume at some point that they rotate and get rid of the ad though so the link probably won't work at some point.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
US is flex cleveland or Steamworks chicago.

Canada it's XS in Toronto.
Okay, why would anyone name a bathhouse "XS"?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by izzik
Okay, why would anyone name a bathhouse "XS"?
My bad it's called spa excess LOL. There is a bar called club xs in Toronto I like and I must have been thinking of that when I typed the post.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Also, there is a new sauna in Vancouver (YVR) called "Friction". The place is still a bit new and not many people know about it. If enough people go, it would be a good sauna.
Not enough people went. Friction went out of business after about a year. The facility is now a Steamworks -- the bathhouse, not the restaurant!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:31 pm

Dare ya to date yourself like THIS

Gone now: The Ballpark.

It was in the USA. I bet one of you knows which city. Anyone?

The 3 storey hot waterfall was impressive; the cave behind it (you walked through the waterfall) was awesome...

Then there was the dance floor. And in the basement the cab. Of a transport truck. Lots of room behind the seats.

Were those the days?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Babylon in Bangkok is the best I've ever been to. 24 Kaikan in Tokyo is decent.

Absolute in Singapore is pretty good, though no where near the size of Babylon and with not quite such good amenities.

Babylon is one of the places with a cafe on premises. The food is pretty good, actually. And it can be liberating to have a meal wrapped in a towel, an opportunity for introspection on certain fundamental needs of being human.

Thanks for the tips on Amsterdam (the reason I found this old thread). Any updates re AMS would be appreciated.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Aug 9, 2011 at 6:55 am
Old Aug 9, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

AMS is tired. Thermos Nacht closed and Reguliersdwarsstraat hasn't changed in 10+ years. The decline came eventually : most of the of the places on the street closed in June this year for good. The people that kept it alive moved to the the suburbs outside of AMS (or Belgium or died (i.e April's owner)

Though I heard some new places reopened. April is now called Ludwig 2.

It will never be the same. Those who are interested in experiencing gay AMS are about 5-10 years too late.

The scene has moved east, to Berlin in my opinion, years ago.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
That's quite an update on AMS! Wow. Who'da thunk it?

Was hoping for some fun nocturnal diversions on this business trip. Guess not. Unless anyone has any suggestions for AMS these days.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I spent a lot of time in AMS in the 90's (mainly because I had a Dutch boyfriend, but kept going back even after we broke up). Then I had not visited the city for a few years. I noticed a sharp change in the atmosphere. Being in AMS had become a nuisance, and it really had nothing to do with the gays. There was a definite change in the town's "demographic". I'll actually be there at the end of September. I hope it's improved. I can't think of being there with not much "gay" to do.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, UA PLT
More reading on bathhouses http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1535997 (full article is firewalled)

favorites:

Spades 4 in Brussels (lounge/bar)
The Club in FTL (patio & cabins)
Steamworks Berkeley
Kaiserbruendl in Vienna (architecture, pools)
Thermos Day in AMS
Europamulticlub in Rome (pools)

I swear the sound track at most saunas is carefully chosen. Sport Sauna played a song that was called "20 centimeters" that I had to ask someone to translate (from German) for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.