Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Safety if LGBT travelers in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to surprise my sister with a trip to Dubai on her 50th birthday, but it dawned on me that she might not be safe there because she is the T in the LGBTQI. .. What do you think ? Of course ended up in jail there is not part of her birthday gift. She won't be trying to engage in any type of unlawful promiscuity there but her physique might give her away.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMonsieur
I wanted to surprise my sister with a trip to Dubai on her 50th birthday, but it dawned on me that she might not be safe there because she is the T in the LGBTQI. .. What do you think ? Of course ended up in jail there is not part of her birthday gift. She won't be trying to engage in any type of unlawful promiscuity there but her physique might give her away.
That would be quite the surprise for her.

And. Why?
Of all the places in the world, Dubai is the best place you can think of to surprise your sister?

I just don't get it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA
I would be rather concerned regarding your sister being able to enter the UAE with any travel documentation that doesn't match her transitioned gender.

This has resulted in horrendous problems in many countries, including some where being LGBT isn't a crime, such as Hong Kong. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/world/...ong/index.html
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/09/24...ional-airport/

If Hong Kong can do that, I'd be very concerned about how the UAE would treat someone.

Dubai sucks btw. The shopping isn't that great anymore. Why not take her to Thailand instead? (Do NOT connect in Malaysia, Hong Kong, or China). I'd also avoid South Korea for a connection (you have to clear customs to change planes there). I'd change in Japan, Taiwan, or the Phillipines

EDIT...UAE arrests people for being Trans. And the people with them. https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/middle...n-feminine-way
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
That would be quite the surprise for her.

And. Why?
Of all the places in the world, Dubai is the best place you can think of to surprise your sister?

I just don't get it.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I understand your surprise ! 😄
The thing is she's been talking about how gorgeous the Palm hotel is with that gigantic aquarium. ..
Actually her official gender is female now but her physical transition is not fully done.
How about China ?
Would she be safe there ?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:08 pm

I understand your surprise ! ��
The thing is she's been talking about how gorgeous the Palm hotel is with that gigantic aquarium. ..
Actually her official gender is female now but her physical transition is not fully done.
How about China ?
Would she be safe there ?
The fact that her documentation is female but she has not fully transitioned can cause issues.

The problem is that if she goes through some airport scanner/xrays, they can show if she is still anatomically male.

https://www.ijet.com/blog/challenges...onal-travelers

http://people.com/celebrity/gigi-gor...g-transgender/

You asked about China. From what I can tell, there have been problems in Hong Kong, but that was a pretty complicated case. I cannot find anything on China proper. Trans people exist in China, and they face problems, but its not the worst place in the world.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Nov 2, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I LOL when I read these posts, I want o surprise my Lesbian sister in the Middle East. LOL Why not bring her to Syria or Iraq or Afghanistan!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I LOL when I read these posts, I want o surprise my Lesbian sister in the Middle East. LOL Why not bring her to Syria or Iraq or Afghanistan!
Actually, this discussion is about a Transgendered person.

Transpersons face special issues and concerns while travelling that usually go beyond those faced by other members of the LGBT community, including lesbians.

A discreet trip by Gay men or Lesbians to the UAE is probably okay (separate beds probably is a good idea). Also Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Albania, Qatar, etc.

The problem with travelling while Trans is that there are places where you really can't hide. Such as with an airport scanner. Its kind of hard for a Transperson, especially one that hasn't fully transitioned, to avoid detection if they have to go through a full body scanner at an airport.

Oddly enough, there is one Middle Eastern country that is absolutely awful for Gay men and Lesbians, but surprisingly tolerant towards Transpersons. That country is Iran.

---

There are plenty of Christian countries that are as dangerous (or more) as Muslim ones for LGBT persons. Jamaica, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Cameroon, Tanzania come to mind.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers

Thank you all for your answers and your understanding of my sister's predicament.
I think my best bet would be to take her to New Zealand as I don't think there are body scanners there and she's always wanted to go there. We live in Europe so we need to stop somewhere in Asia on our way to NZ.
Dubai being out of the question in light of what you all told me where would be the best place to stop ? Many companies stop in Shanghai or Bejing. Stopping in Australia looks impossible because of the body scanners issue.
bigguyinpasadena likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Thank you all for your answers and your understanding of my sister's predicament.
I think my best bet would be to take her to New Zealand as I don't think there are body scanners there and she's always wanted to go there. We live in Europe so we need to stop somewhere in Asia on our way to NZ.
Dubai being out of the question in light of what you all told me where would be the best place to stop ? Many companies stop in Shanghai or Bejing. Stopping in Australia looks impossible because of the body scanners issue.
The fact that Australia has body scanners isn't a real issue. Because Australia isn't likely to arrest her because of it. I wouldn't be concerned about Australia.

New Zealand is a great choice.

Its not the scanner that is the issue. Its the combination of scanners PLUS hostility to/criminalization of Trans persons. Most countries have scanners. That shouldn't be a problem so long as they respect Trans persons. Worst case scenario in Australia, assuming your sister has all of her paperwork in order, is that she gets called out of line for some discreet secondary questioning.
---
Now here are your transit options from Europe. I'd go through Bangkok.

But the best news is this. Most Asian transit airports allow you to transit without going through security.

---

But if you're looking to get out of the airport and reenter, its a real mess. UAE, Qatar, Indonesia, Malaysia are definitely in the no-go category. India and Singapore are in the 'probably okay, but could go sideways' category.

The good news is this gets better once your sister fully transitions.

Besides Thai is a great airline.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Nov 5, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I am in New Zealand now, take her here. Who cares about some stupid hotel in the shape of a palm tree? You'll appreciate being gobsmacked by natural wonders instead. If you're in Europe you can fly LHR-LAX-AKL on Air NZ if you are worried about transiting in a country because she is trans, you could also fly LHR/FRA/MUC/ZRH/CPH/CDG-BKK-AKL and no one is going to bat an eye about it at BKK.

If she cares about an aquarium you can take her to our world famous one in Monterey.
tatterdema and gfunkdave like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:08 pm

I dont know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.