Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
Tips for Kuala Lumpur

Got a business stay comming up in Kualar Lumpur will be staying at The Regent Hotel, any tips for gay bars or suanas?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Have a look at the Fridae website on KL
The Blue Boy bar and Day Themos sauna are very convinient and are literally behind your hotel although they are not necessarily the bests places to go.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jun 11, 2006 at 2:28 am
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Is Gay activity, especially Sauna activity legal in KL ?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:03 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
not officially, but there certainly is action. Most of the shopping arcades are pretty cruisy also. Regent is great choice, my favorite in KL.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
I'll be in KL next week and staying at the Westin opposite.
There was a recent crackdown on some saunas "activities" recently.
So most of the saunas now have been cleaned up.
Though the Bukit Bintang area is a great place to "bird-watch".
Bambusa Spa next to your hotel is also a fine place to relax.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Much cruising

Your hotel is very central for what bars there are in KL. One thing about cruising generally - the Malaysians rely a lot on eye contact so street cruising's always a possibility, especially in that area. The mall diagonally opposite your hotel (opposite Lot 10 shopping complex) (Sungei something)has a cruising "floor" - find the Reliance Travel Agency on (I think) the 3rd floor - the cruising's not far away (just keep your eyes open, you'll soon realise who's around and what's going on) although it pays not to be self-conscious (all the shopkeepers know that's what you're there for). Lot 10 also has possibilities and there's an overpass between the two buildings. I'd be trying the http://www.utopia-asia.com site as well - they have an extensive Malaysian tips section. If you take your laptop gay.com has endless possibilities. Being an outsider helps - coming out to their own countrymen by having sex with them is an issue in many Asian countries

However, if you encounter a problem by taking someone back to your room eg. theft, don't expect a sympathetic hearing from the local constabulary (it may happen, just don't expect it)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
KL has a pretty good gay scene. My favs are Frangipani and Bliss. Both are in the Bukit Bintang area near your hotel, and both are busy during the weekend. Beautiful boys too :-) They both have bar areas and dance floors. The music can get pretty loud but you can escape from it easily. Not sure if KL has a gay venue that's just a bar per se, like Backstage in SIN or Balcony in BKK.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Gold; IHG Plat AMB
Crowne Plaza Mutiara

Visiting KL for the first tme in October. Are there any gay venues within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza? Or would it be better to change and stay in the city centre area?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Mr. Megatop and I were in KL earlier this month, and we can confirm what blueDC wrote: Frangiapani is still a happening place for The Gays, especially on Friday night. It's a very good fusion restaurant (wine list heavy on over-the-top French but precious few New World choices) with a large upstairs bar area. Until 11, the bar was a morgue. Everyone encouraged us to stick it out a little longer. Alas, we called our hotel to have the driver pick us up. While waiting for him, we saw an endless stream of KL's gay urban professionals pouring into Frangiapani-- and not the mix of farang daddies and money boys you see in Silom Soi 4.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Gold; IHG Plat AMB
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look-out for it when I'm there.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Love the Regent and the club floor facilities tho the gym facilities pales in comparsion to the cruisy pool scene at the Renaissance/New World or the Mandarin Oriental.

Best way to meet KL natives is online. Best place to meet fellow visitors is in your hotel gym or out in the clubs.

KenJohn is right to point out the bar (BlueBoy - one of the oldest bars in KL) and sauna (Day Thermos - lots of other bottoms there too) in the back alley right behind the Regent Hotel. I remember going to BlueBoy when I was only 16! Its quite tired in the early evenings but perks up with a good Malay/Chinese mature crowd later in the night. Liquid @ Central Market, Frangipani and La Queen appear to be the places to go now.

Saunas are not exactly legal but tolerated and quite safe. Like the spots in San Francisco, saunas in KL do not have private cubicles. My favourite is OTOT near the Putra World Trade Center and the New Chakran.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Alawyer
Love the Regent and the club floor facilities tho the gym facilities pales in comparsion to the cruisy pool scene at the Renaissance/New World or the Mandarin Oriental.
Did I read somewhere that the Regent KL is being re-branded as something else, maybe like a... Copthorne or something?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Did I read somewhere that the Regent KL is being re-branded as something else, maybe like a... Copthorne or something?
Couldn't tell you where you read it anywhere, but when I was there and looking for the Regent, the building that I thought should have been the Regent, based on the map I had (not completely reliable, FWIW), seemed to be undergoing refurbishment and rebranding as a Millennium Hotel, that being an affiliate of Copthorne of course. I couldn't tell whether it was even open. Someone else may know definitively.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Jun 27, 2007 at 5:29 am
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:14 am

I also enjoyed my stay at the Regent. The club floor staff were very attentive indeed. I found the whole area of Bukit Bintang very cruisy indeed, esp the outdoor cafes opposite. The waiter there gave me two phone numbers from " customers who have just left" ! I wonder if I shoudl have called them...maybe they were working lol
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Couldn't tell you where you read it anywhere, but when I was there and looking for the Regent, the building that I thought should have been the Regent, based on the map I had (not completely reliable, FWIW), seemed to be undergoing refurbishment and rebranding as a Millennium Hotel, that being an affiliate of Copthorne of course. I couldn't tell whether it was even open. Someone else may know definitively.
Yes, I just googled it--The Regent KL is now the Millennium KL, undergoing a major refurb.
Hope it's still as nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.