Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: CO Onepass, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sftrvlr
Anyone know it? They are showing a rate of US$100/night for 12/30 and 12/31. Looks nice enough, but photos can be deceiving.

I'd go with the suggestion in post #12 about the Mar Ipanema hotel. On the 5 night package that's not much more than $120 a night, which is a steal at that property for the time of year. I've not stayed there, but walked by it many times. It has a great location in the neighborhood, right on diamond row, and 2 blocks from the beach.

My other suggestion would be as another poster said, and contact a local Rio travel agent. I use Juan Costa at Ipacom travel. I'm going there again in late September, and his agency always seems to come up with super rates. They are gay-friendly too.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:26 pm

Anyone know it? They are showing a rate of US$100/night for 12/30 and 12/31. Looks nice enough, but photos can be deceiving.

Gloria Hotel is no-where by ANY beach. It is downtown. You will not be able to walk and explore the sights and the men If there was ever a time to pay a little bit more it would be New Years in Rio. Having been there 5 times now... twice for New Years... I would not be travelling from Toronto a 10 hours flight unless the men oh.. the party was AMAZING.

Trust me everything else is very cheap from food to taxi to clubs and drinks...
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
(...) Anyone know if anything happens in Sao Paulo for New Year? Will I hate myself for doing it? Should I go somewhere else (other than the completely sold out Rio?)
1 - Do NOT leave Rio on 31 December - that's when you want to be there
2 - Do NOT come to SP. There are parties on Paulista but nothing to compare to the parties in Rio
3 - SP Gays do travel to Rio this time of year - Don't expect parties in SP
4 - Stay in Rio
5 - Don't simply e-mail hotels, rather skype them and sort it out over the phone - that's how you get the best deals.
6 - Do not come to SP, you'll regret it !
7 - Visit SP during the Gay Parade - Gays from all over the world, lots of cheerful people, families and kids - not just a ghetto thing - worth it
8 - Stay in Rio, and book plane tickets out of Rio - as difficult as hotels after Jan 1st
9 - Do not lose your flight out of SP - known for overbooked flights that time of year and high valued vouchers
10 - Stay in Rio, do not come to SP
11 - Any property in Copacabana or Leme is ok - top10 if in Atlantica Avenue that spans from Leme all the way to Copacabana.

Hotel Gloria is a magnificent property. If that's the only thing you can get, go for it. It's downtown though with a view to the Guanabara Bay. You need a taxi or your way in/out of Copacabana - not practical on New Year's - definitely not my suggestion, but better than coming to SP !!! It'd be better a lower property in Copacabana or Leme.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Gloria Hotel, etc

The Gloria Hotel, as mentioned above, is a great hotel. It is designed in a French neoclassical architecture, and is one of the most well established hotels in Rio with a good and reliable clientele. The hotel is recommendable and you will not get disapointed. It has a wonderful view, good facilities and outside you have nice green areas to walk. However, you would need a taxi from the hotel to Copacabana, but you can be sure that this is a much better option than going to Sao Paulo...

Do your best to stay in Rio and avoid SP for New Year's eve...you will not regret. Rio is just FANTASTIC during New Year's Eve!

As I suggested above, the Mar Ipanema Hotel is a simple 3 or 2* property, very basic rooms, but has great location in-between Ipanema and Leblon, just 2 blocks from the beach, very nice shopping area outisde, and a nice restaurant with regional food.

In summary, DONT MISS RIO DURING NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!

Rgs,
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Rio it is then ...

When I booked this trip, I really didn't think about New Year's Eve being such a big deal in Rio, but apparently I should have! Seems I should cancel my Sao Paulo stop, and stick with Rio. Thanks to all for the suggestions and steering me in the right direction. My Brazlian prince awaits ... .
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
When I booked this trip, I really didn't think about New Year's Eve being such a big deal in Rio, but apparently I should have! Seems I should cancel my Sao Paulo stop, and stick with Rio. Thanks to all for the suggestions and steering me in the right direction. My Brazlian prince awaits ... .

Did you get yourself a good hotel deal in Copa then? Just curious I really don't think you'll regret adjusting your plans to spending New Year's Eve in Rio.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Stay in any hotel in Avenida Atlantica, it worth every cent.
Go to Sao Paulo if you have some friends there, otherwise you will end up in some infamous house in SP...not bad...
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:44 am

other options...

The Golden Tulip and Best Western Hotels, both in Ipanema, in great location, also have excellent deals/packages for New Year's even...(tip: The Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza is famous with the GLS community and in front of the gay beach in Ipanema, and other gay bars...).

http://www.ipanemaplazahotel.com/

http://www.solipanema.com.br/english/index.htm

Rgs,
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
try Gaytravelbrazil.com
they have some good connections with some of the Rio hotels.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Thumbs up

Please delete

Last edited by GeorgeK; Aug 28, 2005 at 9:20 pm
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:23 am

Hotel Gloria

I love the Hotel Gloria and have stayed there many times. It's between Copacabana and downtown. Some of the rooms can be small so I would pay $20 or so more for a deluxe room. I like to "play" downtown and the Gloria is walking distance. Also a small "locals" sauna called "Catete" is only a couple of blocks away. It's patronized mostly by wealthy Latin Americans and Europeans. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. It reminds me of a Latin version of the Fairmont or St. Francis in San Francisco.

They have a decent buffet breakfast included in the price also.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:29 am

Sao Paulo

Everyone always told me not to go to Sao Paulo but we had a GREAT time with the night life....ie cinemas and saunas...and very friendly local boys. We used it as a break from the beach....if you're single and "looking" you will find more in SP than Rio...
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:09 pm

So I just booked Sheraton Rio Dec 30-Jan 3. My third New Years in Rio! Then off to Buenos Aires.

Used my Starwood points for the four nights and confirmed upgraded to a suite with extra points... defintley worth it!

Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:41 am

Sheraton Barra?

So I just booked Sheraton Rio

Can I ask you which one? The new and flashy Sheraton Barra or the old Sheration near Ipanema? Can anyone compare both in terms of facilities and service?

Tks,
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by hardiwv
So I just booked Sheraton Rio

Can I ask you which one? The new and flashy Sheraton Barra or the old Sheration near Ipanema? Can anyone compare both in terms of facilities and service?

Tks,
The Sheraton closer to Ipanema. I can only comment on The Sheraton Rio not Sheraton Barra.

Location wise Sheraton Rio is way better as you are closer to the gay night life, beach, shops... The last time I stayed there was New Years 2000 and it was okay. Last year I stayed at Marriott Copacabana.

My biggest complaint was the rooms were very out-dated with poor quality furnishings and the bed was old.

I understand that all rooms now have the new Sheraton sleeper beds and that the hotel did do some refurbishing. The pool is great and so is the gym. Also it is the only hotel that has it's own beach front.

Take advantage of the shuttle bus to Ipanema. I would avoid the hotel cabs that line the entrance to the hotel... they pay a fee to service the hotel so they have been known to rip people off to recoup $$$...

I would only use them at night because I would not advise walking to or from hotel as you have to go around a bend which is very dark and not too safe...

Hope that helps...

Trust me you will not regret your New Years in Rio...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.