Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Fiji Imprisons Tourist For Having Gay Sex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji Imprisons Tourist For Having Gay Sex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DMorris
So, let's get this straight, if you are gay and fell the need to visit Fiji you will need to deny yourself homosexual activities while in their country. Appears that Fiji is promoting a gay-free society. On the other hand, heterosexuals are free to engage in sexual activities. I just added Fiji to the list of countries I must visit. ^
It's too bad there's no more apartheid in South Africa. I would have loved to visit a country that promotes severe segregation and discrimination against blacks ^

Last edited by Doppy; Apr 17, 2005 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
No, Doppy, this is totally different. For its married, moral and upstanding visitors, Fiji is defending the sanctity of their marriages (it's also defending the future marriages of the singles). God knows that seeing (or even hearing about) nearby gay activity would put my marriage in deep jeopardy.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
What About States?

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
The fact is, if you choose to visit a country which is not your own and engage in unlawful activities, you risk the consequences. Whether those consequences are harsh, or morally wrong, is a different question altogether. And, it is a question of opinion and perspective, not of law.
Until very recently, it gay sex was a felony in many states. Would your comments apply equally to someone from a state where gay sex is legal visiting a state where it is a felony?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by SYDguy
With the Howard Government, don't count on it.

Alleged drug smugglers in Bali - maybe; consenting adult gay men doing what comes naturally - no way.

The current Australian Government have already made their agenda clear last year introducing specific legislation outlawing same sex unions throughout the Commonwealth.
I had no idea Australia had slid so far backwards. I lived there for a few months in the '80's. I met an expat Yank in a club who had gotten legal residence in Australia because his boyfriend at the time was an Australian.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by umguy
If you are going to Fiji to go and enjoy your vacation that's one thing. But if you are going to make a political statement by not going that your fault. Go ahead waste your money. I mean would you honestly not go because they discriminated against 1 gay guy? Better yet would the fact everyone there doesn't accept you stop any of you from going anywhere? If so that's sad.
Does this apply to US states that ammended their constitutions to ban same-sex unions?

I know a couple who are moving from Atlanta to Chicago because they can't stand living in (and contributing to the economy of) a state that rejects them and officially classifies them as less-than.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
I know a couple who are moving from Atlanta to Chicago because they can't stand living in (and contributing to the economy of) a state that rejects them and officially classifies them as less-than.
Good for them ^

With a few exceptions, I do my best to avoid these places in the US. I'm slightly more forgiving of backward countries that are still (almost literally) living in the dark ages, but a lot less forgiving of Western countries where the public should know better than to discriminate and persecute.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DMorris
So, let's get this straight, if you are gay and fell the need to visit Fiji you will need to deny yourself homosexual activities while in their country. Appears that Fiji is promoting a gay-free society. On the other hand, heterosexuals are free to engage in sexual activities. I just added Fiji to the list of countries I must visit. ^
I don't get this. You support totalitarianism - is that what you're saying? You were probably just joking around, but it didn't come through - at least, how I read it.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jongar
and I wont travel to the united stated till they repeal the death penalty, allow freedom of travel unecumbered.

That country has a different set of values - they are not wrong, just not the same as yours

I'm glad you can do that. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here for now. I'm a little more selfish, though. More upset about the blatant theocratic homophobia here...............

But the values (or lack thereof) are wrong here...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by umguy
I mean would you honestly not go because they discriminated against 1 gay guy? ........ If so that's sad.

I mean.......YES!!!!! (And it was 2!)

They were imprisoned.

THAT'S SAD!!!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by John Galt
However, I can't see how any reasonable person would try to say that a ban on gay sex is the moral equivalent of the rape and murder of thousands, and the expulsion of hundreds of thousands in the Sudan. Trying to make the two equal is an insult to the millions of victims of the Holocaust, ...............

If I learned it was illegal for me to have sex with the one I love at a potential vacation spot, I'd reconsider my visit. But surely you agree that there is a difference between that and having soldiers kick down your door, gang rape your partner, murder your children, burn your house, and chase you out of your country.
But if you lived there, they would burn your house.

In Germany they did murder you for being gay.

So the above is an insult to all those Holocaust victims.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Just curious but has there ever been a successful tourism boycott of a country?
What do you mean by 'success'? It could mean that the country changed its policies, or it could mean that the individuals participating in the boycott were not supporting and contributing to oppresive policies.

As an example of the difference, suppose you change your own oil in your car. You could be lazy and dump the used oil in the storm drain, where it adds to ocean polution, or you could drive it to a collection point. If you did the latter, you could be asked if you were 'successful'. Success could mean reducing ocean pollution by a significant amount, or it could mean you personally not contributing to ocean polution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.