Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jamaica Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: Continental
Angry As a Gay Jamaican....

I would not recommend my place of birth to anyone who is Gay or Lesbian. If were forced from the US from any reason, I would plead asylum to any country that would take me. The level of violence and acceptance of such behavior is apalling. If you are gay or even non-agressive heterosexual male, avoid jamaica at all costs.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here is a hopeful article on the possibility of change in Jamaica and other Caribbean places with widespread homophobia:

KINGSTON, Jamaica — A call by Deputy Education Minister Donald Rhodd to discuss the possible repeal of Victorian-era laws criminalizing homosexuality has provoked predictable outrage among conservative Jamaicans. But gays here see the chance for debate as a glimmer of hope that they may one day be able to move out from the shadows.

Criticized by Human Rights Watch a year ago for fostering a climate of violent homophobia, Jamaica lately has joined other Caribbean countries in taking steps toward acknowledging that discrimination and denial have proved counterproductive in efforts to curb the spread of HIV/AIDS.

Still, many in the devoutly religious Caribbean region reject the notion that gays and lesbians should be granted equal protection under the law, including the right to associate openly and receive public services, as well as to marry. At least eight current or former British colonies in the Caribbean retain anti-sodomy laws, including Barbados, St. Lucia and Trinidad and Tobago, as well as Jamaica.

But economic realities and the outside world's scorn of anti-gay violence have begun making inroads in the climate of intolerance.

European impresarios have canceled concerts by Jamaican reggae artists who incite hatred of homosexuals in their lyrics. A Dutch court recently ordered authorities in Aruba to recognize a lesbian couple's marriage. And in St. Lucia, a top tourism official has been trying to sell fellow islanders on the idea that money is to be made as a destination for gay travelers...
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1651419.story

On a side note, I also found this interesting (but sad, obviously):

The most homophobic of the islands, based on Human Rights Watch's assessment of violence against gays, Jamaica suffers one of the highest incidences of HIV and AIDS, with 1.2% of the population infected. Many believe that the consequences of publicly acknowledging that one is gay have hampered government efforts to halt the spread of the human immunodeficiency virus, which causes AIDS...

The stigma attached to homosexuality prompts some gays to avoid testing, treatment and support, said Sheryl O'Neil of the Caribbean Epidemiology Center in Anguilla. That compounds the risk of the disease spreading because governments are unable to adequately assess the problem and allocate money for prevention and treatment, she noted at a workshop for government healthcare officials...
Pretty clear data point supporting the notion of a correlation between homophobia and HIV infection rates.

Where there is more homophobia, there is more HIV because nobody wants to tell anybody else that they are gay, not even their own doctors. There is more promiscuity because long-term loving male-male relationships are discouraged, and relationships only last as long as ejection.

Where gays are accepted, they can be reached, tested and treated because there is little to no shame admitting that you are gay. Steady, long-term dating relationships are encouraged.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
More bad news for Jamaica:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/po/20051203/...slaininjamaica

On the eve of World AIDS Day, one of Jamaica's best-known AIDS activists was murdered in an apparent anti-gay attack.

Steve Harvey, an openly gay 30-year-old, and his two roommates were home when Jamaican police say at least four armed gunmen broke into their house.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:38 pm

It is sad that a place that beautiful can be so intolerant. Since there seems to be many experienced Jamaican travelers here, I was wondering if I could get some quick advice on car rentals. I'd like to see Dunns River Falls and anything interesting in the northern resort areas but do not know if the tour/taxi route would beat the car rental/self-serve route, especially on a limited budget.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:09 am

sadly, Jamaica is the most homophobic country in the caribbean. The orthodox rastafarian faith condemns homosexuality and gay bashing is widespread. I rather recommend Cuba, it is hassle free and american visitors will be surprised to see a much higher quality of life than in capitalist jamaica where beggars and drug pushers are in every corner of Kingston. You need to see the gay cuban movie (made in cuba)'Strawberries and Chocolate"(fresa y chocolate) before traveling to Cuba, it is as essential as the bookstore map.
Puerto Rico is also a hot spot (expensive though) with plenty of clubs and bars and San Juan by far the gayest place under the caribbean sun.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anti-Gay Violence Claims Another Life In Jamaica

(Kingston, Jamaica) A young Jamaican man plunged to his death off a pier in Kingston after reportedly being chased through the streets by a mob yelling homophobic epithets.

In a desperate attempt to flee his tormentors Nokia Cowan leaped from the pier into Kingston harbor. Unable to swim he died in the rancid water.

Whether Cowan actually was gay or not is known, but he became the third man to recently die as a result of homophobia in Jamaica.

JFLAG, the country's gay rights organization Wednesday called for a police investigation into the events that led to his drowning.

"Most importantly, we implore the highest members of government to clearly indicate that violence based on sexual orientation, both perceived and actual, is unacceptable in Jamaica," JFLAG said in a statement.

Last month, Lenford "Steve" Harvey who ran Jamaica AIDS Support for Life was shot to death on the eve of World AIDS Day. Support for Life provides support to gay men and sex workers.

Police are looking for three men who broke into Harvey's home confronting him and his two roommates.

The armed men demanded money. "We hear that you are gay," the gunmen yelled at the trio. The two housemates denied it but Harvey apparently remained silent. The housemates were gagged and bound.

Harvey was ordered at gunpoint to help the gunmen carry valuables to his car. He was forced into the vehicle and kidnapped by his attackers.

Two hours later, he was found, shot dead...
http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/01/010406jamaica.htm
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Jamaica can be enjoyable if one goes off the beaten path.

Pt Maria, Boston Bay and Mandeville are a few of the towns that I fondly remember. My ex-partner and I also had our motorcycle breakdown somewhere inland. The locals all came to our aid, kindly offered us food and water and quickly had us on our way!

But I agree, if you're looking for a gay-friendly destination where you can be openly affectionate, Jamaica isn't the place to go.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:44 am

My best friend is Jamacian They are CRAZY. If you go I would stay on the resort and leave it at that. Lovely island but crazy people. And Kingston really forget that place. My Jamacian friend won't even go there.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM
I was thinking of taking the family to MoBay to take advantage of UA's low fares and to use my bump vouchers. After reading the above reports, I think I will stick with St. Lucia that we went to last year and thoroughly enjoyed.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:41 am

Hmm ok after i posted this it got me thinking. Is the homophobic attitude of the Carribean Islands any worse than rual Alabama, Missisippi, or Ohio? I don't think so. I just think a few isolated incidents get more attention because these island nations are so small. Let's even take a good look at Latin America. The whole Machismo thing. So many of latin friends would never say they are gay to any members of their family because of that stuff. I say if you want to go to Jamacia then go. My views about them being crazy. Well that's just them as a people be it gay, str8 or otherwise. I would just say be vigilant as you would anywhere else. I would gladly run off to Jamacia any day, but as I said earlier I would just stay on the resort.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:51 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Jamaica received an "F" in this Planetout article...

Gay Caribbean report card

http://www.planetout.com/travel/arti...ml?sernum=9600
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Call me an old stick in the mud but why or why would you want to travel to a country that a vast majority of it's citizens would prefer to see you dead. I cannot fathom for any reason whatsoever why any person let alone someone who is gay or lesbian to visit such a sh*te hole. There are always exception to the rule but by and large I can whole-heartedly say that Jamaicans do not deserve you patronism or your money.

Are you aware that apart from major homophobic attitudes running rife throughout the male population in JA the government also sentences practising homosexuals to 8 years hard labour (might be 10 but of the top my head) if caught, that is if your not shot, burnt or beaten senseless till your last breath from the 'Batty-hating' wank*rs who inhabit such a violent place.

Why would you want to go to a country that would prefer you were not alive? I just don't understand anyone considering going. Nuff said!

If any of you FT'rs ever saw the PUMA sportswear documentary in the UK you will no doubt understand why things are so very wrong there. Boycott the place and please have some dignity in your actions. We have fought long and hard to get where we are now and we are still a long way off from being accepted as the norm. Ironic that the vrious Black rights movements have fought for exactly the same reasons 'discrimination' but still don't equate the double standards. If you wanna go to an amazing Carribean Island then Grenada which lies 60 miles off the cost of Venezuala is stunning. There's bull.... in all the Carribean Islands but not with such a prominent overtone that JA has. The only thing I have ever loiked about Jamaica is Jerk bloody chicken.

Sorry, just got my goat - I'm calm(er) now.

Last edited by pachamama; Jan 10, 2006 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by pachamama
Call me an old stick in the mud but why or why would you want to travel to a country that a vast majority of it's citizens would prefer to see you dead.

HA HA. Hmmm fly over and let's go to see the good old boys in rual Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi and watch them think the same thing about me because of the color of my skin. I think it's sad that everyone wants to condemn a whole island for the actions of a few. Yeah I still think they are crazy. But I don't think every Jamacian is a homophobe and want everygay person dead.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by umguy
HA HA. Hmmm fly over and let's go to see the good old boys in rual Alabama, Georgia or Mississippi and watch them think the same thing about me because of the color of my skin.
Well my point exactly, comparing Jamaica with the areas in the US you mention is a very valid point and while I would imagine, after not frequenting these places for a good while now, that things have somewhat improved in the States for black, mixed race and people of whatever colour, creed or race I would question whether the same 'tolerance' or acceptance has spread to include homosexuals as much in the same time period. You only have to see how many countries still class the positive promotion of homosexuality let alone same sex acts as illegal to see there is still a long way to go. I am not aware (and please correct me if I am wrong) where it is illegal for people of a different skin tone or race to be so blatantly and visible discriminated against (bar long term feuds between two countries) and classed as illegal citizens and in turn imprisoned.

I think it's sad that everyone wants to condemn a whole island for the actions of a few. Yeah I still think they are crazy. But I don't think every Jamacian is a homophobe and want everygay person dead.
I think you grossly underestimate the situation when you state 'the actions of a few'. Homophobia is rife in Jamaica, I know. It is something so impregated in mainly male society as immoral that while I wouldn't go so far to say (as I did before) that everyone wants to lynch you there, I would very safely say that whether or not they want you dead they would rather you didn't exist period.

Furthermore, when you have a government in power like Jamaica's one, that does recognise homosexulaity as illegal and imprisons you for it if caught or in certain circumstances just 'suspected' then you are hardly gonna equate that with a liberally minded populous.

Avoid at all costs mi thinks or visit at your own risk and foolishness.
Only my opinion and I'm not writing this (very late at night) for the fun of it, but if you do a little research on the subject you will see that I am able to back up my opinions substantially.

Personally I don't care where Tom, Dick or Harry comes from (no innuendo meant). I take people as individuals but in the case of Jamaica, I would be very reluctant to set foot in the place and I would bet my stamp collection that they woudl not want me there either. So I hope you can appreciate any generalisations I have towards the country and it's people.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:03 pm

Actually I'm friends with quite a few Jamacians. I would even go as far to say that my bestfriend's family has accepted me as part of their extended family with my family being in Ohio and not having any family down here. I'm invited to all of their families functions and accepted with nothing but love. Yes their crazy but just normal everyday people. And all of them were born there and grew up there. So you can't say they have been Americanized all of that. So I really don't think you can say all or generalize the situation. It's sad that someone who is consider a minority would make statements like this about whole groups of peoeple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.