Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Alexander's, Equator or Big Ruby's in KW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alexander's, Equator or Big Ruby's in KW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Smile Alexander's, Equator or Big Ruby's in KW

Looking to go to Key West in November and have stayed at both the Equator and Big Ruby's once before. Have also heard good things about Alexander's.

Anyways, looking for feedback from those that have stayed at either Alexander's, Equator, or Big Ruby's recently and have their been any changes. I had heard Equator is under new management, Big Ruby's now has a new hot tub, etc.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:22 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by lawnboy246
Looking to go to Key West in November and have stayed at both the Equator and Big Ruby's once before. Have also heard good things about Alexander's.

Anyways, looking for feedback from those that have stayed at either Alexander's, Equator, or Big Ruby's recently and have their been any changes. I had heard Equator is under new management, Big Ruby's now has a new hot tub, etc.

Thanks!
And you're not considering the Island House because...? :-)

FWIW I'm not familiar with those properties, but I remember the Gay.com travel section has a REALLY good Key West guide (from the Out and About guys)... it was invaluable when I planned a trip last year. Just in case you can't find what you're looking for here, or want other referrals/tips.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pnoeric
And you're not considering the Island House because...? :-) Because my partner and I are not interested in that type of atmosphere.

FWIW I'm not familiar with those properties, but I remember the Gay.com travel section has a REALLY good Key West guide (from the Out and About guys)... it was invaluable when I planned a trip last year. Just in case you can't find what you're looking for here, or want other referrals/tips.As indicated, we have stayed at Big Ruby's and the Equator, both are excellent properties, and as noted in the gay.com reviews, Big Ruby's is one of the best! However, looking for feedback from those that have stayed there recently to see if that still holds true.

Last edited by lawnboy246; Sep 29, 2006 at 1:40 pm
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:46 am

Helpful Suggestion

If you are staying away from Island House because of its reputation, I suggest you stop by Island House during Happy Hour (Island House has a bar/restaurant that is open to the public). I think you'll see that it is much more than a bathhouse. Island House may well be the best gay resort in the country.

Give it a chance. A lot of locals come by during Happy Hour and the whole scene is a lot of fun!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aeneastwin
If you are staying away from Island House because of its reputation, I suggest you stop by Island House during Happy Hour (Island House has a bar/restaurant that is open to the public). I think you'll see that it is much more than a bathhouse. Island House may well be the best gay resort in the country.

Give it a chance. A lot of locals come by during Happy Hour and the whole scene is a lot of fun!
Absolutely, I second that. You can have as much or as little of the alternative entertainments as you please.

The rooms are superb, Westin Heavenly beds mean you sleep like a baby your whole stay, the pool is great and friendly, the bar is almost always open, the food in the cafe delicious and diverse - and, well the list goes on, but we are not just saying this, few people visit just once, and many become regular visitors; just try and get a room there and you will see weekends are sold out literally months ahead of time, and there is good reason for that.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:05 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by aeneastwin

Truly: I stayed the Island House and was pleasently surprised-- no, make that blown away-- at the quality of the accomodations. It is NOT the "trashy place" I expected... and the "trashy" parts seemed to be isolated in the bathhouse-y area which is easily avoided. Heck, even the food was terrific, to my surprise :-)

At the very least, if you don't book it this time, check it out when you're there.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:08 am

Our choice has always been the Equator. Yes, they sold last year, but the managenent and staff are the same great folks.
We like the fact that the Equator is all male- just a personal choice.
The pool was re-done and is very nice. When we were there in June they were in the process of replacing beds and furnishings. Looks like the new owner is going to put a lot of exciting changes into place. I know there is a new jacuzzi in progress, not sure of it's status. Really didn't matter to us, as it was too hot in June to ever think about a hot tub.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
We stayed at Alexanders a couple of years ago and found it quite nice.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
My vote is with Island House... It's most likely the best place to stay gay in Key West, if not the USA. Very comfortable and allows the option to be as wild or as mild as you'd like to be.

BN
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:56 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
I have just returned from a stay in Key West and can offer some thoughts on both Island House and Alexanders.

We (couple) stayed at Alexanders while our single friend stayed at Island House. I was very impressed with both of them but feel that they really cater to different markets in a way - Island House is more of a "knocking shop" as my significant other said, it has a spectacular restaurant and there are lots of guys around. I did have agreat lunch there although the constant flow of "private bits" walking by as we were eating became a little tired after all of 5 minutes.

Having seen Island House and stayed at Alexanders, we will be back to Alexanders - it is smaller, and feels a lot more intimate. I loved the fact that I could stretch breakfast at Alexanders over a 2 hour odd period havign a little bit of everything while I read the morning papers and chatted with other guests.

Hope this helps and have a brilliant time in KW !!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:59 am
Original Poster

"knocking shop"

Very well stated...granted there are those that will love the Island House, but it all depends on what you are there for. We haven't tried Alexanders, but definitely recommend Big Ruby's. Might have to give Alexanders a try next time.

Originally Posted by pdsuk
I have just returned from a stay in Key West and can offer some thoughts on both Island House and Alexanders.

We (couple) stayed at Alexanders while our single friend stayed at Island House. I was very impressed with both of them but feel that they really cater to different markets in a way - Island House is more of a "knocking shop" as my significant other said, it has a spectacular restaurant and there are lots of guys around. I did have agreat lunch there although the constant flow of "private bits" walking by as we were eating became a little tired after all of 5 minutes.

Having seen Island House and stayed at Alexanders, we will be back to Alexanders - it is smaller, and feels a lot more intimate. I loved the fact that I could stretch breakfast at Alexanders over a 2 hour odd period havign a little bit of everything while I read the morning papers and chatted with other guests.

Hope this helps and have a brilliant time in KW !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.