Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Madrid ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:
There's no real violent crime in BCN. Occasionally you will have groups of immigrant youths who will demand your wallet or some such, but I have never had it happen. Most parts of the city are completely safe - these types of things tend to happen in the touristy areas at night. They don't have weapons; usually there are 3 and 2 will hold your arms while the other takes the wallet.

Just follow basic personal security procedures and you should be fine: don't walk alone in touristy areas late at night, don't walk around with an expensive camera hanging around your neck, and carry a mugger's wallet and you should be OK.

It really is a very safe city - you see little old ladies walking around at 1AM every night. Edited to add: said little old ladies are usually in groups out for a beer, or walking the dog, or going about other legitimate activities. Upon re-reading, it appeared that they were up to...other things.

</font>
Sound Advice. Last weekend my partner and I had 3 (yes 3) attempts on our wallets. You must keep all your money and papers in something around your neck inside your shirt. These belt bags are useless, they can be in in seconds. Be vigialnt, fortuately we were aware but I caught this woman hand (hidden under a coat) in my bag as I strap hung. They are professionals. Never carry more cash than you can afford to lose.

I love Madrid but it is a den of thieves, and none of them Spanish I would add.

Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:23 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PAUL PALMER:
Sound Advice. Last weekend my partner and I had 3 (yes 3) attempts on our wallets. You must keep all your money and papers in something around your neck inside your shirt. These belt bags are useless, they can be in in seconds. Be vigialnt, fortuately we were aware but I caught this woman hand (hidden under a coat) in my bag as I strap hung. They are professionals. Never carry more cash than you can afford to lose.

I love Madrid but it is a den of thieves, and none of them Spanish I would add.

</font>
I love Barcelona likewise, but pickpocketing is a big problem there as well. I've seen lots of great advice here and the big thing is to use common sense.

I suggest leaving your credit cards / charge cards / ATM cards in a safe place at your hotel/B&B and only carry enough cash for your specific outing. Keep extra cash in a safe place at your hotel/B&B likewise. Any cash on you should be kept in a safe place (i.e. don't carry a wallet full of cash in your back pocket). I actually suggest you don't even carry a wallet, just cash & proper identification. I have some pants & as well as shorts which have pockets on the inside front, which is where I prefer to keep my money, ID, and my Metro T-10 card when out in Barcelona.

If you plan on using an expensive camera while siteseeing, do it during the daytime and keep it in your front pocket with your hand over it when in a crowd. If you want to take pictures at night, buy a cheap disposable camera. One not need to be paranoid, but use common sense and be *observant*. Many of the pickpocketers are professionals, so it pays to be observant and aware of your surroundings.

While there are many theives, it's primarily petty crime (pickpocketing, etc.) and not violent crime. In Barcelona, be careful in the gothic quarters with the narrow walkways, especially at night. If you do get cornered & someone tries to rob you, the best thing to do is just give them what you have and get away to somewhere safe. If you are only carrying a small amount of cash, no major harm done and you're out 20-50e at most.

I see it as a hassle, but I love Barcelona and it's not worth losing your entire wallet, your charge cards, passport, and other important documents. I don't know what the exact law is in Spain regarding passports, but I kept my passport & other important items locked up at my B&B on my last visit. The only identification I kept on me was my Kentucky driver's license & a photocopy of my passport.

When I did need to get cash, I would then get my ATM card and make a special trip to an ATM machine and then go back to the B&B and put my ATM card back into safe storage. It's best to have a buddy with you when using the ATM, especially if you are using one at night.

Another option is traveller's checks, but they're a pain to use. If you have US$ travelers checks, you will have to go somewhere to get them exchanged and there is often a fee for a travelers checks on top of other currency transaction fees. I've never tried Euro denomonated traveler's checks, but I've heard a lot of small merchants won't accept them.... Besides, an ATM is typically the best & cheapest way to convert US$ (or other currencies) to the Euro.

With an ATM card, be sure to check with your bank or credit union about what fees apply when using an ATM overseas. Some banks will charge a fee for using an ATM not owned by them, others will charge that PLUS a currency conversion fee, and others won't charge anything. ATM cards from Credit Unions here in the states seem to offer the best terms, but there are many small "local" banks in different communities which issue ATM card's without any fees as well. I've also found ATM cards hooked to brokerage accounts (i.e. TD Waterhouse Visa Check Card / ATM card) to have good terms.

Last, if you plan on using a credit card, only carry it when you know you will need it. Credit cards offer great terms for currency conversion plus some additional protection.. but also check with your credit card issuer as some banks (Visa/MC issuers) are starting to charge currency conversion fees too.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 10, 2003, 2:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
Thanks alanw, Paul, & SDF. That pretty much confirms what I've been reading on other message boards about crime in Madrid and Barcelona. I've never worn my wallet around my neck, but I guess I'm going to have to.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KenCT:
Thanks alanw, Paul, & SDF. That pretty much confirms what I've been reading on other message boards about crime in Madrid and Barcelona. I've never worn my wallet around my neck, but I guess I'm going to have to.</font>
Wearing your wallet around your neck is one good idea. I've never done that myself, but instead I leave my wallet locked up at my hotel/B&B and just carry my drivers license, photocopy of passport & cash on me in an inside front pocket.

Do you have your accomodations for Barcelona yet? I believe I posted the link in another message, but I would highly suggest staying at "Beauty & The Beach", which is a gay bed & breakfast in Barcelona.

Here's the link, if you'd like to check out their website:
www.geocities.com/beautyandthebeachnet/index.html

I stayed with them on my first visit to Barcelona and I plan on using them again in the future. If you've never been to BCN, the hosts, Matt & Jose Maria, would gladly help you with directions, suggestions, and answer any questions you have about the city. They're great cooks as well! The B&B is a penthouse level apartment (very nice) and is a short walk to the beach. The location is good for access to public transportion including the Metro (Barcelona's subway system).

Also - be careful with waiters, especially if you're at a touristy type place like the Picasso Bar &lt;take note&gt;. If you give the waiter a 20e note for a 5e purchase, make sure you get correct change. I had a couple waiters who tried to pull a fast one thinking they'd get away with it. What they'll do is start to give you part of the change and then subtlely stop. They'll watch you to see if you notice and if you look back at them in the eye, they'll cough the rest of it up.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:14 am

I will admit to this. in years gone by I used to carry my paper money in my underwear (Istambul). I figured that that was on eplace I would know that they had had their hand!!!!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Madrid trip did not pan out. However, I will be in Honolulu over Labor Day weekend for a long weekend. Hope see some FT's there.

------------------
I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.
It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!
Old Jun 20, 2003, 1:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Madrid trip did not pan out. However, I will be in Honolulu over Labor Day weekend for a long weekend. Hope see some FT's there.</font>
Sorry to hear your news Seth, it sounded like you were really looking forward to it too. (I'll be passing through HNL in September but later than you.) I hope you enjoy your trip.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Seth
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Madrid trip did not pan out. However, I will be in Honolulu over Labor Day weekend for a long weekend. Hope see some FT's there.
Drats! I was in HNL just before Labor Day. Will be in Spain for Thanksgiving - MAD and BCN. Anyone else there?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, Starwood, Hilton
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Drats! I was in HNL just before Labor Day. Will be in Spain for Thanksgiving - MAD and BCN. Anyone else there?
Had the same idea.... we'll be there from 11/20 through 11/27, MAD & BCN...
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi!

Just back from Madrid with some friends. And gosh, what a luck. The friend of mine got his wallet hicked. It happened so fast, by the time we noticed it, it was to late. There was this guy who approched my friend and started asking him in broker English for a cigar (or cigratte?). I did not bother to listen and was walking futher in front with my other friends. Even though I was in ahead of him just a distance, this guy suddenly changed topic and started talking about Real Madrid and football. I think this is where he slipped his hand into my friends jacket and took the wallet. After this, he just left this friend of mine alone and went to talk to my other friend. This second friend of my luckily did not have anything in his pockets, just some money and that was all.. however, he detected something strange about this guy and instinctly shouted to me to ask the other friend of mine to check if his wallet was still there. However, by now, I had to run ahead to catch up with this other friend to ask, and by then everything happened so fast and later only discovered that he had indeed stole his wallet. All the cards were missing. so had to cut the night short. However, what was irritating was cancelling all the cards.

However, one good thing was that the police were really friendly when we went to report it, everything was very well organised. We had no trouble as they had translators and this could all be done via the phone and the Tourist Police were available at hand to help.

PS: Also, becareful for anyone going to the Palacio Real, there are these 2 ladies there promoting Flamenco dances. They will first forcefully put a carnation into your jacket or sweater, then they will demand some foreign currency. Never ever let them touch your wallet. I was off guard at this point and I suspect that she nicked a 10 Euro bill from my wallet while looking for those 'foreign' coins. Best is just give them back the carnation flower. I cannot be sure on this as I did not have much money with me at that time, and truthfully, could not remember if I did actually spend that 10 Euro, but am 99% sure I did not. So, just watch out for these two.

Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, Starwood, Hilton
I've heard of these two "popular" scams. Others scams include someone getting food or dirt on you and trying to wipe it off, while a second person nicks your wallet. Another involves you bumping into someone while they bend down to pick up something while a second person takes your wallet. And, of course, the shell game (also popular on NYC streets) where onlookers seem to be doing well against someone playing a game of shells, but they are really accomplices.

I think when we travel, we tend to let out guards down or are unfamiliar with the scams that go on in foreign countries.

Thanks for the heads up - always good to have a reminder.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA, BA, Starwood
Gay Madrid, Update 11/04

Hi, Any updates on Madrid?

My partner and I are travelling to MAD Nov 24th to Dec 1 (IAD, FRA, MAD> MAD, MUC IAD). We'll be staying the urban hotel (new). Any tips would be much appreciated.

Tom
*A Gold
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the useful info. I am planning a trip for New Year's. I hope it will be the blast that I have heard it is!

Peace!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.