Search

Best experience in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Best experience in Europe

Hi guys
I'm going to Europe in the middle of November (live in London UK) but haven't decided where yet.
Since I will be travelling alone I was wondering which European city is good for a good night life ( and nice wine bars!) / friendly people.

Of course it depends on flight prices and hotel costs as I'm going for 3/4 nights.

Was vaguely thinking Madrid but some thoughts are Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Thanks
B52
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
You can have a good time in all of the cities you mention and many others - in the day and night.

Lots of culture and sight seeing, depending on what interests you.

I visited Amsterdam and Copenhagen this year and both are great.

Not been to Madrid for a while but visited many times and have always enjoyed. It is particularly good for food.

English is widely spoken in Amsterdam and Copenhagen by locals, which may be important. Not as sure about Madrid, as I have not visited for years.

We went to a few friendly gay bars in Copenhagen and there are some good ones in Amsterdam. A but hazy on Madrid but I am sure there are some places to go.

I would be happy returning to any of these cities and if you have not visited them, do choose one.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Of the three cities you mention, Copenhagen has the smallest gay nightlife and highest costs. It's quite pretty, but not as much of a party city as Amsterdam or Madrid.

For wine bars and nightlife, I'd recommend Barcelona.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Adam1222
For wine bars and nightlife, I'd recommend Barcelona.
I'd second this recommendation ^

There seem to be more people who speak English in Barcelona (or willing to use it at least). The weather would be much better than Amsterdam or Copenhagen, although unless there's unusual weather you probably won't be swimming in the sea
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Don't go to CPH. The gay bars suck (one was a jail theme...but not fetish scene) and everything is expensive.
AMS is fun but I mostly just get high and then never actually go to any clubs/parties.

If you really want nightlife you could also go to Berlin. Plenty of sure ways to get lucky there (LAB on a Friday). The weather shouldn't be any better or worse than what you'd have in London.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Biggles52
...I'm going to Europe in the middle of November (live in London UK)...
You have noticed, I guess, that the UK has not yet left Europe (I mean the EU, because England, including London, has always been part of Europe). Unless, of course, you mean London, Ontario.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KLouis
You have noticed, I guess, that the UK has not yet left Europe (I mean the EU, because England, including London, has always been part of Europe). Unless, of course, you mean London, Ontario.
Funny I picked up on that but didn't say anything lol.
The mainland!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Hopefully we will hear from the OP again in response to our suggestions.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'd second this recommendation ^

There seem to be more people who speak English in Barcelona (or willing to use it at least). The weather would be much better than Amsterdam or Copenhagen, although unless there's unusual weather you probably won't be swimming in the sea
This would be my choice. The last of the sunshine, great bars, eye candy and decent value for money.

Have fun!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Hopefully we will hear from the OP again in response to our suggestions.
Or perhaps not given that he jumped the gun on Brexit and might have caused chaos in the streets in the former European city of London.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I love Madrid, and I would opt for it.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I love Madrid, and I would opt for it.
What do you like in particular or can recommend for the OP if he visits Madrid?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I also love Madrid.
I couldn't recommend anything in particular.
For me, Madrid is so alive on its streets, and very late.

Go to Plaza Santa Ana, have some drinks and watch life in front of your eyes.
Or do the same in Chueca.
Experience the neighborhoods.
Check the prix fix dinner menus around your hotel, which include a full bottle of wine or water (For 12-20 euros) and choose one for a casual dinner. IF the wine is not that great, get sparkling water and mix it up, it is what the locals do.
After the bars, stop at any of these hole in the wall joints around the city and get a nice warm sandwich (bocadillo) and yet another glass of wine!

I don't think Madrid is a city that you can enjoy hopping from attraction to attraction. But there is "El Prado" and the beatiful park around it or "Reina Sofia" another great museum, if in the need for that.
Get a Lonely Planet Guide for specifics. There is just to much to do and see in Madrid.

Last edited by carlosdca; Oct 19, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I had to specify that I already lived in the U.K. otherwise someone might have suggested London! (As we are still part of Europe!)

I must say my head is turning this way, that way depending on the weather, my good/bad day etc so On the 1st November I'm just going to go with my gut instinct. (Which ever has the cheaper flights, but if the same price depends on cost of hotels! )

B52
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The food, the people the culture and I like the night life as well as shopping. How's that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.