Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Should GLBT SPG fans be worried about Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: itsaboutthejourney
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

I know that I'm not the only SPG member who is concerned/skeptical about Marriott taking over our beloved program. One important factor is how Marriott treats/engages the GLBT community.

There is of course the Mormon factor, but curious what others know or are concerned about Marriott and GLBT engagement?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm not a lawyer but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (kidding!). Some of my best friends are gay & have stayed at Marriotts quite a bit/have status. I've not heard any negative comments by them re: Marriott & how they're treated, nor even about about the Mormon aspect.

Yes a number of the hotels have Mormon bibles in one of the dresser drawers (along w/ a regular bible), but my take on that is if you're not interested in a bible, Mormon or otherwise, just ignore it/them. I have no problem w/ tossing my clothes on top of them. I also tend to ignore the magazines of local stuff, room service breakfast menus to hang on doors, etc.

There may be some isolated anecdotal reports of properties or franchisees with gays or cultural ones, but the Marriott corporation itself is pretty inclusive.

I think bigger issues w/ the merger are what are they keeping or losing on both sides. There are some nice things SPG does & there are also some nice things Marriott does.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Bill Marriott (who is chairman emeritus & is no longer CEO) has always said there's a separation between his religion & the business. Mormons don't drink, but that doesn't mean Marriotts don't serve booze in their hotels, for example. Same w/ the LGBT situation. Arne Sorenson, the CEO, is Lutheran. He doesn't impose his religious beliefs on the corporation either.

I've had conversations with some gay friends re: Marriott both in the past & recently so dug up some articles, etc, re: Marriott & LGBT. From an older article (although I'll include newer links below it). All underlining is mine in the various articles/news clips.

From LA Times article:

"That Utah-based church pushed its members to support California's Proposition 8, which defined marriage as only between a husband and wife.

What the story didn't note, however, is that neither Bill Marriott nor his company contributed to Prop 8. When gay-rights activists threatened to boycott the Mormon-owned hotels in the aftermath of the measure's passage, Marriott made his position clear.

Marriott International has had domestic-partner benefits since the late 1980s and has earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index for two years in a row, Marriott said in a Nov. 13, 2008, release quoted in The Salt Lake Tribune. (Sharon's note: has scored 100% multiple years in a row).

Many of the hotels have hosted gay-community functions and events for years.

"The Bible that I love teaches me about honesty, integrity and unconditional love for all people," Bill Marriott said then. "But beyond that, I am very careful about separating my personal faith and beliefs from how we run our business."

This time around, Marriott is making the same point.

The Times describes Marriott's 2012 interview with Business Insider in which the hotel titan said that "he personally believed that marriage was between a man and a woman" but does not impose his religious views on the business.

"We have to take care of our people, regardless of their sexual orientation or anything else," Bill Marriott told the Insider (also found in Bloomberg Businessweek) "We have all the American values: the values of hard work, the values of integrity, the values of fairness and respect."

He further pointed out, "Our church is very much opposed to alcohol and we're probably one of the biggest sales engines of liquor in the United States. I don't drink. We serve a lot of liquor."

http://news.marriott.com/2016/12/mar...quality-index/

Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) today has been named, for the fourth consecutive year, among America’s top corporations for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. (LGBT) equality, by again earning a perfect 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) 2017 Corporate Equality Index.

Along with Marriott’s longstanding commitment to inclusive human resource policies, the perfect CEI rating also acknowledges the company’s public commitment to advancing LGBT equality. This year, Marriott officially joined the HRC Global Business Coalition, a respected public forum for major multinational businesses to advance workplace protections for LGBT employees worldwide. In addition, last month, Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson delivered keynote remarks at the annual Gala of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/mar...mber-commerce/

Marriott International First International Hotel Brand to be Honored by Colombian LGBT Chamber of Commerce

Marriott International (NASDAQ:MAR) was recently honored as the first international hotel brand in Colombia to pass the Colombian LGBT Chamber of Commerce’s six month review process. The Colombian chamber awarded the most “Friendly Biz” certification to Marriott for its customer protocols when serving LGBT guests. Last month, the Argentina Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CCGLAR) has recognized Marriott as the most LGBT Friendly Hotel Company.

Marriott has consistently championed diversity and inclusion. The company has been recognized for its talent development programs in the past and has landed on several “Best Places to Work” lists. Previous awards include LATINA Style Company of the Year, National Association for Female Executives Top 10 Companies for Executive Women, DiversityInc Top 50 Companies, National Gay & Lesbians Chamber of Commerce’s Corporation of the Year, a 100 percent score on Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, and World’s Best Multinational Workplaces as named by Great Place to Work

http://news.marriott.com/2016/05/mar...n-rights-nclr/

Marriott International Receives Community Partner Award from National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR)

Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAR) has been awarded for its commitment to diversity and inclusion by the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR), a non-profit organization that assists in advancing the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community’s civil and human rights. The Community Partner Award recognized Marriott International’s leadership role in these efforts and their contributions to the LGBT community.

Marriott International was recognized for its public initiatives, which include the #LoveTravels marketing campaign, the company’s extensive LGBT community engagement and Marriott’s recent stand against the North Carolina anti-LGBT legislation.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/11/mar...quality-index/

Marriott Scores 100% Perfect Ranking on 2016 Corporate Equality Index

http://news.marriott.com/2015/05/mar...h-lgbt-awards/

Marriott International, is celebrating after being named Brand of the Year at this year’s prestigious British LGBT Awards. Marriott International, which operates 57 hotels in the UK under brands including Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels and Courtyard, was recognised for its Pride campaign and partnerships.

The annual events’ judges were impressed by Marriott’s long-term commitment to supporting the LGBT community and celebrated the company’s work as an inclusive employer, its pro-active approach to marketing and the way fairness, non-discrimination and equality were embedded across all areas of the business.

As part of a high-profile media partnership with Attitude Magazine, Marriott will be creating its very own digital Pride Guide, helping its guests make the most out of their Pride stay, complete with tips and advice for the day and an ultimate style guide.

The award comes ahead of further activity by the group to support the LGBT community, which includes celebrating and supporting this year’s various Pride events and creating dedicated wedding material for same sex couples.

The Case Against a Marriott Boycott: Marriott is not a Mormon organization - See more at: http://authenticorganizations.com/ha....kHI6gNWN.dpuf

https://www.versaic.com/hubfs/cs-fil...Guidelines.pdf

Charitable Contribution
Description: Please note that Marriott corporate headquarters’ contributions are predominantly directed to national and global charitable organizations and NGOs, while our hotels provide support for non profits that are based in their immediate vicinity and align with Marriott’s giving areas.

Marriott even got bashed by some Christian org because of its support for LBGT & is accused of pushing homosexuality.

http://www.charismanews.com/culture/...-homosexuality

Despite Marriott's affirmations for the church, they continue a push for the immoral lifestyle. The company won the International Brand of the Year at the British LGBT Awards

(From link above) The Marriott Hotel chain is actively promoting homosexual lifestyles through its #LoveTravels campaign.

Marriott launched the campaign last year, seeming to throw its Mormon foundation to the wind. The company even offers gay lifestyle packages, including wedding destinations and local activities.

Chairman J.W. "Bill" Marriott is vocal about his support for gay marriage, claiming the belief is separate from his personal faith.

We embrace all people as our customers, associates, owners and franchisees regardless of race, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation."

https://skift.com/2015/06/29/behind-...r-lgbt-travel/

Marriott has been ramping up its marketing efforts targeting LGBT customers while also promoting its internal advocacy for the LGBT community.

On June 13, Marriott International hosted the first same-sex marriage ever officiated at the D.C. Capital Pride Parade, which capped off the 10-day Capital Pride festival celebrating LGBT culture and accomplishments.

Bill Marriott is not a newcomer to the LGBT rights movement. In fact, he has been a quiet supporter of LGBT rights for more than 25 years.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:39 pm

Full disclosure: I do not work for Marriott nor do I own stock in Marriott, but my derriere has been in enough Marriott beds over the years for both biz & leisure travel to get me Lifetime Platinum status.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 3, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I know that I'm not the only SPG member who is concerned/skeptical about Marriott taking over our beloved program. One important factor is how Marriott treats/engages the GLBT community.

There is of course the Mormon factor, but curious what others know or are concerned about Marriott and GLBT engagement?
Are you questioning the targeted marketing to the LGBT community?

What right now is Starwood really doing for us?

How does SPG engage with us?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I see no basis to say SPG is " better" for LGBT people than Marriott, given that Marriott is actually more active in sponsorships of LGBT events.
Do you have any basis for your fear?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I see no basis to say SPG is " better" for LGBT people than Marriott, given that Marriott is actually more active in sponsorships of LGBT events.
Do you have any basis for your fear?
I don't have facts (alternative or not); I just have my gut feelings of mistrust to go on, hence a reason I started this thread so people like SkiAdcock and others could post facts and firsthand info.

Personally, there is the Mormon factor, all the bibles/Book of Mormon in the rooms and not sure if the generally sanitized feel of Marriott hotels is part of that or just how they are executing their brand. Again, I'm going on my feelings here but the BoM in the rooms at Marriott and their related properties gives me a creepy feel.

In comparison, and I know W is just one part of Starwood, but they have year round pride & joy packages and their overall vibe seems to embrace anything gay. Small example: the 'intimacy kits' available without shame in the mini bar. (I know other progressive hotels offer similar, but not something I'd associate with any Marriott brand.) Starwood has always seemed more progressive.

SkiAdcock has posted some very enlightening info, the HRC score is surprising... at least to me.

Hope others are finding this thread helpful and enlightening.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:47 am

Marriotts are fine and LGBT friendly, both to guests and employees. Have several LGBT friends working in management positions at the company. And the Marriott family - including extended family - is quite LGBT-affirming.

Michael Marriott was the head of Equality Utah before he moved here to DC, where he and his husband Toby are active in many civic causes involving the gay community.

Fear not, and enjoy your stay. You're among friends.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Interesting info on Michael Marriott- thanks HomerJay.

Here is an article in which Bill Marriott Jr. discusses the dichotomy of his business and his faith
https://qz.com/216328/how-marriots-o...travel-market/

My personal wish is that Marriott put its money where its (Marketing)mouth is and contribute amounts equal to its tithing to the CLDS to GLBT rights groups while at the same time using its considerable presence in the church to influence a change in policy regarding LGBT issues.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena

My personal wish is that Marriott put its money where its (Marketing)mouth is and contribute amounts equal to its tithing to the CLDS to GLBT rights groups while at the same time using its considerable presence in the church to influence a change in policy regarding LGBT issues.
Can you provide a cite where the Marriott corporation is donating to any church/religion? Also, do you know for certain that the Marriott family members don't donate to LGBT rights groups in addition to their church tithing? Just curious on both.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I think SkiAdcock has provided great FACTS to make a decision on. The HRC score is impressive. I have always found Marriotts to be inclusive and was just in an event at the Marriott Marquis in DC that was the same. I don't stay at Marriotts much, but would absolutely have no problem supporting them with my business.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've got lifetime status in both programs. Most of my travel is for work, but my husband and I travel together quite often as well. I've never had an issue checking into a Marriott hotel with him anywhere in the world, including places like the Middle East and Africa. I live in the DC area and have gay friends who work in Marriott's headquarters, and they have nothing but great things to say about the company.

Sure, Starwood may have traditionally been more open to GLBT marketing, but Marriott certainly hasn't been unwelcoming or unfriendly, and in more recent years, has been a bit more openly targeting the GLBT community in its marketing efforts as well.

I see nothing to be worried about here. After all, it's kind of a double-standard to express concern about the Marriott family's religion when nobody seems to care at all about what religion the owners/executives of other hotels are. There's zero evidence of the Marriott corporation following the Marriott family's personal religious beliefs anyway. They're smart business people and know that they need to sell to a bigger market than just those who follow a specific set of moral beliefs.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can you provide a cite where the Marriott corporation is donating to any church/religion? Also, do you know for certain that the Marriott family members don't donate to LGBT rights groups in addition to their church tithing? Just curious on both.

Cheers.
While Marriott (and the other companies the Marriott family/corporation owns/ manages) are mostly (completely?) publicly traded companies a large chunk of money comes back to the Marriott family of which at least 10% is tithed to the Mormon church (per tradition). So I would think (guess) that if a sum equal to this was donated to a GLBT or Civil Rights cause it would make news.

"After all, it's kind of a double-standard to express concern about the Marriott family's religion when nobody seems to care at all about what religion the owners/executives of other hotels are"

If I had knowledge of any other hotel chain that profited a cult (church) I had problems with I would certainly not give them my business. And I would think that would have been revealed in this age of gotcha journalists.

"There's zero evidence of the Marriott corporation following the Marriott family's personal religious beliefs anyway" Look inside your nightstand next time you and your husband are staying in a Marriott.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
While Marriott (and the other companies the Marriott family/corporation owns/ manages) are mostly (completely?) publicly traded companies a large chunk of money comes back to the Marriott family of which at least 10% is tithed to the Mormon church (per tradition). So I would think (guess) that if a sum equal to this was donated to a GLBT or Civil Rights cause it would make news.

If I had knowledge of any other hotel chain that profited a cult (church) I had problems with I would certainly not give them my business. And I would think that would have been revealed in this age of gotcha journalists.

So is the concern that a small portion of profits will go to private individuals who then in their personal capacity will make donations to their religious institutions? Considering how many people on here see no problem flying Emirates this strikes me as insanely hypocritical. Are we now saying that you are concerned about any business with Mormon shareholders?

How a corporation treats its employees is far more telling than what church some of its shareholders belong to. Marriott passes that test. It sponsors many many LGBt causes and events. (more than Starwood). It publicly supports ENDA. There is no record of a pattern of discrimination towards guests. Basically, the only thing identified is that you disagree with the positions of the church that some of its shareholders belong to. That strikes me as an illogical reason to be "concerned" that any aspect of Starwood properties is suddenly going to be less gay friendly. (In mathematical terms, the percent of a dollar spent that goes to the Mormon Church is tiny.... It's 10% of specific shareholders of the management company's profit. If you added up all of the other corporate giving, I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded that.)

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 4, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA
I don't think you can really say anything about either being anti-Gay.

I've got a bigger issue with Hilton, which appears to be cancelling Gay events in Russia...http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/25/5...ia-lgbt-moscow

I wouldn't stay at any hotel, regardless of badge owned by Doug Manchester. I'd also prefer to not stay at an Omni Hotel either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.