FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   GLBT Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers-218/)
-   -   Gay BKK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-travelers/492222-gay-bkk.html)

MarcoAmst Nov 11, 2005 12:19 am

Gay BKK

I am in Bangkok every other month and I know the city pretty well. I generally stay and the Conrad or Peninsula, which generally have a number of gay men around at any given time. But I always get the feeling that I am missing out on something. Does anyone know of other nice Bangkok hotels with a large gay crowd? In Singapore, Raffles The Plaza has that great pool scene where you can always meet lots of interesting guys. Wondering if there is something like that in Bangkok...or maybe the Peninsula is it.

RTWFF Nov 12, 2005 9:52 am

Locals

If you're in Bangkok every other month, as you say, you will understand that even though Bangkok is three times the size of Singapore its middle class is tiny by comparison, so the number of guys who could afford to be at the hotels you mention in any capacity other than servants is equally miniscule

You could always try the hotels patronised by air crew from certain airlines (Qantas springs to mind) if it's Westerners you're after. Utopia (http://www.utopia-asia.com) mentions Regency Park as gay-friendly and upmarket; perhaps you could change your hotel preferences. Other mid-range hotels in the heart of things are Swiss Lodge or Tarntawan. The Sukhothai Hotel has long been the haunt of upper class Thai gay men (not to mention Rich Old Queens and their kept boys)

kyushuman Nov 12, 2005 10:00 am

These hotels are not in the same category as your "usual" hotels, but the Tarntawan Place, the Pinnacle are about 75% gay or more. Also, the Saladang Place, Saladang Colonnade, and Chin House (all serviced apartments walking distance to the Silom gay area) all usually have a gay crowd (though none of them market specifically to the gay market, as the Tarntawan and Pinncacle do). Neither of those have a good pool scene, though the serviced apartments (for sure the Saladang ones) do have decent pools where I have made some friends over the years. :)
Have fun!

BigBadJohn Nov 14, 2005 3:50 pm

if you are specifically looking for flight crew below is a list of where i belive some airlines stay

British Airways - Amari Watergate
Air France - Sofitel Silom
SAS - Rembrandt
Qantas - Imperial Queens Park
Kenyan Airlines - Sofitel Silom

AAny other people know about?

RTWFF Nov 14, 2005 5:04 pm

Qantas

The hotel name for Qantas staff seems curiously appropriate

Guy Betsy Nov 15, 2005 11:47 am

The Pathumwan Princess which is located next to MBK Shopping Complex has a large gay following. Mainly because the large gym reputedly is quite cruisy.

MBK Shopping complex is known to be rather er.. busy at times too.

GPS123 Nov 15, 2005 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF
... The Sukhothai Hotel has long been the haunt of upper class Thai gay men (not to mention Rich Old Queens and their kept boys)

I thought I read it somewhere that Sukhothai had very strict policy regarding visitors.

MarcoAmst Nov 18, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. BigBadJohn, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was probably not very clear in my original post, but I did not mean to imply that I was looking for local gay Thais. I know where they hang out and realize that, for the most part, they cannot afford these hotels. Since I am in business in Bangkok so often, I am really just looking for some gay conversation. My boyfriend gets a little annoyed if I am out cruising haha. Thanks again.

holtju2 Nov 18, 2005 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoAmst
I am really just looking for some gay conversation. My boyfriend gets a little annoyed if I am out cruising haha.

You rather have your gay conversation in your hotel? :confused: My gay conversations typically start in the bar but end up in my hotel. ;)

phichate Nov 19, 2005 12:12 am

Marco,

KLM crews stay at Dusit Thani hotel, not very far from Penninsula, isn't it.

Conversations usually start at a bar like telephone or balcony bar. After that, it is up to you, of course.

Veel plezier!

Ik ga ook naar Thailand volgende maand.

RTWFF Nov 19, 2005 10:41 am

Companionship

You travel with your boyfriend? You have a Thai boyfriend who is happy for you to talk to Westerners but not other Thais? Or your boyfriend is back home and only knows what you get up to because you choose to tell him OR he calls your hotel room every 30 minutes to make sure you are there?

phichate Nov 19, 2005 11:09 pm

Question for RTWFF

Are those questions for me or for Marco? It seems like your questions are based on typical Thai or Asian boyfriends' characteristics.

I will be in BKK on December 10 to give lectures at a university. Then off to HKG for Christmas celebration or perhaps skiing in Korea. However, I am not sure about the latter yet.

MegatopLover Nov 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Careful what one says about typical Thai or Asian boyfriends. Mr. Megatop might take offense! :eek: ;)

We'll be in Bangkok Dec. 18-21 and Dec. 30-Jan. 2. We'll also be in Tokyo and, after that, Hong Kong for Dec. 27-30. Full details in the Current Itineraries thread. Funny in this context, but we'll be staying with The Gays at The Peninsula Bangkok.

Pichate: PM me if you'll be in the same place at the same time. I know a bunch of FTers and others who'll be in BKK and HKG at that time, and we're going to try to get together for at least a beverage.

Scott218 Apr 3, 2006 12:01 pm

Any other hotels you guys would recommend (based on closest to gay scene, subway/Skytrain, food/shopping and gym).

I was thinking of the following:
Westin / Sheraton Subhumvit
Royal Sheraton Bangkok
Evergreen Laurel Hotel Bangkok
Shangri-la Hotel Bangkok
Le Royal Meridien Bangkok
Banyan Tree Bangkok
Intercontinental Hotels Bangkok
Conrad Bangkok

I will be there in December, perhaps we can organize a DO.

MegatopLover Apr 4, 2006 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Scott218
Any other hotels you guys would recommend (based on closest to gay scene, subway/Skytrain, food/shopping and gym).

I was thinking of the following:
Westin / Sheraton Subhumvit
Royal Sheraton Bangkok
Evergreen Laurel Hotel Bangkok
Shangri-la Hotel Bangkok
Le Royal Meridien Bangkok
Banyan Tree Bangkok
Intercontinental Hotels Bangkok
Conrad Bangkok

I will be there in December, perhaps we can organize a DO.

Of those, the Intercontinental is probably closest. It's nearby the Grand Hyatt Erawan and the Four Seasons. The Westin/Sheraton Sukhumvit are a ways down Sukhumvit: great access to SkyTrain but kinda remote. The Conrad is tucked into the Embassy District around Wireless road, a bit of a walk from the Chit Lom SkyTrain station but still very centrally located, just not on top of the Silom Rd. area. The Banyan Tree is very close to Babylon, but otherwise, situated over on Sathorn Road, a hike from the SkyTrain. The Royal Orchid Sheraton and the Shangri-La are on the Riverside, with the Shangri-La right next to the Saphan Thaksin SkyTrain station but the Sheraton a decent boat ride upriver; being on the river, though, is convenient access to tourist sites like the Grand Palace, Chinatown, Temple of Dawn. Don't know about the Evergreen Laurel or Le Meridien, but I think the latter is quite close to the Silom Road area, the entertainment district with the gay clubs/bars.

There's just one thing: the comments in this thread were for last December. But it's all right. I'll be back in Bangkok this coming December too. I'm sure plenty of GGG FT'ers will be too. Popular destination.