Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Looking for best LGBT travel locations and events

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Asking for suggestions for the top LGBT travel locations and events to travel to. I live in Maryland right outside of Washington DC 34 year young Gay man Also cruise suggestion, even though I would save that for a special time
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:05 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, J.Sigma.

We have a forum dedicated to GLBT travel, so we will move your thread over there for further discussion. Happy travels!

/JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Hard to answer that question without knowing what you are specifically looking for. Are you looking for a beach party scene? A romantic place for a couple? Nonstop Sex or hookups? City culture and a little bit of party? City culture and heavy partying? Circuit parties in megawarehouses with thousands of men? An exotic destination with an elusive but intriguing grindr/scrufscruff scene? An epic and sensory overload event celebrating all gay?

Since you are in MD why not explore DC or NY?
have you been to Ptown? Fort lauderdale? Fire Island, NY?

Nighttours has a good list of events around the world (party oriented).
https://www.nighttours.com/gaypride/

The over the top experience that I never did was RIO Carnival. Always too expensive. Always too much planning involved.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Hard to answer that question without knowing what you are specifically looking for. Are you looking for a beach party scene? A romantic place for a couple? Nonstop Sex or hookups? City culture and a little bit of party? City culture and heavy partying? Circuit parties in megawarehouses with thousands of men? An exotic destination with an elusive but intriguing grindr/scrufscruff scene? An epic and sensory overload event celebrating all gay?

Since you are in MD why not explore DC or NY?
have you been to Ptown? Fort lauderdale? Fire Island, NY?

Nighttours has a good list of events around the world (party oriented).
https://www.nighttours.com/gaypride/

The over the top experience that I never did was RIO Carnival. Always too expensive. Always too much planning involved.
I agree with carlosdca's suggestions.
I would add that I find the NYC gay nightlife pretty disappointing for a city of that size. Don't forget Canada! Montreal is not that far and has a better nightlife than NYC.
I agree that RIO Carnival can be very expensive, but RIO is always fun, even during their low season. The weather in august is still very good, comparable with Miami winters, and it is low season as far as the hotels go. However the nightlife in Copacabana and Ipanema is not as good as it used to be, especially since they closed Le Boy a year ago.
And of course, there is Europe, with many many awesome gay destinations. Barcelona and Paris are some of my favorites. Check out:
https://www.travelgayeurope.com/
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Market Days (Chicago, August) would be a good starter for you. Friendly, daytime food/drinks/socializing.

Madrid, Mykonos for Europe.

Hard to suggest without budget & interests, OP.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Just was in NYC for two days and thought it had gone downhill. It would now rank it at the bottom of big city USA. Chicago, NOLA or even SF are so much better.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Just was in NYC for two days and thought it had gone downhill. It would now rank it at the bottom of big city USA. Chicago, NOLA or even SF are so much better.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

I'm probably biased having just returned from a great trip to the Provence: great food, great value. In NYC, food was just ok and priced outrageously.
Not too mention the overcrowding and toxic street fumes everywhere.

NYC is almost a the bottom of Best Places to Live (#80):
http://realestate.usnews.com/places/...gh_to_low=true
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I'm probably biased having just returned from a great trip to the Provence: great food, great value. In NYC, food was just ok and priced outrageously.
Not too mention the overcrowding and toxic street fumes everywhere.

NYC is almost a the bottom of Best Places to Live (#80):
http://realestate.usnews.com/places/...gh_to_low=true
Dude that "advertorial" is not something I would use as gospel. Those ranking are biased / skewed to show the real estate agents need to sell home in a certain area.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A gay event I usually go to that someone your age would enjoy is southern decadence labor day weekend in New Orleans. Unfortunately I can't make it this year but have gone about 12 times and always have a lot of fun. Lot's of gays and there's lots to do in NOLA and plenty of good food
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I kind of agree. Wonderful place to visit as a gay man. But in terms of all male gay nightlife, it is not what it used to be.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Another option for the OP is Europe. Airfare is not that expensive these days, lodging can be affordable and nightlife in cities like Barcelona or Berlin can be lots of fun.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
This may help your decision:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/t...lers.html?_r=0
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Check out some Pride events

Amsterdam where all the action takes place on the canals.

Sydney has a great festival for Mardi Gras - starts in early Feb and runs for a month with the big parade and after party on either the last Sat in Feb or the first Sat in March.

Great beach parties and harbour cruises = plus its summer time down under
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Check out some Pride events

Amsterdam where all the action takes place on the canals.

Sydney has a great festival for Mardi Gras - starts in early Feb and runs for a month with the big parade and after party on either the last Sat in Feb or the first Sat in March.

Great beach parties and harbour cruises = plus its summer time down under

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.