Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Up-and-coming Gay Destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was just wondering what the next great gay destinations are going to be.

From experience, I know that Amsterdam is on the decline whereas Barcelona, Sitges and Berlin are attracting more and more people. But how about the US. Do you think that Miami, Fort Lauderdale and San Francisco are passé? Or are they still going strong? What are the new up-and-coming gay destinations?
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:13 am

A new report by a G/L marketing firm says that the Canadian cities of Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto are now the top gay faves. May have something to do with the legality of same sex marriage. I've always thought Montreal was great, but overlooked by many.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I don't think I would call Berlin or Barcelona "up and coming" - both have pretty much arrived some time ago!

I suspect somewhere in Eastern Europe might be the next big thing - who know what a Croatia or Ukraine might be offering in a few years? Eventually Moscow will take its rightful place as a leading gay destination!

Also smaller European countries are moving up the ladder with the likes of Lisbon and Brussels attracting more attention.

I think Istanbul is very underrated, and Beirut is often overlooked (but not on this board!).

Further afield I get the impression Buenos Aires and Melbourne are often mentioned. I get the feeling Montreal is getting better know to travellers beyond North America as a potential destination.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getsaround
A new report by a G/L marketing firm says that the Canadian cities of Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto are now the top gay faves. May have something to do with the legality of same sex marriage. I've always thought Montreal was great, but overlooked by many.
Never been to Montreal but planning to go next summer
Only pain point would seem to be the exchange rate
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:03 pm

When I first started traveling to Canada mid-80's the looney was worth 65 cents against the US dollar. Made Canada a GREAT bargain! No more.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
If I had to pick one place that is skyrocketing in popularity for gay travelers, it would be Buenos Aires. The culture is interesting, it's still affordable with all the modern conveniences, a variety of neighborhoods and accomodations, and a lot of people just fall in love with the place.

Montreal has been a great gay destination for a very long time. Historic, charming, openminded, friendly, with a great gayborhood as well as large events (Pride, Black & Blue, dozens of other festivals to choose from), I am surprised anyone would consider it "up and coming."

A friend of mine recently traveled to Tepoztlan, Mexico as a sidetrip from Mexico City. (Tepoztlan is just 11 miles outside of Cuernavaca). It is historic and interesting, with a strong spiritual vibe. He said it was kind of like the "Sedona of Mexico," and said there were several gay Mexicans there for the weekend, but foreigners during the week. It was just reviewed this past weekend in the LA Times travel section: http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-tr-tepoz4nov04 . I do know that Acapulco has made some efforts to pull the gay visitors and dollars away from PVR their way.

Costa Rica is growing more and more as a gay destination, and I think Panama and Nicaragua could be headed that way as well. Any tropical place where people are left alone that are still affordable with great beaches are prime candidates for "up and coming" status!

...and San Francisco will never be passe!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
On the International scene it would appear that Barcelona has taken the place of Ibizia. On the domestic side, as younger gay populations grow in cities such as Austin, Seattle, Columbus, etc. some of these cities will also become more of a destination for gay travel. Particularly for younger gay men, a five day trip to Austin would be much more affordable than five days in NYC or SFO.

Like multiple day circuit parties, the cost has become out of reach for younger gay men, which in turn are developing their own "space." Personally, I have gotten to the point of does $1,000 in MIA for the White/Winter party justify itself. Particularly, when I can go down any long weekend (except New Years) for well less than half of that.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Buenos Aires is a definite up and coming gay destination, especially with the decline of the dollar in Euorpe and most every other country in the world Argentina is a real bargain.
SAM
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
On the International scene it would appear that Barcelona has taken the place of Ibizia. On the domestic side, as younger gay populations grow in cities such as Austin, Seattle, Columbus, etc. some of these cities will also become more of a destination for gay travel. Particularly for younger gay men, a five day trip to Austin would be much more affordable than five days in NYC or SFO.

Like multiple day circuit parties, the cost has become out of reach for younger gay men, which in turn are developing their own "space." Personally, I have gotten to the point of does $1,000 in MIA for the White/Winter party justify itself. Particularly, when I can go down any long weekend (except New Years) for well less than half of that.
I agree. The costs are just outrageous. I was just talking to friends about this year's NYE plans. I'm wanting to go to Miami, but the costs are preventing most friends from committing.

Off subject, but any good NYE ideas out there?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
[QUOTE=bcmatt;8679699]
I think Istanbul is very underrated, and Beirut is often overlooked (but not on this board!).

QUOTE]

What? Beirut in Lebanon?
This country full of islamistic terrorists???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nm-wsu4Lj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXr_nl-SQmE
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr70
I agree. The costs are just outrageous. I was just talking to friends about this year's NYE plans. I'm wanting to go to Miami, but the costs are preventing most friends from committing.

Dunno, we're over in Orlando for Christmas and NYE - not sure whether to hit Universal for NYE or whether there's something else out there for a couple of UK poofs.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Jimmy67
What? Beirut in Lebanon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nm-wsu4Lj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXr_nl-SQmE
wow, those are some good looking terrorists!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by trvlr70

Well there is now an Alegria to be held on 12/30 in NYC, lots of hot men. Of course, NYC is never cheap. But you could party well into 12/31, then hang in New Years Eve when all of the loud drunks take the streets and instead watch Dick Clark try to speak
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:20 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
[QUOTE=Jimmy67;8689999][QUOTE=bcmatt;8679699]
[QUOTE]

What? Beirut in Lebanon?

The Main Religion in Lebanon is Christianity same as USA...Yes you could be right a Country full of Terrorists
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Do we really need more gay destinations?

Rio, Sao Paulo, and Buenos Aires are really nice in South America but I do think that they are already rather established as gay destinations.

How about Budapest? Lot's of baths and interesting action based night life i.e. Action Bar.

Last edited by holtju2; Nov 9, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.