Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Again?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Slain Newark teen balanced between two worlds
3 charged in death of youth who was living his dream as a female

Kelly St. John, Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writers Saturday, October 19, 2002

Eddie Araujo was finally living as the female he always knew himself to be. And in the end, police say, that may have cost him his life.

Three years ago, at age 14, Araujo worked up the courage to come out to his family. He called himself Gwen and lived as a young woman, growing long hair and wearing crop-tops and women's jeans. He dreamed of becoming a famous Hollywood makeup artist.

Araujo was different. And police say that is why three men beat and strangled the 17-year-old at a party in Newark two weeks ago and then dumped his body in a shallow grave in the Sierra.</font>
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...9/MN243494.DTL

This crap can happen anywhere, even in a "sleepy Silicon Valley suburb, where the high school is preparing to stage the Laramie Project, a play about the impact of the beating death of gay college student Matthew Shepard on his rural Wyoming community."

I grew up in the Bay Area - this makes me sick.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 2:10 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
yeah, and the Chronicle's continuing um, issues with getting pronouns right (hello AP Style Manual...it's not that hard, folks) is troubling.

plus, it's a bummer when someone with your name dies. (Admittedly, it's not like i picked mine, it was foisted upon me, continuing topic of bitterness, yessss....). much less the unfortunate circumstances of it being another transperson.

*sigh*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.