Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the DO in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
the DO in Atlanta?

Going to Atlanta with a friend of mine...

Whats the word on what to do?

We are staying at the W Atlanta at Perimeter Center 3.25 to 3.27 (got such a great room rate I couldn't help it)

any Advice?
Thanks

-Vincent
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:41 pm

Well, you are staying right across the street from one of the world's greatest malls. Shopping there is excellent! Also, the Dunwoody train station is fairly close to the hotel, I am sure there are shuttle services provided by the hotel. From the Dunwoody station you can ride downtown to the World of Coke and visit Underground Atlanta. (I will admit Underground leaves much to be desired). Once you are downtown, you can visit CNN Center, MLK Center, & Centennial Park. Try having lunch at Glady Knight's Chicken & Waffles (sorta like Roscoe's Famous Chicken & Waffles in LA). The clubs in Underground are actually pretty nice and for just a $5. cover charge you can access all of them. I had a pretty decent time when I went - besides what more can you ask for w/ a $5. cover charge. Also, let's not forget Buckhead, Lenox Square & Phipps Plaza. - Pretty Good Shopping Malls. Try Goldfish for dinner there at Perimeter it's a pretty good restaurant w/o all of the fuss.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:43 pm

Also, let's not mention the G & L nightlife is awesome. Bulldogs & Coulours are some great spots. Naked Boys Singing is on stage at the Armory and it is hilarious - it is a must see. Have fun dude!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plt; and B6
Originally Posted by DONINTATL
Also, let's not mention the G & L nightlife is awesome. Bulldogs & Coulours are some great spots. Naked Boys Singing is on stage at the Armory and it is hilarious - it is a must see. Have fun dude!
Don't foget Red Chair and Blakes.....assuming you prefer an attractive crowd
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:12 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
What exactly do you want to do in Atlanta - then we can give you better advice.

You're staying basically in the suburbs, but as you can imagine most of the gay life is further in town. The areas of Midtown, Virginia Highland, and East Atlanta have most of the nightlife and a lot of great restaurants. I recommend a car.

Let us know more of what you're after and we can give you some good ideas.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
We're looking more for night life and afternoon life (I'm away on a weekend, like hell Im getting up early). I've been told about the mall, so I'm already looking forward to that. Also the World of Coca Cola goes without saying (I'm a Coca Cola purist).

We do plan on renting a car, no issue there. I was going to stay at the W Atlanta, rather than this one, but I got the "Extreme" Room (700 SQfeet) for 155 a night, can't beat that... and I could use the stay to requalify for SPG Gold...

Thanks!
-Vincent
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would look into rebooking your accomodations - W Hotels has a promo for "Spring Break" with the Extreme Room at $139/nt and triple Starpoints.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...PlanName=LTOWH
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
For afternoons the attractions my guests say they enjoy are World of Coke, CNN Center tours, and the Atlanta History Center. The first two are downtown, the history center is in Buckhead.

You will be across the street from Perimeter Mall, but there are two other malls in Buckhead that are also good - Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza. They are across the street from each other in Buckhead. These two have more designer stores - Burberry, Versace, Armani, etc. Some designers are at one and some a the other. Phipps is less crowded as a rule, but Lenox has a wider selection of stores.

For nightlife head down to Midtown. There are a ton of restaurants and you can generally pick up a bar guide there. There are going out places for all kinds like any big city. If you have a kind of crowd you're after we can make some recommendations. Just about everyone you run into will be kind and helpful.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 9:23 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarmacsitting
...For nightlife head down to Midtown. There are a ton of restaurants and you can generally pick up a bar guide there. There are going out places for all kinds like any big city. If you have a kind of crowd you're after we can make some recommendations. Just about everyone you run into will be kind and helpful.

Hope this helps.
Being from NJ/NYC I am used to the 18 to party and 21 to drink thing. My friend and I enjoy a good club with atmosphore (not looking to like pick up hook up place really). 18 + clubs would be great in the 18 - like 30s (please no one take the age thing personally, I just feel more comfy around people in that age) crowd would be cool, with good music... (I've spent many nights just chilling around at the Roxy on a saturday enjoying the music from the maindance floor)...

Thanks,

-Vincent
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:59 am

Programs: United, USAir, Hyatt,
Talking

Originally Posted by vincom
We're looking more for night life and afternoon life (I'm away on a weekend, like hell Im getting up early). I've been told about the mall, so I'm already looking forward to that. Also the World of Coca Cola goes without saying (I'm a Coca Cola purist).

We do plan on renting a car, no issue there. I was going to stay at the W Atlanta, rather than this one, but I got the "Extreme" Room (700 SQfeet) for 155 a night, can't beat that... and I could use the stay to requalify for SPG Gold...

Thanks!
-Vincent

In visiting the World of Coca Cola, be sure to try the "beverly"
yum!
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:53 am

Vin-

Try the Halo Lounge. It is a nice spot - great music - great atmosphere.

http://www.halolounge.com/
Old Mar 5, 2005, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hdtv267
In visiting the World of Coca Cola, be sure to try the "beverly"
yum!
LOL, Im a fan of "Lift" -the mexican "Apple Flavored" soda...

I have it shipped in!

"Halo" Looks great - thanks!

Thanks everyone too BTW! Any FTers wanna meet up while I'm down there? Please let me know...

-Vincent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.