Search

Help in Planning PVR Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Help in Planning PVR Trip

Hello,

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta for my birthday in January and need some help with lodging. Since there is at least 2 or 3 of us going i was thinking we'd rent a condo/villa like my friends have done in the past. We are staying for 6 nights and got a great fare on AA ($300!). When i was looking at condos on this site : http://www.pvrpv.com/ they list a lot of areas and things come up with 2-4 bedrooms, etc.

What locations are near the gay beach? but more importantly to my friends, whats the best way to get a place that is downtown near the bars/restaurants. We are definitely willing to pay a premium to not walk/etc. I'd be open to any suggestions or help on this trip.

(ps it's a significant birthday, i'm turning 30)

Chris
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by catwood
Hello,

What locations are near the gay beach? but more importantly to my friends, whats the best way to get a place that is downtown near the bars/restaurants. We are definitely willing to pay a premium to not walk/etc. I'd be open to any suggestions or help on this trip.

(ps it's a significant birthday, i'm turning 30)

Chris
Traffic in and out of the old city can be terrible, if you're interested in something there (it was complete gridlock in low season, mid-October, when we were there).
For privacy, just in case anyone in your group wants their own room:
We did Priceline and got our own rooms at the Radisson (in the city, but not the old city, near lots of good restaurants, nightlife, gay beach areas. Nothing special, but a quite-nice room in a good location for about US$85/night/room. Has a small gym and rooftop pool.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:23 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by catwood
I'm not sure how much this will help, but you def want to be in the southern "old" part of town, south of the bridge... there's a LOT of PVR that isn't in the old part of town, and that's definitely not where you want be :-) the gay beach, bars etc is all down there.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:16 pm

Peurto Vallarta gaylife

Peurto Vallarta gaylife

Firstly, where is the gay area in PV? What's it like?

Also, what is the best way to get to it from Tijuana? I'm having trouble finding a discount airliner that goes that route?

Should I consider going to Guadalajara instead or take the bus?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:02 am

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
Sitting in the Playa Del Sol Cafe´on the Playa des Muertos right now, sipping and iced latte´, using the really cheap internet access, watching the parade of eyecandy headed toward the beach on an absolutely beautiful day...11th day in a row of absolutely beautiful days...2 left before the dreaded return to the north.

Old town is absolutely charming and the gay scene is spreading out a little but you want to be near the Blue Chairs end of the beach. Mañana, Paco Paco, Anthropologie, Los Amigos, and Apache are all 5 dollar cab rides or less; Kit Kat, Garbos, Sama are all easy walking distance...lots of great restaurants close by...El Dorado on the beach is good, had a great meal at Le Bistro on the river the other night, and there is a great new Indian restaurant opened up the hill above Garbos. They are improvising a bit given what they can get here, but one of the owners is Indian, and he is going to India in a few months to purchase two tandori ovens to install. Food was very good.

Hotel Tropicana is right next to my condo and is a very nice property and there were lots of gays staying there last week for Latin Beat. There are lots of rentals around and I got invited to an after party at Casa Elena which was an amazing place way up the hill...8 guys were splitting the rent for the week, didn´t ask, can´t imagine how much it was.

Do not stay out by the airport or the marina or anywhere in Nueva Vallarta...that is not Puerto Vallarta.

OK...off to the pool, then a siesta, then Blue Chairs for sunset!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: *Wood Plat.; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
30?

Thirty, Chris? Congratulations!! (Geeze, I have ties older than that.....)

You'll have fun in PVR. Lots to see and do there.

Now I'm depressed. Good excuse to drink myself silly at the Obar tonight!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
also try:

Take a look at Gay Guide Vallarta to see where you can stay for cheap, and look for things to do.

Do stay close to the Blue Chairs, because that is where most of the great action is. Many fabulous restaurants around the area that are awesome...and best of all, CHEAP.

If you haven't been there before, be patient with how long it takes to get drinks, food. It's not a New York minute, it's a Mexico minute.

Best of all, HAVE FUN!!!

great place that I stayed at (which might be sold out) was Vallarta Shores. just right down from Blue Chairs.

if you want to go Scuba diving: Twin Dolphins PADI Resort Center. Great instructors, cute instructors, and very thorough in showing you what you need to do.

Best of luck and Happy Birthday!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
http://www.gayguidevallarta.com
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
With a group, I think you definitely want to get a condo/apartment on, or within, a block of Los Muertos beach around "Blue Chairs" and the Tropicanna Hotel. You can walk anywhere you will want to go at any time of the day or night. If you find yourself dragging after a late night out, cabs are well under five dollars. One of my favorite restaurants is Archie's Wok. It's been there for years, I think connected to John Huston's family, and has great food at reasonable prices. It is much better than its name might make it sound, and reservations are usually a must.

I just looked at the Vallarta Shores linked in the above post. It looks like it would be ideal.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Mama Delores Diner on Olas Altas (a block from the beach) is a great place for a post-beach snack or some "homestyle" cooking if you get tired of exotic or high-end dining. The owners are not to be missed
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
We ended up booking the boanet place, which now we are referring to as something i can't type or i will have to report myself. They had rooms that were big enough to share, but kept it under $100 a night. A nice big villa would be fun, but i went the more economical route to share.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: United, Alaska
Vallarta Shores is a good suggestion

Vallarta Shores has two three bedroom penthouses, each with its own pool. It also includes a cook which is great for breakfast and for drinks after a day at the blue chairs. There are many good restaurants so we seldom have dinner at the penthouse. Alas, it is usually necessary to reserve way ahead especially for December and spring break.

We also like Casa Cupula which is a walkable distance from Los Muertos. For dinner or a cocktail I am still fond of Kit Kat
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:58 am

pv gay life

there's plenty of current info on the internet about gay life in vallarta, one of the main sites has been mentioned.
the Gay Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide is a good one as well and has valuable info on the beach and nightlife as well as an extensive bit of info on the art scene, plus a good listing of the straight clubs and bars in town. And the gay cruises and tours. there's info as well on the gay owner shops and stores and the gay hotels. plus many beach front condos and villas for rent.

Casa Cupula would be an upscale gay B&B in the Amapas area, while the Villa David is a nice choice for those preferring to be downtown and still within walking distance to the gay bar and beach scene. gay hotels would be the Mercurio, Blue Chairs hotel right on the beach, the Abbey hotel within a block of the beach or the Vallarta Cora if you want a hotter scene in your stay. These hotels are all within 2-5 blocks or so short walk from most bars and the beach.

There's plenty to see and do in Vallarta, or else just kick back at the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.