Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Madrid ??

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Gay Madrid ??

I am considering a trip to Madrid, Spain the end of August. Any ideas on places to stay and gay life in general? I will be sightseeing during the day, but don't want to sit in my hotel room everynight watching Spanish television.

------------------
I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.
It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!
Old May 28, 2003, 5:48 pm

Yo Seth mi amigo-

I just got back from Madrid.

It ain't possible to sit in your room in Madrid sport - there is way to much to do...

Gay Madrid centers in Chueca, the Plaza de Chueca, former working class neighborhood. Full of bars for prettyboyz, big bears, little bears, leather daddy's, drag diva's, and also cutting edge fashion boutiques and great restaurants.

Any hotel on the Gran Via is close to the action. The Gaudi gets good reviews. The Palace is withen walking distance and was fantastic.

Madrid will be a bit slower in August, all the Madrilenos go on vacation - try to squeeze in a side trip to Sitges or Ibiza and you may never come back.

Get a "Time Out" guide to Madrid - fantastic guidebook with a gay section - also check the Web there are a ton of websites - www.mensual.com, www.chueca.com, www.guiagay.com.

You will have a great time.
Old May 28, 2003, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
As mentionned, there will be some what fewer people since this is the time when most Spaniards head to the beaches for several weeks.

Madrid will be hot in August (around 90F for highs) and not every place is air-conditioned like people are used to (spoiled?) in the states. Bear that in mind when packing clothes.
Old May 28, 2003, 8:06 pm

OMG I love Mardid. If you, try to find Bar Why Not, and tell my boy Marco (the bartender) Hello <EVIL GRIN>.
Old May 28, 2003, 9:52 pm

Don't plan to do much but nap between 1 and 6pm. It'll be really hot and the streets will be empty. You might seriously consider having your main sleeping hours be 1pm-9pm. Go for museums and monuments between 9am and 1pm, sleep in the afternoon, then tour the cafe and street scene (a big part of Spanish culture) in the early evening. The streets will be packed with people of all ages out for a stroll or a drink until 2 or 3am, and what you might consider nightlife (for the US anyway) continues for hours afterward. Oh, if heavy duty cigarette smoke bothers you, look out.
Old May 29, 2003, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markg:

Madrid will be a bit slower in August, all the Madrilenos go on vacation - try to squeeze in a side trip to Sitges or Ibiza and you may never come back.</font>
There are well connected FT'ers in Sitges happy to show you around. markg is correct - I came for a week and decided to stay.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old May 29, 2003, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Madrid is a great gay destination.

I spent a year there going to the University of Madrid when I was eighteen.

I was very young an naive. Needless to say, I had my first encounter with a guy, first boyfriend, first EVERYTHING in Madrid.

The gay scene is wonderful. Plan on going to bed each night after the sun has come up!

In the summer, the terrazas on the Castellana are very fun in the early evening.

Write a trip report to share!
Old May 29, 2003, 2:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
I'll be in Madrid this summer as well, Barcelona too. What about crime? On other message boards I keep seeing postings about pickpockets and muggings, along with warnings to avoid "looking American," whatever that means. Any thoughts?
Old May 30, 2003, 5:26 am

There's no real violent crime in BCN. Occasionally you will have groups of immigrant youths who will demand your wallet or some such, but I have never had it happen. Most parts of the city are completely safe - these types of things tend to happen in the touristy areas at night. They don't have weapons; usually there are 3 and 2 will hold your arms while the other takes the wallet.

Just follow basic personal security procedures and you should be fine: don't walk alone in touristy areas late at night, don't walk around with an expensive camera hanging around your neck, and carry a mugger's wallet and you should be OK.

It really is a very safe city - you see little old ladies walking around at 1AM every night. Edited to add: said little old ladies are usually in groups out for a beer, or walking the dog, or going about other legitimate activities. Upon re-reading, it appeared that they were up to...other things.

------------------

[This message has been edited by alanw (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old May 30, 2003, 12:50 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
alanw, I plan to be in Sitges (meeting up with a bunch of non-flyer talk friends from London) the last w/e in June. If you'll be around and want to meet up for a drink, let me know.
Old May 30, 2003, 1:44 pm

Sure thing, AAPlatinum. I'm glad to show the group around if you like but always up for a drink

------------------
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:40 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:
I am considering a trip to Madrid, Spain the end of August. Any ideas on places to stay and gay life in general? I will be sightseeing during the day, but don't want to sit in my hotel room everynight watching Spanish television.

</font>
If you make it to Barcelona, there is a great Bed & Breakfast named "Beauty & The Beach". I spent a few days there at the end of March and had a great time in Barcelona. The hosts, Matt & Jose Maria are fantastic (and breakfast is great).

Here is a link for the above B&B:

www.geocities.com/beautyandthebeachnet/index.html

At 80e a night (120e for a couple) I thought it was a great deal and I plan on staying with them when I visit Barcelona next.

Madrid is on my list to visit when I return to Spain in September - please feel free to post comments & suggestions regarding your Madrid experience when you return.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 2, 2003, 2:21 pm

the best hotel EVER is Villa de la Reina. it is located on gran via - about 3 seconds from Chueca. and you can walk to the prado, plaza mayor, retiro park - all the clubs are nearby.

it has AMAZING rooms - all new - brilliant bathrooms - the cheapest mini-bar i've ever seen - hardwood floors -- it's the bomb.

and all rooms come with complimentary breakfast which is TO DIE for! the cafe con leche makes me melt!

see this:
http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/h10-dela-reina-madrid/

the website for the hotel group is:
http://www.h10.es

you WON'T be disappointed if you stay here. if you are - i'll pay for your next trip to spain!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:30 pm

I need to get from Galway to Barcelona in July. My current plan is to fly to Madrid and catch the train to Barcelona.

After reading these posts I may have to consider a night or two in Madrid.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
When are you taking me Marc (emoraver)? Looks nice!

[This message has been edited by catwood (edited 06-02-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.