FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Gay BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/492222-gay-bkk.html)

LH7119 Feb 25, 2007 10:47 am

gay BKK

BTW: Is not almost every relationship also a hidden form of prostitution ? So good luck with your "professional English speaking" guys :D :D .[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with behuman. After nearly 20 years of visiting Thailand I decided to quit and move to Malaysia. In Thailand, you will always remain a 'farang' (falang), a whitie, Westerner or foreigner. Even the so-called English-speaking professional Thais expect you to make a 'gift'. Never made a real Thai friend. All my friends there were Caucasians.
Thais are brought up to think that anything Caucasian is a wallet on two legs. Succumb to their charms and smiles, but never forget that you are a walking charity making one donation after the other for their charms. :mad:

kyushuman Feb 25, 2007 11:17 am

deleted

kyushuman Feb 25, 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by LH7119 (Post 7292625)
BTW: Is not almost every relationship also a hidden form of prostitution ? So good luck with your "professional English speaking" guys :D :D .

I couldn't agree more with behuman. After nearly 20 years of visiting Thailand I decided to quit and move to Malaysia. In Thailand, you will always remain a 'farang' (falang), a whitie, Westerner or foreigner. Even the so-called English-speaking professional Thais expect you to make a 'gift'. Never made a real Thai friend. All my friends there were Caucasians.
Thais are brought up to think that anything Caucasian is a wallet on two legs. Succumb to their charms and smiles, but never forget that you are a walking charity making one donation after the other for their charms. :mad:

[/QUOTE]
Hmmm.....Maybe I'm lucky??
I wonder what that makes my two separate Thai "acquaintances," both gay, who would NEVER let me pay for anything, when we were out and about in BKK? Who brought me to their families' houses, who I've taken trips with?
I never went out to Soi 4 with them, there weren't into that. They were, however, into hanging out, going to have coffee, going shopping, eating out. Kinda like "friends"?

I wonder if it's the country, or the visitor?

Gay_Traveler Feb 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Hmmm.....Maybe I'm lucky??
I wonder what that makes my two separate Thai "acquaintances," both gay, who would NEVER let me pay for anything, when we were out and about in BKK? Who brought me to their families' houses, who I've taken trips with?
I never went out to Soi 4 with them, there weren't into that. They were, however, into hanging out, going to have coffee, going shopping, eating out. Kinda like "friends"?

I wonder if it's the country, or the visitor?[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, I have never had an issue with my friends in Phuket and Patong. Even the people we hire while staying there are genuine, one driver we use, Viro, even took us to his granddaughters birthday celebration after our road trip with him.

I find the Thai people to be real and accomodating to our poor American practices.

HOWEVER I have been to the paradise complex and yes there you are simply a walking wallet, but isn't everyone?

I love Thailand...

Alawyer Feb 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Its heartening to read about these experiences. So often have we become jaded by the frequent Thai sexploitation sobstories. To be surprised when we are offered these genuine gestures. How the Big Mango continues to captivate us again and again.

I love Thailand...

Gay_Traveler Feb 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 7295271)
Its heartening to read about these experiences. So often have we become jaded by the frequent Thai sexploitation sobstories. To be surprised when we are offered these genuine gestures. How the Big Mango continues to captivate us again and again.

I love Thailand...

I so agree, we have traveled the world and my husband and I accept the fact that sexploitation exists in many countries, as does the free drug trade in other countries and all out racism in countries as well. We know issues exist but it is all part of the journey, not to support and or partake but to understand it exists and to tell others so that some day it may no longer be required.

A country like Thailand is to be cherished and I am proud to be visitor.

MegatopLover Feb 26, 2007 6:42 am

I'm with Gay_traveler and Alawyer. I love Thailand and its people. I'm realistic about where Thailand is in the world, and I take a live-and-let-live approach when interacting with Thais and Thai culture on all levels. I've certainly (and gratefully) been cruised by many an English-speaking member of what I call the Commercial Class (the upwardly mobile, middle- and upper- classes of Thais who deal with foreigners regularly or work in international commerce of one kind or another), and I've rarely felt targeted by moneyboys. You can see that going on in Soi 4 and you can see the sex industry at the go-go bars, but that's just part of what Bangkok is. You can spend time with plenty of Thais you met through friends or met for the first time, and as often as not they'll insist on paying for dinner or drinks or what-have-you, despite the income differential between them and a professional foreigner visiting Bangkok.

For the record, FWIW, Mr. Megatop, my partner of eight years, is Thai and resides in Bangkok.

peteropny Feb 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 7297351)
For the record, FWIW, Mr. Megatop, my partner of eight years, is Thai and resides in Bangkok.

And I'm originally Thai :)

Gay_Traveler Feb 28, 2007 6:38 am

Drag Queen Theatre

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 7310778)
And I'm originally Thai :)

There was a place we went to in Patong or actually between Patong and Phuket. It was a theatre with drag queens, live musical perfrormances, and after the show they all were outside for photos (for tips). Can anyone recall the name?

Rampo Feb 28, 2007 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Gay_Traveler (Post 7312174)
There was a place we went to in Patong or actually between Patong and Phuket. It was a theatre with drag queens, live musical perfrormances, and after the show they all were outside for photos (for tips). Can anyone recall the name?

Hmmm. When was this? I'm confused about what you mean by "between Patong and Phuket." Was it one of the clubs in the Paradise area of Patong Beach? Tangmo? Apart from My Way and Boat Bar, there's a lot of turnover of ownership and club names. The biggest ladyboy shows in Thailand are at Tiffany and Alcazar, both in North Pattaya. There is also a Simon's in Chiang Mai. But I'm really not recalling any place of a remotely similar scale on Phuket. The posing for photos for 100 baht tips is SOP at all these places.

ll22949 Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rampo (Post 7313252)
Hmmm. When was this? I'm confused about what you mean by "between Patong and Phuket." Was it one of the clubs in the Paradise area of Patong Beach? Tangmo? Apart from My Way and Boat Bar, there's a lot of turnover of ownership and club names. The biggest ladyboy shows in Thailand are at Tiffany and Alcazar, both in North Pattaya. There is also a Simon's in Chiang Mai. But I'm really not recalling any place of a remotely similar scale on Phuket. The posing for photos for 100 baht tips is SOP at all these places.

I believe you are talking about Simon Caberet. It is a big purple building near Patong beach. It is quite famous in Phuket for its drag caberet. After the show all the performers come outside for you to take pictures. Tipping, of course, is not optional if you have your picture taken.

Gay_Traveler Mar 1, 2007 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ll22949 (Post 7317434)
I believe you are talking about Simon Caberet. It is a big purple building near Patong beach. It is quite famous in Phuket for its drag caberet. After the show all the performers come outside for you to take pictures. Tipping, of course, is not optional if you have your picture taken.

That is it! I could not remember the name and the photos I took did not have the name in any of them.

It was a great show, and the cast was actually very friendly, not overly aggressive for photos/tips.

We also went to Fantasea at Kamal Beach.
Quite an experience as well.

aurigakb Mar 10, 2007 5:28 pm

?calypso ladyboy show

Has anyone been to see the Calypso Ladyboy show in BKK? I am thinking about whether it is worth spending an evening of our three night visit.

Dan6681 Mar 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by aurigakb (Post 7379528)
Has anyone been to see the Calypso Ladyboy show in BKK? I am thinking about whether it is worth spending an evening of our three night visit.

Is it the one at that hotel that starts at the 20th floor of a building? If so I saw it in 2004, it was fun, and not too pricey.

rosscali Jun 3, 2008 1:08 pm

Bangkok Hotels and gyms

It's been 10 years since I've been to Bangkok and I'm sure that the place has changed some. I have read the posts on hotels in Bangkok. When I was going through Bangkok I often stayed at the Grand Hyatt Erawan and its gym was "off the hook" cruisy with local Thai gays who had to pay a stiff membership fee to join this gym. I heard after that time (late 90ies) the gym crowd moved to the Four Seasons nearby. Does anyone have any updated comments on this?

Also, for *wood properties what is currently a good option...

Thanks for your comments... seriously thinking about going in early December