Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Airports that Sell Gay Magazines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports that Sell Gay Magazines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by simon stingray
They are all still there. Lots of nice DVD's too
Some friends got me a gay mag from AMS... and it isn't the sort of magazine that I'd want to be seen in public with in any context.

HKG also sells the stuff in virtually every WH Smith (or every 100 meters of airport)
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
VIE has a sex shop
and FRA has at least 2

You can get all the mags u wnat there.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Originally Posted by Auracon
In lieu of my previous post in which I expressed my difficulty of not carrying a gay magazine such as Out, Advocate, etc while having found an incredibly attractive family person on board and having badly failed in locating one of the mags in bookstores of LAX, I think it would be fun to start a thread compiling a list of airports that SELL these magazines!

Airport:
Sale Location: [Name of the store], where in what terminal
List of mags:

So far, I have none. Help?

I thought Men's Fitness, Men's Health, Details and Vanity Fair were widely distributed!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Airport: DEN
Sale Location: Newsstands in center retail area, Concourse B
List of mags: Out, Genre (interestingly, not The Advocate)

You're welcome.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
To the OP: just find the one magazine cover that best conveys the image you want others to see in you, and the one that is going to attract the man you want to score, put it in your carry-on bag, and keep it with you at all times.

Laptop? Check!
Tickets? Check!
Passort? Check!
Hotel Confirmation? Check!
Gay rag? Check!

Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:46 am

I have seen a selection of Gay magazines at the following airports.

Toronto
Vancouver
Montreal
London (XXX)
Berlin (XXX)
Amsterdam
Frankfurt
Madrid
Paris
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 2p/Starwood/AA/TG
I tend to be well dressed and have been thought of as straight by so many people.

I didn't realize dressing well would result in being mistaken for straight; I thought it was the other way around??
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, where did this notion that dressing well means not gay come from?

Now, granted, I tend to see a lot more older gays wearing clothes that might have been OK when they were in high school than I do straights, but if we're going to stereotype, I don't think the gay stereotype is "poorly dressed."
Old May 2, 2006, 11:27 am

There are loads of mags to choose from at LHR. WH Smith, all terminals, landside and airside.
You can even get French ones from the international section.....
Old May 2, 2006, 12:01 pm

AA LAX - OUT and Advocate

AA SFO - nada!! ??

LHR 3 - Gay Times, Attitude (UK publications)
Old May 2, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold, LH SEN, *Wood Platinum
Was browsing magazines in AUS and notices copies of OUT and Advocate on the rack. One of them, can't remember which, caught my eye due to a cover story on gay indie bands. A quick read of the article reminded me why I don't subscribe.

Vanity Fair is my usual in-flight read - I had no idea it identified me as fabulously gay flyer. Reading anything by David Sedaris might be another "gay identifier" idea.
Old May 6, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
You hit it on the nail with me mumbri ... I'm forever wondering why Hudson News (who seem to have all the outlets at New York airports) never have a single gay magazine - Details is about it! And in New York! I always seem to forget when I'm returning to London and then fail to have any offerings. Is this a conspiracy? Is Hudson News owned by the the christian right?
Old May 6, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Most of the concessions at airports in the US are controlled by HMS Host. They run all those bookstore brands, they have franchises for McDonald's, Chili's, etc.

I doubt that it's Hudson news, but the HMS airport manager who makes those buying decisions.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: CO Onepass, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
[QUOTE=Solblanc]Some friends got me a gay mag from AMS... and it isn't the sort of magazine that I'd want to be seen in public with in any context.

I got a laugh out of that...a few years back in GIG I purchased a VERY gay magazine for a friend back here in the States that likes that sort of thing, and had it discreetly in my luggage in a brown paper bag. Guess who got randomly pulled aside at check-in to have his bags searched? The rather young (and cute) Brazilian security guard of course just HAD to open up that bag, much to my embarrassment. He looked at the naked guy on the cover, then gave me a big ole grin and put it back!
Old May 7, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DFW Terminal B: Not a single gay mag in any newsstand I could find. Oh, wait... plenty of copies of Exercise: For Men Only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.