Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

"Saying Gay and Lesbian is Rude" et al

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium

Northwest Airlines sent me a flier indicating that I could use my miles for magazine subscriptions. The usual obscure magazines are offered (Bassmaster, Lucky, Vibe) but on the list is OUT magazine. There is an 800 phone number which I call to make sure that the OUT magazine is, indeed, the one I want and not one about fishing for trout in Outer Mongolia.

I ask the agent to tell me about the magazine.

Agent: (Long pause) It’s about an alternative lifestyle.
Me: Is it the Gay and Lesbian Magazine?
Agent: Yes, but I don’t want to be rude.
Me: Rude? What’s rude about saying Gay and Lesbian?
Agent: We’re trained that way.
Me: (Going Ballistic)
Supervisor: May I assist?
Me: Why do you train your agents to avoid the words Gay and Lesbian? What’s “rude” about saying “Gay and Lesbian?”

The supervisor is intent on reinforcing training which avoids and appeases. Infuriating as it is, I indicate that if NWA includes OUT, they know who their clientele is and this private company which represents NWA needs to train their agents that using the words “Gay and Lesbian” is NOT rude!!!!!!

At the end of the exchange, the supervisor says that NWA offers the magazines on their website. I check it out. Guess what? ALL the magazines on the flier are there except OUT. Too "rude" for NWA's website?

I am incensed by the Magazine Customer Service. Maybe if more of us call and ‘advise” them that using the words “Gay and Lesbian” is not rude, they will change. 800.586.9630.

As to NWA’s website, I will contact the Tech Support but expect some bull**** as to why they don’t list OUT.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
PC gone awire....
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Sounds like NW doesn't want to offend homophobes !
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

much a do about nothing.....

Of all the things in the world to get upset about....sounds like you overreacted and you still don't have the magazine you wanted......
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Saying 'gay and lesbian' is indeed rude because it underscores the machoist mentality of putting men first

[/rant]
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:09 am

I gotta get out of this country. Things have swung soooooooooooo far out of control. The politically correct police are watching our every syallabul. American has gone to the dogs.

I guess the airline is correct. One "wrong" word can cause personal and professional disaster.

I will say "gay and lesbian" until the cows come home. If you don't like it, shove it.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:11 am

They want to control not only the words we use, but the word order.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:38 am

Excuse the dumm question but what is the current politically correct term ??
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moeve
Excuse the dumm question but what is the current politically correct term ??
I use "homosexualist" or refer to "the gays" but that probably doesn't count.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
I use "homosexualist" or refer to "the gays" but that probably doesn't count.
Would it be mean of me to ask for you to clean my keyboard? When I saw this reply I was drinking Pepsi and now it is all over my keyboard. ^ What an excellent response!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:01 pm

On one hand, I would think saying gay and lesbian is definitely not rude.

On the other hand, I would think not saying gay and lesbian is merely being polite to those who are not in this unique circle.

I have seen/heard more interesting classification such as "alternative liftstyle" etc... I am not so sure being gay is an "alternative"...

But why get so upset over the choice of words?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=uncle wiggily;7574848]
The supervisor is intent on reinforcing training which avoids and appeases. Infuriating as it is, I indicate that if NWA includes OUT, they know who their clientele is and this private company which represents NWA needs to train their agents that using the words “Gay and Lesbian” is NOT rude!!!!!!
QUOTE]

I understand your frustration. However, the call center is most likely a contractor for the magazine firm. The magazine firm probably pays them on a per call basis. If so, the magazine firm dictates exactly what they can and cannot say. The supervisor may not even have a way to give adequate feedback to the magazine firm.

I would have remained calm and asked for an address to write to the magazine firm with my comments. As for the website, I would address the issue with NWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.