Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

An extended weekend in Mexico City ... what's a single gay guy to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler

I have not posted in a while here ... I am headed out of Orlando via AM Premier to CDMX this coming weekend and I am psyched after being relatively "vacation starved". Although I will be with good friends, who are coupled, and staying at the PUG SEAL POLANCO in Polanco of course, I may likely head out to see some nightlife solo. I know I can always do the app thing, but if I can find a friendly, interesting drink bar and/or dance club solid recommendation upon recommendation on flyertalk ... why not?

On another note, as we will be simply urban exploring a neighborhood a day, does anyone have a smash suggestion for pre-dinner drinks with scenery and architecture to wow ... LGBT or otherwise?

Finally, I am a bit of an antique buff and always head into neighborhood shops the world over to see what bits of history people collect and sell. Does anyone, from my LGBT crowd here have a solid suggestion in these arena ... I am open to the neighborhood and location. I am usually up for the interesting and the unusual in this arena.

Gracias, gracias y gracias
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Dance with the Mariachi's, what else can a single guy do!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Well you didnt get much suggested a year ago, but how was it?
Heading down myself for a 3-day weekend same time of year this year
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well you didnt get much suggested a year ago, but how was it?
Be careful in Mexico, a newly wed friend of friend disappeared and was never found.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...awn-ramta.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Missing person... drug related ?

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Be careful in Mexico, a newly wed friend of friend disappeared and was never found.
It is my understanding that upscale neighborhoods in Mexico City, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta are rather safe to walk, day or night.

It is also my understanding that these "missing person" cases might be related to ransom cases, mostly locals, or to be drug related, locals and tourists.

Tourists do not dare to cross borders with drugs trusting it will be rather easy and cheaper to acquire them locally, the so called "social drugs". It might... but one is also prone to interact with ill-intentioned people and associates. Prices charged might go easily up, an argument ensues with a huge language barrier and vengeance from the dealer and/or associates ensue in the next few hours/days, out of nowhere. A person's life might be the price of vengeance being settled.

Having said that... in CDMX stick to Zona Rosa, Roma, Condesa and Polanco and you will be safe and have lots of fun. Bear in mind that all kind of social drugs or dulces ought to be avoided.

Let us know if you need additional info.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pb9997
It is my understanding that upscale neighborhoods in Mexico City, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta are rather safe to walk, day or night.

It is also my understanding that these "missing person" cases might be related to ransom cases, mostly locals, or to be drug related, locals and tourists.

Tourists do not dare to cross borders with drugs trusting it will be rather easy and cheaper to acquire them locally, the so called "social drugs". It might... but one is also prone to interact with ill-intentioned people and associates. Prices charged might go easily up, an argument ensues with a huge language barrier and vengeance from the dealer and/or associates ensue in the next few hours/days, out of nowhere. A person's life might be the price of vengeance being settled.

Having said that... in CDMX stick to Zona Rosa, Roma, Condesa and Polanco and you will be safe and have lots of fun. Bear in mind that all kind of social drugs or dulces ought to be avoided.

Let us know if you need additional info.
He was in Polanco!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks all. I'm not really concerned about safety and don't do drugs. More looking for suggestions for some bars, and perhaps some sightseeing.
I was in DF back in 2008, and did the major sites then: Teotihuacan, Palacio de Hellas Artes, Kahlo, Zocaol, Trotsky, Chapultepex
Think I'll be staying in Zona Rosa, at the Sheraton one night and the Holiday Inn the second.
I'll also be arriving pretty early in the morning- 6am at MEX, so any good morning activities appreciated
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
He was in Polanco!
I did read all Shawn Ranta's news, website and ordeals, not much on the web by the way. We do not have all the details regarding his whereabouts prior to the fact or the friends/acquaintances he might have made during his stay or his habits, other than his last going to gym, fundamental to any investigation. Even his belongings were collected only weeks after the fact with passport and mobile phone missing.

Fact is people are usually just not abducted, out of thin air, for no reason. In Mexico drug-related crimes do happen, even in chic neighbourhoods, thus my advice. Drug related murderer have happened in posh neighbourhoods.

By the way... I did live in Polanco.

Originally Posted by Adam1222;
(...) looking for suggestions for some bars, and perhaps some sightseeing.
Being in Sheraton and Zona Rosa you are steps away from lots of bars/discos, as you may well remember from 2008. Calle Amberes, in front of Sheraton Maria Isabel, still is the focus on Zona Rosa. Lots of bars/discos for you to choose from; Kinky on the corner of Reforma being the fanciest and Boy Bar being the more explicit. Steps away, in calle Florida, you have two more bars to check, between calles Hamburgo and Londres.

At Condesa you ought to go to Toms Bar in Insurgentes near calle Michoacan where the hardcore happens. Nothing written outside, no flashlights all the action happens inside. It has been safe for over a decade. Worth a visit, specially on Tuesdays.

In Polanco you may find the upscale gay-friendly disco, completely different scenery, thus more expensive. Also in Polanco you may find Sodome, a upscale gay sauna open almost 24/7 during weekends.

During the day you can always ride the different Turibus, there are different circuits they ride, one for the city and one towards the south. Sunday I would suggest. Maybe walking to Plaza Cibeles where they depart from and watch the daily life. There are nice cafes and restaurants there to while away.

Saturday afternoon you want to be in San Angel, an area with paintings, churches, restaurants and cafes. You can always Uber yourself there or ride a public bus if you want the real ultra inexpensive local experience, departing from Insurgentes to Bombonera.

Sunday afternoon Coyocan is the place to be for some real ultra Mexican culture and experience.

In Polanco, you may recall Palacio de Hierro in Moliere, near Av Pres Masaryk, much nicer since your last visit... Palacio de Hierro has been revamped completely, maybe worth having a meal or a coffee in the terrace upstairs. And you can walk to Antara shopping, on the next street, nearby.

I would also recommend ambling around Roma and Condesa... Michoacan and Tamaulipas, nice bars, restaurants and people watching. Parque Mexico, nearby is also worth it, with a nice churros bakery on the corner of Michoacan. If you love dogs, there is a dog park with lots of action.

Y... Que lo disfrutes rico y la pases muy bien !

PS - Not DF anymore, it just shows one's age ; It is CDMX nowadays, a city which has evolved to being a own State of the Mexican Federation.

Last edited by pb9997; Oct 3, 2017 at 12:13 pm Reason: Not DF anymore...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, Mexico city is beautiful, we stayed at the Sheraton as well, the hotel warned us to be careful. Took the hotels transport. I have seen enough of Mexico, don't think I wanna go back. There are other cities that are safer to explore.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Boosting for up to date info

I’m planning my first visit to CDMX next year.

Anytips and suggestions welcomed. I’m planning on staying in Roma Norte.

i don’t drink and I rarely club but do love my food. So unique or quirky dining suggestions or fun coffee spots would be just what I’m after.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Looks like I'm going to CDMX in January for two weeks (work trip, customer visit). Really excited to go, and will probably stay in Polanco/Zona Rosa area. Been to PV many times, not scared. I'm more concerned about the altitude as I'm a sea-level binch...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.