Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

All Worlds vs Mirage Resort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Am going single to Warm Sands, Palm Springs in April.

Would very much appreciate a comparison between All Worlds and Mirage.

Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:20 am
Suspended

You may find my recent trip report for the All World's Resort helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=24296

Both resorts are great and I would not hesitate to stay at either; I have only walked round the Vista Grande Resorts Complex (Mirage is part of this). Generally, if the quality of rooms and a wide availability of video entertainment is important to you, then I would recommend All Worlds, if rooms are less important but you want a lot of great lanscaping, then stick with Mirage.

Both websites are pretty low on specifics, alas.

www.allworldsresort.com

www.mirage4men.com

I recommend you call All World's as they are appalling at email, and might offer to match the price of another nearby resort if its a slow weekend. You can get day passes to both resorts I think.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much, apudme!!

Very much appreciated your comments!

By the way, if you are ever thinking about staying in Key West, go to Island House!

It's easily the best all-male resort.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:22 am
Suspended

Great Suggestion!!

Island House is a great suggestion, and it is one of my favourites which has been eulogised many times on FT:

I, like you, was curious about "staying gay". As a 29 year old single guy I was cautious that a premium would be charged for these places, and that the hotels would be shabby and uninspiring.

Apart from a horrific experience at Auxberges du Centre Ville in Montreal, whcih you can read about BY CLICKING HERE I have had some fun times and great hotel experiences in the USA at places like All Worlds Resort (Palm Springs, California), Island House Key West (Key West, Florida), Pineapple Point (Fort Lauderdale, Florida), San Vicente Inn (West Hollywood, California), Blue Moon Resort (Las Vegas), Cabanas at Waikiki (Honolulu, HI)and Liberty Resort (Kuranda, nr Cairns, Queensland[edited to add: no longer gay]).

What I like about these properties is the friendly staff, the freedom to hold hands and be with your partner/recent acquaintance in a relaxed environment, the interesting "scenery", but also importantly (with the exception of the San Vicente, which has a great location and common areas, but could do with renovating the rooms, and to a lesser extent Blue Moon which has terrible location) a great five star hotel experience.

I was also cautious about the clothing optional, but after the first few moments of embarrassment, I really enjoy not having to wear soggy trunks the whole time, and found it a liberating experience!

Sure, some are more cruisy than others, but generally I think it's fair to say that as in life you can take as little or as much of that as you like.

I should note that most of the aforementioned are resort properties, gay hotels in cities generally cannot afford to invest as much and therefore as I have learned through experience generally not as good, though I would be pleased to be corrected on this. B&Bs can be better but can be "chintzy".

Judging by what you are saying, it sounds to me like you would enjoy www.Pineapplepoint.com which is much less cruisy and super luxurious for a couple.

Do check out Pineaple Point when next in Florida; its better with a partner I think.

You might also want to add your praise to the Island House tripadvisor.com pages:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...s_Florida.html
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
I've never stayed at Allworlds, but have stayed at Mirage, though not for the last two or three years.

Mirage/Vista Grande/Atrium is every bit as cruisy and frisky as the Island House - maybe even more so. Like the Island House in EYW locals stop by, but only during the day officially. The thing to keep in mind is that they haven't been great about keeping up the rooms. It's worth getting one of the more expensive rooms as some of the cheap rooms that I saw were not in good shape.

I visit PSP about 4-6 times a year (now in a regular house rather than a guest house), and one other point I might keep in mind is that during the week, the parking lot at Allwords can be very empty. It seems to only have cars during the week. I don't know how long you're staying, but if you're going to be there a whole week, then it looks kind of lonely from passing by.

Another option I always recommend is Inn Exile. It's not as completely slutty as Mirage (hmm, maybe Mirage is even sluttier than the Island House now that I think about it), but still very frisky. They have a gym and really keep the property up. Their parking lot is full even in the cold months during the week.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Tarmacsitting!

Thanks very much for your insights on All Worlds vs Mirage.

I decided to go with Mirage as I thought it would be nice to be surrounded by a lot of green. Plus one always enjoys getting in touch with nature on every level!

I am staying at a studio with a kitchenette for $109 per night. Perhaps I should upgrade?

I remember when I stayed at Innexile, All Worlds seemed rather lonely, as you put it, from the outside. Innexile was a lot of fun. A little too much concrete and stone perhaps but fabulous at night under the stars. And at 4PM things really perk up in the steam room!

Looking forward to Palm Springs!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:22 pm

How was Mirage?

I'm bouncing between these two options for a summer trip to Palm Springs. How was Mirage? Any advice? Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:09 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Several things:

I am at the Mirage next week (Tu-Fr). I LOVE PSP in the summer!

The rooms can be a bit dowdy but I like the non-attitude of the crowd.

It is always a mixed bag of ages and body types. I always have a blast and have taken bf's there as well.

I aske for a summer discount and I got a $79/rate for one of the smaller rooms.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:31 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Originally Posted by aeneastwin
Am going single to Warm Sands, Palm Springs in April.

Thanks.
Aprill! Whaaaat?!!

Don't forget the Palm Springs FlyerTalk Gayla III, 20069!!

It is the last weekend of March, so save the date. It is always superbly hosted by those of us here, on the FT GLBT Forum.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
Aprill! Whaaaat?!!

Don't forget the Palm Springs FlyerTalk Gayla III, 20069!!

It is the last weekend of March, so save the date. It is always superbly hosted by those of us here, on the FT GLBT Forum.
Oooh GKG, I'm already getting tingly! What surprises do you have in store for us next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.