Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manchester, England

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Manchester, England

Planning a long weekend in Manchester. Noticed that most of the information already here is rather dated.

Looking for recommendations for bars, sex clubs, backrooms, gay hotels, etc.

What's the cost of a beer or mixed drink?

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:45 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
All of the bars are close together in the Gay Village (around Canal St) It really depends on what you are looking for or into.

The rembrandt is a Gay bar (leather/skins types) with hotel above and is right in the middle of the village. www.rembrandtmanchester.com

If the hotel doesn't have to be a gay hotel and you are looking for something a little better then there is a radisson hotel on Peter st and the new Hilton on Deansgate (both about a 10 min walk from the village).

Another one of my favourates bars is The company bar. Small basement bar-men only and gets very busy.

The New Union hotel is one of the oldest pubs around and attracts a mixed crowd-usually has some kind of entertainment on (cormer of Canal St & Princess St).

Legends is another popular bar/club on the outskirts of the village-only been once and didn't stay long. Whilst I didn't see an actual darkroom I believe there is some action in the toilets & dark corners-perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Via Fossa is also a great place although I haven't been there for some time.

There are two saunas/bathhouses. H2O is right in the center of the village next to Clone Zone shop on Sackville St. Never been here but I believe that it's quite small inside. The most popular is Basement complex on Tariff st (close to Piccadilly station).

Beer should cost you about £2.60 to £3.50 and mixed drink £2.50 to £4.00 depending where you go.

As I don't really go out that often (due to work) my knowledge is a bit limited but I'm sure others can add to this-Manchester is a great city, hope you have a great time.

Last edited by peteropny; Jul 2, 2007 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:45 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
It's been a while but we stayed at the Malmaison which was quite cool: http://www.malmaison-manchester.com/

And it's not far from Anal Treet.

Oh and be sure to get the original Queer as Folk (UK version) to get you in the right mood
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:56 am

I live and work near the village there are lots of hotes in the area from Budget thru to nice high end properties.

The new City Inn looks good and is literally steps from Canal St and Piccadilly station.

Basement is busiest sauna although H2o does well too, and is nearer to the bars.

The visitor centre website is useful at www.visitgaymanchester.com

Have a great time!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just booked a trip to MAN next weekend, had to use up a DL ticket credit that was going to expire, and couldn't find any warmer destination for even a similar price ($650). Anywhere in Mexico, Central America, and Caribbean was pricing out at $700+, with fewer EQMs, so MAN here I come! <irony>
Hilton Deansgate is in on the "January Sale"--it seems to be about 60GBP for "normal" room, but I got a King Executive Plus (including Lounge access, nice room with Jacuzzi) for 80GBP all-in. Found on Orbitz, and of course Hilton BRG was rejected because of some small print. Spring/Summer seems to be starting at 80GBP for normal room, 100GBP for Executive, still a great deal for a very well-reviewed hotel. But anyway, excited to be coming!
Any updates on the Gay Village/Saunas/Nightlife?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kyushuman; Jan 10, 2009 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I'm off to Manchester this weekend for conference and was wondering if anyone had any favorites/recommendations for restaurants/bars/clubs?

I'm a Manchester virgin and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend! What time do bars and clubs get going there? Since I'm working both days, I can't stay out too late but still want to have fun!

Can I survive on four hours sleep a night?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by olafman
I'm off to Manchester this weekend for conference and was wondering if anyone had any favorites/recommendations for restaurants/bars/clubs?

I'm a Manchester virgin and I'm looking forward to a fun weekend! What time do bars and clubs get going there? Since I'm working both days, I can't stay out too late but still want to have fun!

Can I survive on four hours sleep a night?
I never posted my results from my trip in January to MAN. And MAN, was it fun!
I stayed at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate, which is a 10-minute walk from the center of shopping and the gay area--but a nice walk through renovated storefronts and buildings. A really nice, pedestrian-friendly city center.
Actually, I'd say if you are looking for a quick survey of British shopping, it might even rival larger cities, because you can find Harvey Nic's, Selfridges, Marks and Spencer, plus a huge shopping mall, all within a 3-block radius. Also there is a lovely tiny cathedral worth a look; I didn't spend much time in the gay area, since I had a few "friends" to hang out with.
I do know the Gay area is also quite near the shopping/downtown, with (I'm told) very nice outdoor venues, next to the canal(?) too.
I was quite surprised at MAN--in fact, I think almost nobody (from the US at least!) goes to MAN for vacation--the Immigration guy at the airport couldn't really wrap his head around the idea that I was coming for leisure, for a long weekend. Once I told him I got the airfare for free--using a VDB voucher--he was more OK with it. Also, there are NOT many tourist guides to Manchester--which tells you a lot about its reputation as a destination-- but I did find a good Time Out Manchester that was reasonably new.
If you have HHonors Status, I'd recommend the Hilton--there is a direct train there, about 1/2 block walk to the hotel from the tiny train station. I found an amazing rate there, about US$120/night for an Executive Level room. Exec Club there is floor-to-ceiling windows, overlooking downtown, on maybe the 22nd floor. Very nice breakfast too. Next door to a movie theater, though I ended up not going. I just walked around a lot, really enjoyed it. I would for sure go back again, if DL puts it on sale....
If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.