Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

"Beautiful Thing" Back in London July 19-September 9 2006

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

To any of you planning a jaunt across the pond to London this summer, or locals looking for a night up in town, the award winning production of Jonathan Harvey's moving Coming of Age story Beautiful Thing reprises itself at the Sound Theatre in Wardour Street, Soho.

This is an excellent and intimate venue, formerly a nightclub and therefore with superb air conditioning, and has an open air bar downstairs. Usually showing gay-themed live theatre, and well worth frequenting.

I generally avoid the theatre during hot and crowded summer, but this is one exception to the rule.

The boys are back in town!

Leah loves Mama Cass. Ste loves football. Jamie is in love with Ste. During one long, hot summer in Thamesmead, three teenagers edge towards adulthood.

Jonathan Harvey's urban fairytale celebrates love on a South London council estate. After a sell-out January run, this sparkling production returns to Sound Theatre, Leicester Square for a limited run.

"Gay love story still packs a punch"
Evening Standard, Critics' Choice

"Just what the Sound Theatre needs to put itself on the map"
Time Out, Critics' Choice
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If this is included along with a trip to the new production of "Sunday in the Park with George" a visit to London becomes even more tempting....
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
If this is included along with a trip to the new production of "Sunday in the Park with George" a visit to London becomes even more tempting....
Is "Billy Elliot" still running. If so, it's worth seeing. It's amazing how much the "Thatcher" metaphors worked for current issues.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by sushibear
Is "Billy Elliot" still running. If so, it's worth seeing. It's amazing how much the "Thatcher" metaphors worked for current issues.

Yes and Yes. Billy Elliot is still in production (until March 2007 for now). http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....ontentId/80718
Old Jul 15, 2006, 1:51 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by Mr MCO
Yes and Yes. Billy Elliot is still in production (until March 2007 for now). http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....ontentId/80718
In that case, I wouldn't miss it. I don't like to build up expectations, but after what I thought was a slow start, it blew me away. There seems to be some question about whether it will make it to New York, so I would definitely encourage trying to see it.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sushibear
There seems to be some question about whether it will make it to New York, so I would definitely encourage trying to see it.
I understand "Billy Elliot" is opening in Toronto next, before any NY run. As much as I like it when I saw it last year, I questioned whether it would even work on Broadway.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by krug
The award winning production of Jonathan Harvey's moving Coming of Age story Beautiful Thing reprises itself at the Sound Theatre in Wardour Street, Soho.
"Mr Harvey has created in this play a true winner that everyone should go and see, and I think it makes a fantastic final production for the Sound Theatre to bow out in style to (incidentally the loss of such an intimate theatre venue is a crime in my book). Go and see this while you have chance - the ticket price is worth it for the final scene alone." Read the full review here

Last edited by GlobalFlyer-UK; Sep 11, 2006 at 5:26 am
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'm so bummed I didn't see the original post till today. Would've found a way to go see it.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
bugger bugger bugger. Am so with myself for not seeing this post till right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.