Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Queens Day Celebration and Amsterdam.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

I will be in Amsterdam during the Queen's Day Celebrations.

Wondering if anyone else is going to be there?

Also, any tips on where to go to have a "wicked " time would be appreciated

I would also welcome any suggestions on apartments or hotels that you have enjoyed.

Thank You very much for any responses!!!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:33 am

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
Queens Day

Like last year we will celebrate Queens Day on Saturday the 29th as the 30th is a Sunday and due to some religions the celebrations are on Saturday (Why not Monday as the rest of Europe is off as well??!!)

The best place to go (from 16.00 hr) is the corner of the Amstel and Halvemaansteeg / Kloveniersburgwal. This is the place were people come togehter. There is a lot of music. You can order your drinks from beertenders on the street.

Reguliersdwarsstraat has a lot of activities and music as well. There are a lot of events

But the city is packed with people and lot of activities all day.

There are events on the Fridaynight as well.

I just finished a stay in IBIS Stopera Hotel, booked through http://www.hotels.nl/ which means reduction of prices of about Euro 20 per room per night. This hotel is on walking distance from all the activities (Hotel loacted Valkenburglaan, just behind the Waterloo plein. (ask for a room at the backsite of the hotel, the street is rather bussy at night as well)

Another good hotel is Best Western Eden Hotel at the Amstel.

Have a nice time in Amsterdam!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply

I will be staying at the Marriott on Leidesplein. Any opinions about this hotel?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

bump!

I am sure there must be more peopel on this forum who have been to Amsterdam!!!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: NWA worldperks , priority club rewards
Originally Posted by Hemi
Thanks for your reply

I will be staying at the Marriott on Leidesplein. Any opinions about this hotel?
I've stayed there many times. Very good hotel. Great location. I suspect
you will be very satisfied with this hotel. I've also been to Queensday many times. The night before Queensday is no day to "turn in early". Be sure to be out on the streets for the hullabaloo around 2:00 AM Queensday. But if youv'e experienced this before, you will already know this.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:18 pm

packed with people

The city will be packed from one end of town to the other end. Because there are so many people the trams will not run through the streets, no car allowed, no cabs allowed, no bikes, maybe umbrellas will be allowed, and it will take 30 minutes to walk a normal two minute walk.

On the Amstel River at the Amstel Bar from 4pm and on a stage is set up with beer flowing all around. On the Warmoesstraat all day long and Leidesplein as well. The Exit and Cockring Disco for dancing.

Eating, good luck buy peanut butter and rolls for your hotel room. If you do not have a room by now it will be take what you can get. Prices will be full price for this holiday.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:42 am
Suspended

i booked something at the hotel pulitzer...not 100% sure i will attend but wanted to hold a room. there was still availability.

food in amsterdam is lousy anyway. even without this holiday peanut butter in the room is a decent option. but, who goes to amsterdam for the food?

this event sounds like fun.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:35 am

now whats wrong with our food
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: AA Exp
The night before queens day, is the night that the locals go out. I would recommend going to “Spui” (dance music is played there, so it attracts a lot of young people) or the area called the “Jordaan” (Bands play on several stages, it attracts people that are a little older). The Leidse square is always a safe bet, both on the night before queens day and on queens day itself.

On queens day take a stroll through the “Vondelpark”, the whole park is turned into a flee market, but people also try to make money in other ways, for example for a Euro, you can throw eggs at people. Be sure to look at all the boats that are cruising on the canals. Especially if you stand at an intersection of canals, it is quite enjoyable to see all the boats bump into each other.

Besides that, just walk around the city, it’s quite compact so you’ll be able to see everything!

It’s not true bikes are not allowed on queens day. Cabs do run, but only after around 11PM, but they will rip you off and expect to stand in line for quite a bit
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:18 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
food in amsterdam is lousy anyway.

Agree 100%

Rgs,
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:16 pm

the food, I like..

Originally Posted by Hansie
New herring, like the cheese, like a panokake with cheese, dutch steak and mashed potatoes with scallions.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hansie
Beats me. I enjoy it. Can't go wrong with beer and cheese.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:23 pm
Suspended

i am still considering going but i am concerned about going myself. a friend of mine said that it is all about being invited to parties and group "picnics", etc.

is this event okay solo? i don't want to just hang out in the bars the whole time. i get the sense its about parties.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I went to A'dam on Queensday in '04 by happenstance and I think your concerns have grounds. I felt like I was alone in a crowd. I wouldn't do it again, but you might have better luck.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
I went to A'dam on Queensday in '04 by happenstance and I think your concerns have grounds. I felt like I was alone in a crowd. I wouldn't do it again, but you might have better luck.
trust me, i wouldn't. being alone in a bar without friends terrifies me. i hate it. when i meet friends at bars, i always show up late to avoid that situation. and, if they aren't there, i walk around the block until they show up...regardless of temperature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.