Any suggestions on:

1.) Good Clubs
2.) Must see sights
3.) Concerns being Gay

-Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:29 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
I have no idea on the nightlife, but in terms of must-see or must-do, get a legit massage while there, go down Nanjing Road (the main pedestrian mall), go in the Peace Hotel, check out Yuyan Gardens (spelled wrong?) and go to an acrobatics show. The acrobatics show at the Ritz was awesome and not expensive. Nothing there is all that pricey. I found Lonely Planet's guide to be good.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
I wasn't too impressed with the Shanghai gay scene from what little I saw. Boy bars for boys who charge by the hour. Seedy unhygenic bathhouses. There is a mostly invisible gay scene for foreign visitors and their admirers who tend to hookup online via gay.com or mygaydar.com. Did not come across any nice bars/clubs of note.

Things to do:
- Walk down the Bund
- Peace Hotel for drinks
- Explore the French settlement
Old Mar 10, 2007, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by vish777
Going next week with the BF we are both 23

Any suggestions on:

1.) Good Clubs
2.) Must see sights
3.) Concerns being Gay

-Thanks
1. Difficult unless you know locals.
2. Yuyuan is nice, though crowded-- good for first time visitor. Walk along the Bund, of course. Walk along Nanjing Rd, and Huaihai Rd (shopping).
3. No problems at all with hotel rooms and all that. Even if you hold hands, people may stare, but not likely to be abusive/ violent.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BA Silver, Accor Gold, A3
Just 2 days...

Hi!

I'll only be able to spend 2 full days (and probably 2 nights) in Shanghai two weeks from now. Anybody any updated advice or tips for Shanghai?

Thanks!
Jeroen
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
There really isn't much of a visible gay scene in Shanghai (really, any visible gay scene). The scene in Hong Kong is much better and even that is far from robust. Now Bangkok... that's a different story .

I don't have any updated information other than what has been posted above - all is generally good advice.

Have fun!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:09 am
aeo

A few good ideas

I've been out in Shanghai a few times over the years, and I think the other posters here are selling the place short a bit. Time Out's Shanghai Guide has some good suggestions. The scene changes quite a bit, but each time I've gone I've been able to find at least one good disco (Dragon, PinkHome, etc.). Of the bars I've visited, I'd recommended Eddy's, a longstanding staple of the scene. I'm sure the staff there will be knowledgeable about other current places. Near Eddy's is a restaurant called Arch that is cool, very gay friendly and a nice place for dinner before a night out.

There are also quite a few other places that are fun and gay-friendly, like People 7, Face, and Mesa and A Future Perfect (both good for brunch).

I'm not much of a sauna person, so I don't know about that.

Utopia is a good resource with up-to-date information:

http://www.utopia-asia.com/chinshan.htm

Have fun!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
You should also try
http://www.fridae.com/cityguides2/city.php?cid=24
Loads of updated information
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:29 pm

Fridae is not updated often as the scene here keeps changing. This is the latest on the scene here:
http://shanghaiist.com/2008/07/15/as...orld_turns.php

The usual Fri night routine here will start at Eddy's, then across the road at Shanghai Studio before jumping into a cab to join the hordes at Club LC. Most of the str8 places mentioned by aeo are quite gay friendly. As there are no antismoking laws in this city, please wear as little as possible.

There are no decent saunas in this town apart from the closetted cruisers at the health clubs at the Ritz Portman, the Grand Hyatt or the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BA Silver, Accor Gold, A3
Thanks! :D

Thanks guys, helps a lot! Looks like I'll be by myself during the week, because none of my mates can join me. I'm sure I'll have fun.

Not looking for sauna's but I am trying to decide where to stay, I'm looking at the Grand Hyatt or the JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square. Can any of you comment on those hotels? Or recommend a better one?

Cheers!
Jeroen
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:44 pm

Depends on what you're after. The Grand Hyatt is out in the boondocks in Pudong but good if you have business on that side of the city. JW Marriott is right smack in the middle of the city on Nanjing Xi Lu with good views.

If this is a holiday, consider the Astor near Suzhou creek or the Radisson Xing Guo in the French Concession for sheer historical values.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: CO
Hi Joene --

Shanghai is absolutely fascinating. The previous posters have given good advice.

As for hotels, if you have business in Pudong, then staying there makes sense. Otherwise, there's no reason to be in Pudong.

In my past 5 visits (in the past 3 years), I've stayed at the JW Marriott and have become a big fan of the hotel. As another poster has said, the location is terrific (much better, for example, than the Four Seasons or Portman-Ritz Carlton). The views are also great, as is the service. Its coffee-house-like restaurant, with a great breakfast and lunch and dinner buffet, is a great alternative if you want a quick, tasty meal. (Of course it also offers a Chinese restaurtant and a very good grill/steakghouse).

I'll be back in Shanghai later this year and again will be at the JW Marriott. If you can swing getting onto a Club floor, the Club lounge offers good snacks, drinks and a very good concierge -- and free internet.

Hope this helps,

Ollie
NYC
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Anyone have updates?

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by mach92
Anyone have updates?...
There's a good article in today's NYTimes describing Shanghai's Gay Pride and the night life in the so-called Gay Triangle and other areas.

It also mentions, "A number of Web sites, including www.utopia-asia.com and www.shanghaiist.com, offer broad-ranging, up-to-date information on Shanghai’s gay scene."
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K , Delta Gold
Club D2 is packed on Sat night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.