Wiki Posts
Search

"Pubs" vs "Bars" in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
"Pubs" vs "Bars" in London

I know this may sound extremely ignorant, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Is the word "bar" in Britain used interchangeably with "pub?" The reason I ask is because I love drinking pints of hard cider on draught, but most "bars" I've been to in London only served bottles. Is this generally true, or have I just missed the plot? In other words, are gay "pubs" different from gay "bars?"
Old Oct 26, 2004, 2:55 am
Suspended

I thinks it's a difficult call.

In my view, pubs are *generally* geared to a more local crowd, the drinks *can* be less expensive, they *usually* close at 11pm, *might* have a more traditional (read: unfashionable) interiors, and are more likely to be open during the daytime and serve food.

Therefore, given that cider on draught is not a particularly trendy, cosmopolitan drink, I think if you are looking for draught cider here in London, your best bet would be at a pub.

The word is not really used interchangeably; I think the principal difference I expect when going to a bar instead of a pub is that it will open past 11pm, and have a more up-to-date experience, although many pubs blur the lines as they have been renovated and now are really bars, but still have their old pub names.

Though there is no absolute in all of this, particularly as regards draught cider, so its best to check out a local place and see for yourself!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:41 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by apudme
In my view, pubs are *generally* geared to a more local crowd, the drinks *can* be less expensive, they *usually* close at 11pm, *might* have a more traditional (read: unfashionable) interiors, and are more likely to be open during the daytime and serve food.
That's pretty good advice from apudme.

However, one rather interesting gay 'pub' in London is King William IV in Hampstead.

http://www.kw4.co.uk

The Willie is probably London's closest equivalent to a country pub, but without the hostility to strangers. "Anybody's welcome," is Graham's invitation. The King William IV is a gay institution of which Hampstead should be proud.

ŠThe Pink Paper
And there use to be an amazing creperie stand just outside the pub too, run by a really friendly (& cute) Frenchman. Perfect for grabbing a bite on the way back home after a successful night
Old Oct 26, 2004, 5:16 am
pds

Location: London. Loyal BA fan - def the worlds favourite airline. BA silver, BMI silver, Air France Blue
The "Willy"

The creperie is still there beside the King William in Hampstead (or the Willy as it is sometimes referred to).

If you are looking for a more traditional gay pub closer to Soho, try the Kings Arms on Poland Street. It's clientele are mostly bears and their admirers, but it is always hilarious to sit there and watch random tourists walk in, realise they are in a gay pub/bar and then make a hasty retreat !!!!!!

Oh and the Willy now has a drag / cabaret act on at around 5pm every Sunday.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
Guys,

Thanks so much for the input; guess I was on the right track. I'm looking forward to my next trip in January and will be sure to follow your recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.