Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand's Flight of the Fairies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 1:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Though this is to some extent old news, I just saw it mentioned for the first time in a magazine. Maybe other travel professionals among us might consider the same sort of thing for their local festivities?

I thought it would be of interest both to Kiwi flyers planning a future trip to Sydney Mardi Gras, and also to illustrate how proactively supportive of the gay community Air New Zealand is.

For those not so familiar, Air New Zealand is one of the few airlines on which you can actually circumnavigate the planet, and has a great new business class concept on many longhaul routes, mimicking the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Suite.

Air New Zealand launches Flight of the Fairies
Monday, 5 February 2007, 3:52 pm

Press Release: Air New Zealand

Boeings, Buckwheat and (Feather) Boas… Air New Zealand launches Flight of the Fairies

Air New Zealand is helping get the party started for Sydney Mardi Gras revellers, with a specially-designed “pink” flight set to take off from Auckland at 3pm on Friday 2 March.

The flight, dubbed Flight of the Fairies, will be hosted by well-known New Zealand drag queen diva Buckwheat, supported by Miss Ribena, Bambi and Venus Mantrap.

Flight of the Fairies promises to deliver customers an unforgettable experience, says Air New Zealand Retail Advertising Manager Sandy Butler.

The celebrations begin at the check-in counter, with customers checking in for flight NZ1105 receiving pink boas and leis from Air New Zealand staff. They’ll then progress to the departure gate, where they’ll be served pink canapés and an exclusive pink cocktail being designed by 42 BELOW.

The pink theme continues throughout the flight, with specially-chosen great entertainment, spot prizes and fairy treats.

“We have even designed a pink-themed menu and wine. Given that some of the best things in life are pink – think salmon and a crisp rosé wine – we’re sure this will be something to look forward to.”

Ms Butler says the flight is “definitely a case of more being more.

“We don’t want to spoil all the surprises for customers but we can say they’ll be well and truly in the mood for a party by the time they step off their Air New Zealand flight!”

The Boeing 767 aircraft being used for the Flight of the Fairies can carry 210 customers, and seats are selling fast.

Crew selected for the flight are looking forward to the opportunity to have some fun and make the flight a truly memorable experience for customers.

“We’re really excited about the flight, and our crew will be thinking about how we can get involved in the festivities,” says Flight Service Manager Karen McLeod.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun for us working on a flight that’s so pink, lively and a little bit risqué!”

But Buckwheat has the final word for would-be Mardi Gras party-goers.

'Be part of history in the making... book online NOW, I know you want to! Don't miss out, we'll see you onboard! Kiss, kiss...”
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This is too much!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Damn.. didn't hear about it in time. *inserts obligatory joke about smuggling sheep onboard a 767*

Jetstar Asia did something similar back in 2006 with a special weekend flight to Phuket from Singapore for the Fridae Nation parties. Heard it wasn't too popular even though the parties attracted more than 10,000 revellers. Maybe the well-heeled party-goers would not be caught dead checking in their Gucci luggage on a budget airline. Or maybe the A310 was not conducive for discerning travellers with only 4 toliet cubicles.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I wonder about the people that end up "accidentally" booked on that as a normally scheduled flight. I'm guessing this was a special charter to avoid that complexity and because it's not showing up in the Star Alliance timetables for March 07.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Shouldn't you have posted this before the event?
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:20 am
2mg

They're doing it again.

Start planning for Mardi Gras 2008!

http://www.airnzspecials.com/pinkflight/

What a great company! Someone finally gets the power of gay money.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
To quote an article in Sydney's SX paper:
Originally Posted by sx
New Zealand’s national carrier, Air New Zealand, is running a gay-themed flight during next year’s Mardi Gras, the Herald Sun reports. The Sydney-bound journey, dubbed ‘The Pink Flight’, will be on a Boeing 777, departing from San Francisco on February 26. It will feature pink drinks, cocktails and drag queens. Passengers are encouraged to board the flight in their Mardi Gras costumes with a “Get-Onboard-Girlfriend” send-off party planned at the departure gate. “Air New Zealand takes pride in our gay-friendliness and sense of fun, so this Pink Flight will be a blast for everyone involved,” said vice president Roger Poulton.
Story here Now NZ's 777's are spanking new. I do wonder though what the other pax will think if people do as invited and wear their MG outfit onboard the flight .
Old Sep 22, 2007, 6:25 am

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
I'm almost a little disappointed I don't live in NZ or San Fran to take advantage of this. Virgin Blue offers a few bits and pieces for Mardi Gra travelers, but nothing like that!
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I'm not sure how someone dressed like this would even get through the door let alone into his seat. That frock would be seriously crumpled by the time it got to SYD. I would hate to be the pax sitting next to him, behind, in front or indeed in the same zone .
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Right now, there is a huge pink billboard at Market and Noe (a block from Market and Castro in San Francisco) that says "Sydney Mardi Gras is the Afterparty/We'll get you there in a cloud of pink/Air New Zealand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.