Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling BOS-SGN, Do you have any suggestion on cheap LGBT friendly stopovers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I am doing a 3 week trip BOS-SGN. At the end of my trip, I would like to spend 2 nights somewhere on the way back. The only cheap stopover I can think of is Tokyo... I am wondering if anyone can suggest any cheap stopover in an LGBT friendly city?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Qatar Gold, Delta MM
Having lived in Asia for many years, I don't think you're going to find any cheap stopovers on your way back. Usual stops are going to to be places like Hong Kong and Tokyo.

You might consider an open jaw. For example, you could do BOS/SGN and return BKK/BOS. There cheap one-way flights for under $100 from SGN to Bangkok.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I echo Bangkok - this is undoubtly the most gay friendly place in Asia...you will find plenty of action and available guys/girls there. It is reasonably cheap too.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Lots of options

Maybe Bali some great gay bars there open and raging 7 nights a week

Phenom Penh has a few great gay hotels and lots of bars and eating options

Japan is very closeted and often hard to get entry into bars as a gaijin (non japanese) this stems from a fear that foreigners would bring disease into the community - so if they restrict us from their clubs less chance of that happening

BKK is most likely the most friendly gay location
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
For the average tourist, Japan is extremely LGBT friendly. Yes, foreigners don't usually go to small Japanese bars, but it doesn't matter because the average tourist doesn't speak Japanese anyway. It'd be a waste of time. And on the street, no one knows you're gay unless you're trying to show it, so that's not a concern.

Tokyo's foreigner friendly gay scene is quite vibrant in Shinjuku. I live in Seoul and we have the best nightlife around, and I do enjoy Tokyo a lot, too. Lots of local Japanese too. I've always had fun. You can meet a local guy through an app and he can show you great restaurants and whatever else you may want. And you can fly nonstop to NRT from BOS.

Seoul is also a great stopover. Korea I think is largely unknown by western tourists. Everyone that's come here has thoroughly enjoyed themselves beyond their imagination. As with Japan, language can be difficult, but again....the powers of a local (or anyone who can speak the language) always helps.

Hong Kong is a great city with good energy, but the LGBT scene for the casual, short visiting tourist is EXTREMELY lacking. Just a gay bar here or there. Not like concentrated areas.

As far as other Asian hubs....ooh Taipei. I haven't been in several years, but I've never heard a bad word about Taipei. Hot guys. Good scene and food etc.

Don't waste your time with Beijing. Literally nothing there except tourist sites. Shanghai is cool, but I think the international/gay scene is a bit like HKG.

IMO, that's really it for Asian stopover cities.

And yes, Bangkok is...Bangkok. Cheap food, famous nightlife, really good for indulging haha.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
For the average tourist, Japan is extremely LGBT friendly. Yes, foreigners don't usually go to small Japanese bars, but it doesn't matter because the average tourist doesn't speak Japanese anyway. It'd be a waste of time. And on the street, no one knows you're gay unless you're trying to show it, so that's not a concern.

Tokyo's foreigner friendly gay scene is quite vibrant in Shinjuku. I live in Seoul and we have the best nightlife around, and I do enjoy Tokyo a lot, too. Lots of local Japanese too. I've always had fun. You can meet a local guy through an app and he can show you great restaurants and whatever else you may want. And you can fly nonstop to NRT from BOS.

Seoul is also a great stopover. Korea I think is largely unknown by western tourists. Everyone that's come here has thoroughly enjoyed themselves beyond their imagination. As with Japan, language can be difficult, but again....the powers of a local (or anyone who can speak the language) always helps.

Hong Kong is a great city with good energy, but the LGBT scene for the casual, short visiting tourist is EXTREMELY lacking. Just a gay bar here or there. Not like concentrated areas.

As far as other Asian hubs....ooh Taipei. I haven't been in several years, but I've never heard a bad word about Taipei. Hot guys. Good scene and food etc.

Don't waste your time with Beijing. Literally nothing there except tourist sites. Shanghai is cool, but I think the international/gay scene is a bit like HKG.

IMO, that's really it for Asian stopover cities.

And yes, Bangkok is...Bangkok. Cheap food, famous nightlife, really good for indulging haha.
Thanks for this. I really wanted to do Bangkok... but sadly the stopover is so expensive... I think I am going to do Tokyo, since the Stopover is roughly $100 more on ANA (I'm flying ANA regardless if I am doing a stopover or not.. and just doing a multicity one, it's just $100 more). I haven't booked my flight yet, since both hopper and kayak say wait....

Which app do you meet local guys through? Grindr?

I would love to do Seoul also, but Korea Airlines doesn't goto Boston... My mom who is flying out of JFK is going on Korea Airlines with a stopover in Seoul. She is flying out a week before me, since I still have final exams during early December.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You can use Grindr, BUT the most popular app in Asia for local guys is Jackd. Waaaaaaaaaay more guys on Jackd than Grindr. If you're going to Japan and are into "bears" (the term is much more loose here, it's literally anyone that's not skinny and has some hair), you definitely need to download 9Monsters.

If you're flying ANA, you're going to have to have a stopover in the US, just as if you flew Korean Air. Don't rule out Seoul. As Korean Air is the biggest Asian carrier in America, they often have some pretty cheap deals when you are connecting in Southeast Asia (and stopovers are included). The only way you can get to SGN with one stop is on Japan Airlines.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
You can use Grindr, BUT the most popular app in Asia for local guys is Jackd. Waaaaaaaaaay more guys on Jackd than Grindr. If you're going to Japan and are into "bears" (the term is much more loose here, it's literally anyone that's not skinny and has some hair), you definitely need to download 9Monsters.

If you're flying ANA, you're going to have to have a stopover in the US, just as if you flew Korean Air. Don't rule out Seoul. As Korean Air is the biggest Asian carrier in America, they often have some pretty cheap deals when you are connecting in Southeast Asia (and stopovers are included). The only way you can get to SGN with one stop is on Japan Airlines.
Thanks.. Yeah I just did a quick Kayak glance, the stopover to Tokyo vs Seoul is the same right now from BOS. I'm waiting to book my mom's ticket (she is doing JFK-SGN and leaving a week before me, since I have final exams still and I am leaving from BOS)... I think I will most likely to Seoul, if they price and hotel is about the same.. And I think the dollar is stronger there vs Japan.. but I haven't looked it up yet...

I'm into average body boys.. not the American bear.. I'm pretty average body.. maybe asian fat in Asia haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.