Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:11 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Sheraton Barra

Location wise Sheraton Rio is way better

Correct, but the Sheraton Barra is newer and more modern and the beaches in Barra da Tijuca (in front of the hotel) are cleaner and nicer. Of course, the negative point is that the Sheraton Barra is further away from all the action in Ipanema...

I just made all my reservations for New Year's Eve in Rio with three other friends; I will fly biz with KLM via GRU (FD award ticket). I will arrive in Rio on 29/12 but before will head for the beaches in South Brazil (Florianopolis and surrounding area).

^

Rgs,
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hardiwv
The Golden Tulip and Best Western Hotels, both in Ipanema, in great location, also have excellent deals/packages for New Year's even...(tip: The Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza is famous with the GLS community and in front of the gay beach in Ipanema, and other gay bars...).

http://www.ipanemaplazahotel.com/

http://www.solipanema.com.br/english/index.htm

Rgs,
I second the Ipanema Plaza suggestion - right next to the gay beach and quite comfortable.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
During the last week or so I have received couple of emails from brokers that have flats available in Rio. That could be one way to spend the New Year or carnival in Rio. PM me if you need more details.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
IMO NYE in Rio isn't as good as it was when they still had the fireworks on the beach. Still a must do but doesn't have that WWII Normandy beach intensity of prior years. However, I saw a guy killed about 25 feet away from me on NYE 2000 so I can sort of understand the decision to move them offshore.

I personally wouldn't pay $180 a night for the Sofitel never mind $500. Nice general areas but mediocre rooms. I would go the luxury apartment route if spending that amount. I also wouldn't stay outside the Copa/Ipanema/Leblon area unless I was planning on going home late on Jan. 1. A couple of million people in Copa puts quite a strain on the transport system.

Originally Posted by holtju2
During the last week or so I have received couple of emails from brokers that have flats available in Rio. That could be one way to spend the New Year or carnival in Rio. PM me if you need more details.
Over the years I've got to know many brokers in Rio although most are in Copa and target the heterosexual market. If you are unsure about which one to go with I may be able to give some guidance/reassurance.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by oiRRio
IMO NYE in Rio isn't as good as it was when they still had the fireworks on the beach. Still a must do but doesn't have that WWII Normandy beach intensity of prior years. However, I saw a guy killed about 25 feet away from me on NYE 2000 so I can sort of understand the decision to move them offshore.
As I pointed out earlier on this thread I was somewhat disappointed this year when I was in Rio for the New Year. I absolutely LOVE Rio otherwise.

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Over the years I've got to know many brokers in Rio although most are in Copa and target the heterosexual market. If you are unsure about which one to go with I may be able to give some guidance/reassurance.
One of the bigger rental agencies house the www.riogayguide.com as well so IMHO anything goes.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
My partner has a two-bedroom (4 people max) apartment in Copacabana he rents out year round to visitors. It is near the beach, but does not have a beach view. Please e-mail or pm me if you would like details.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: CO Onepass, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
Hey guys, just back from a 10 day visit to Rio, went with my partner and a good friend of ours...
Just to add to the info on here, we rented a 2 bedroom apartment at the Ipanema Tower Residence, located a block in from the beach in Ipanema. The flat was very nice, maid service daily, nice big balcony, and very large walk-in showers with fantastic water pressure ( my test for Rio lodging). The building is very luxurious, and has a mix of full time residents and short term apartments. The staff was very undertanding of us bringing, ahem, guests home late at night to the apartment, and never gave us any problems.
We booked through Juan at Ipacom Travel, who got us a super deal. I would recommend this place without hesitation to anyone interested in going the apartment route.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by holtju2
One of the bigger rental agencies house the www.riogayguide.com as well so IMHO anything goes.
Anyone with a modicum of knowledge about apartments in Rio knows that there are many buildings in which the condominium’s regulations mean there is anything but an “anything goes” policy, particularly the more upmarket you go.

Oh well, I was just trying to help Rio bound travellers on this forum as there are both unreliable and unscrupulous brokers out there. <shrugs>
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:52 am

Just to add to the info on here, we rented a 2 bedroom apartment at the Ipanema Tower Residence, located a block in from the beach in Ipanema

In my opinon the best is to avoid brokers and contact the owner or flat front desk directly! Renting a private apartment is always risky and you dont know for sure what you will get, so beware...

As mentioned in the email above, The Ipanema Tower Residence is an excelent option and you can contact their service directly, no need to use brokers:

http://www.ipanematower.com.br/

Rgs,
Old Oct 27, 2005, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Just to add to the info on here, we rented a 2 bedroom apartment at the Ipanema Tower Residence, located a block in from the beach in Ipanema

In my opinon the best is to avoid brokers and contact the owner or flat front desk directly! Renting a private apartment is always risky and you dont know for sure what you will get, so beware...

As mentioned in the email above, The Ipanema Tower Residence is an excelent option and you can contact their service directly, no need to use brokers:

http://www.ipanematower.com.br/

Rgs,
This is a great example of my New Year's problems: This Ipanema Tower's rates for New Year are more than US$500 per night, with a 5-night minimum. I have yet to book anywhere for the 2 nights 12/31/-1/1, since all places require advance, non-refundable payments. Yuck!
Does anyone have experience of Rio opening up at the last minute? I'm not the kind of person to wait and see, though.
Anyway, I think we'll end up just staying at the Sofitel for the last 2 nights @ US$550/night. When added to the first 3 nights at $180 per night, the average is still high, but not quite as breathtaking. Plus, we won't have to switch hotels midway thru our stay.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by kyushuman
This is a great example of my New Year's problems: This Ipanema Tower's rates for New Year are more than US$500 per night, with a 5-night minimum. I have yet to book anywhere for the 2 nights 12/31/-1/1, since all places require advance, non-refundable payments. Yuck!
Does anyone have experience of Rio opening up at the last minute? I'm not the kind of person to wait and see, though.
Anyway, I think we'll end up just staying at the Sofitel for the last 2 nights @ US$550/night. When added to the first 3 nights at $180 per night, the average is still high, but not quite as breathtaking. Plus, we won't have to switch hotels midway thru our stay.
I'm in the same boat. Nothing for 12/30-1/1. So if you find anything, post it here. I'll do the same ...
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by sftrvlr
I'm in the same boat. Nothing for 12/30-1/1. So if you find anything, post it here. I'll do the same ...
Well, I have a booking form for the Sofitel, since we're staying there the previous 3 nights as well. I can't believe it, but we're going for a Junior Suite @ US$750 per night. Hoping we get it for the first 3 nights too, but not expecting it. I figured it would be heaps better than the "superior" room @$550 per night. We'll see!
From what I can ascertain, sftvlr, just about every hotel has available rooms (though now, the Sofitel has some room types sold out, which forced me into finally booking something--we prefer to stay there, and it looks like there will be no discounts). It's just the waiting game to see if they lower their rates!
Good luck.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:07 pm

Nothing for 12/30-1/1. So if you find anything, post it here.

Try the Portinari Design Hotel in Copacabana (not far from the Sofitel). It is a very good hotel and one of the few design hotels in Rio:

http://www.portinaridesignhotel.com....ish/index.html

Rgs,
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Location wise Sheraton Rio is way better

Correct, but the Sheraton Barra is newer and more modern and the beaches in Barra da Tijuca (in front of the hotel) are cleaner and nicer. Of course, the negative point is that the Sheraton Barra is further away from all the action in Ipanema...
Agreed. I stayed at the Sheraton Barra and really liked it. Brand new, great rooms, and for being *W Gold they treated me like royalty and upgraded my partner and me to their largest suite in the entire hotel! I got strep throat while I was there and the staff was exceptionally nice and helped me get medical care. Granted, it's not very close to Ipanema/Copacabana/downtown, but it's only a 15 minute taxi ride. The only real downside is that the taxi rides run about U$S 15 each way, so it can add up quickly if you're doing lots of trips to and from the main part of the city.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
New Year’s in Rio

Just a word about New Year’s in Rio for those who may not know: Copacabana beach is where the traditional celebration is held, with offshore fireworks and local Afro-Brazilian religious celebrations on the beach. From the day before, Copacabana is shut off to all private vehicles and taxis simply disappear from Copacabana’s streets until around 4am the next day. The net result is that if you want to see the traditional New Year’s celebrations you have to be staying in Copacabana or within walking distance. Either Sheraton is simply too far from the celebrations to be of any interest. You should concentrate on Méridien, Marriott, or Sofitel if you want a multinational hotel. There is also the more expensive Copacabana Palace, where a high society party is held with free-flowing Veuve for a few thousand dollars, not to mention numerous local hotels along the beach front, called Avenida Atlântica. If you cannot afford a beach front room at one of these hotels, there are hundreds of hotels lining the side streets that would be much cheaper. The main point is that there is really no alternative to staying in Copacabana, or very nearby, if you are interested in the traditional beach celebrations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.