FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Gay BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/492222-gay-bkk.html)

trekkie Feb 4, 2007 10:17 am

thanks for the advise...

i have been reading curiously at the number of posts on bkk and one that caught my attention was that an implication that after 10pm, all the "normal" people disappeared and all the night people appear and some of whom were deem odd...

im just wondering abt Fter's experience with gay bars in bkk. is it really unsafe to venture to the bars at night?? cos 10pm seem like a busy time for most gay bars around the world.

Scott218 Feb 4, 2007 11:21 am

Not that all. I ventured by myself after 10pm and it was perfectly fine (that was back in December before the bombings).

The clubs and bars don't really get going until after 10pm (esp on Friday and Saturday).

holtju2 Feb 4, 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by trekkie (Post 7156365)
i have been reading curiously at the number of posts on bkk and one that caught my attention was that an implication that after 10pm, all the "normal" people disappeared and all the night people appear and some of whom were deem odd...

im just wondering abt Fter's experience with gay bars in bkk. is it really unsafe to venture to the bars at night?? cos 10pm seem like a busy time for most gay bars around the world.

The Gay BKK is not as exciting as in some other cities in the world, although it is not bad and I am sure that some others will disagree with me. For me at least it seemed that there were more of older gays around.

There are quite a few bars in Silom 4 of which the Cafe 4 was the only one where I would set my foot in and where I actually had great time. No older gays with their far younger Thai friends aka moneyboys.

Alawyer Feb 4, 2007 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Scott218 (Post 7156693)
The clubs and bars don't really get going until after 10pm (esp on Friday and Saturday).

And they close at 2am. Z z z z z.

Follow the Thai crowd at DJ to the unlisted afterhours clubs for some nonstop predawn fun.

Jimmy67 Feb 6, 2007 3:46 am

The Metropolitan

I wonder that nobody mentioned The Metropolitan.
A superb design hotel which attracts a young , wealthy, artsy crowd.
From what saw, the gay asian jet-set also stays there,
Refreshingly very little older american/european rice queens though :D

http://www.metropolitan.como.bz/bang...sp?section=178

Rampo Feb 6, 2007 8:38 am

... the gay asian jet-set also stays there ...
Strike one.

Edit: Those preferring a snob's eye view of Bangkok might want to read this article.

MegatopLover Feb 9, 2007 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Rampo (Post 7167910)
Edit: Those preferring a snob's eye view of Bangkok might want to read this article.

I'm not so sure that's entirely a snob's eye view. I'd say it's just written for an English-speaking audience of visitors to Bangkok, not locals or those connected to locals. It had a slight snobby edge, like the shameless name-dropping with the Pink Night promoter, but the fundamental point was a more or less fair one. Silom isn't dead, but the farang:Thai ratio has certainly deteriorated. Thais have moved to Langsuan (the distict on the northern edge of Lumpini Park) and other spots farther afield.

Rampo Feb 9, 2007 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 7190206)
I'm not so sure that's entirely a snob's eye view. I'd say it's just written for an English-speaking audience of visitors to Bangkok, not locals or those connected to locals.

Fair enough, MTL. It's great that the number, style and location of gay venues in BKK has expanded in recent years, although I think that many western visitors may have difficulty finding some of the venues and will not always find a welcoming atmosphere. I guess the article annoyed me because it is basically praising the Bangkok gay scene for becoming yet another clone of the trendy urban gay scene that you can find in any other major city. I mean, extolling Siam Paragon and its "chic Euro-boutiques", for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

MegatopLover Feb 9, 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Rampo (Post 7190735)
I guess the article annoyed me because it is basically praising the Bangkok gay scene for becoming yet another clone of the trendy urban gay scene that you can find in any other major city. I mean, extolling Siam Paragon and its "chic Euro-boutiques", for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

Those are good points. Yes, most of Siam Paragon can be found at any upscale mall anywhere in the world, thus making it categorically boring and useful only for people-watching. Praising it for attracting the ex-SIN and ex-HKG muscled jetset is equally boring/amusing. What I did like, and focused on, was the coverage of Bangkok's move away from fawning-over-farang venues to a more developed local scene. You're also correct, though, that many non-Thais might find it difficult to fit in at such places without locals to help.

Alawyer Feb 11, 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover (Post 7191142)
Those are good points. Yes, most of Siam Paragon can be found at any upscale mall anywhere in the world, thus making it categorically boring and useful only for people-watching. Praising it for attracting the ex-SIN and ex-HKG muscled jetset is equally boring/amusing. What I did like, and focused on, was the coverage of Bangkok's move away from fawning-over-farang venues to a more developed local scene. You're also correct, though, that many non-Thais might find it difficult to fit in at such places without locals to help.

Well this ex-SIN un-muscled jetset will be in BKK this weekend to escape the domestic horrors of Chinese New Year (along with half of the gay population in Singapore). Am looking forward to my usual Thai forays.

The best spots in Bangkok are the non-gay places. Ultra chic Bed Supper turns pink on Sunday night and most of the joints in Langsuan won't even wink if you cuddle up to your Thai squeeze. There is more to the city of angels than the tired Silom scene. Love Bangkok for its tolerant lifestyle and fantastic posh-nosh. Not to mention a great street food scene.

MegatopLover Feb 12, 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 7204779)
Well this ex-SIN un-muscled jetset will be in BKK this weekend to escape the domestic horrors of Chinese New Year (along with half of the gay population in Singapore). Am looking forward to my usual Thai forays.
The best spots in Bangkok are the non-gay places. Ultra chic Bed Supper turns pink on Sunday night and most of the joints in Langsuan won't even wink if you cuddle up to your Thai squeeze. There is more to the city of angels than the tired Silom scene. Love Bangkok for its tolerant lifestyle and fantastic posh-nosh. Not to mention a great street food scene.

I heartily agree. The Silom scene was particularly bad in December, a shadow of its former self from five years ago. Langsuan and some of my other usual Thai forays, mmmkay, are definitely on for my next visit.

Looking back and reading my last post in this thread by itself, it strikes me as a bit out of context. I didn't mean to dump on the ex-SIN and ex-HKG muscle boys. They can certainly be fun. I welcome meeting them (the ones without attitude, and most don't seem to have too much attitude, as distinguished from NYers) in SIN, HKG, and BKK. Nothing wrong with them. I just found the author of that piece's tracking their movements hackneyed.

skyrider007 Feb 19, 2007 12:43 pm

come to my pool party at my residence on sukhumvit road. i import gay boys* :p from the uk, germany and sweden every summer. rsvp only :cool:

*friends

behuman Feb 23, 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 7159911)
There are quite a few bars in Silom 4 of which the Cafe 4 was the only one where I would set my foot in and where I actually had great time. No older gays with their far younger Thai friends aka moneyboys.

You must be young and beautiful :p :p - I am perhaps older and respectful :) .

What is a moneyboy? What is the situation for young people in rural Thailand? What disturbs you outside Soi 4?

Even in Soi 4 you may be considered as a rich westerner and expected to "behave" accordingly :D :D .

Alawyer Feb 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 7280507)
You must be young and beautiful :p :p - I am perhaps older and respectful :) .

What is a moneyboy? What is the situation for young people in rural Thailand? What disturbs you outside Soi 4?

Even in Soi 4 you may be considered as a rich westerner and expected to "behave" accordingly :D :D .

Well what disturbs me is that most westerners visiting BKK head to the meat markets there in Soi 4 and assumes the worst about the local gay population being money-grubbing, souless creatures.

The professional English speaking Thai people who are not interested in your money avoid these establishments to not be placed in the same categories. It is a puzzle figuring out how to reach out to meet this segment.

Even Bed Supperclub seems to be losing that chic factor judging from the pink night last Sunday. Only bored tourists and brazen dancing women (not TVs or katoeys).

behuman Feb 25, 2007 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 7290323)
Well what disturbs me is that most westerners visiting BKK head to the meat markets there in Soi 4 and assumes the worst about the local gay population being money-grubbing, souless creatures.

The professional English speaking Thai people who are not interested in your money avoid these establishments to not be placed in the same categories. It is a puzzle figuring out how to reach out to meet this segment.

Even Bed Supperclub seems to be losing that chic factor judging from the pink night last Sunday. Only bored tourists and brazen dancing women (not TVs or katoeys).

I think there is no difference between your so called "meat market" :p and the "profesional English speaking" :td: Thais. Both are teached from their early age the stereotypical vision that westerner = rich. This is of course not true and many westerners in Thailand are living on a very small budget (and there are many very very rich people in Thailand).

The difference between the two groups is that the first (from the "meat market") are at least honest in their aspirations, the second are less straightforward and may ultimately harm you more. Everybody doing business in Thailand will understand :mad: .

I think if you are looking for that "chic factor" I very much appreciate too, you may rather visit HKG or SIN, but certainly not Thailand ;) .

BTW: Is not almost every relationship also a hidden form of prostitution ? So good luck with your "professional English speaking" guys :D :D .