Wiki Posts
Search

Germany beyond Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Germany beyond Berlin

After some time in Mykonos in July, I'll be heading up to Germany for about 6 days. Flying into Cologne, and out of Munich. How I divide the 6 days is open. Options include:
(1) Cologne (3) / Munich (3)
(2) Cologne (2) / Dusseldorf (1) / Munich (3)
(3) Cologne (2) / Frankfurt (2) / Munich (2)
(4) Cologne (2) / Hamburg (2) / Munich (2)
(5) Cologne (2) / Leipzig (2) / Munich (2)

I've done Berlin before so thought this would be a good chance to see other parts of Germany.

Any thoughts on what a solo 31 yo gay traveler might enjoy?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Any thoughts on what a solo 31 yo gay traveler might enjoy?
It depends on what you like to do. The advice from a show tunes queen will be different from that of a Hipster/Barista qeeen.
I'm neither

Dusseldorf and Cologne are very close to each other, so you can do a day/night trip from one to the other without changing hotels.

Frankfurt is very boring. Sure, it is interesting. Not worth the trip.

Leipzig is on the other side of the country, a long train ride, not worth the trek, IMO.

Munich and Hamburg are much more interesting, still far apart from each other.

So I'd recommend:

a) Dusseldorf/Cologne and Hamburg
b) Dusseldorf/Cologne and Munich.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Germany beyond Berlin

depending on the mood, I can be either of those or any other sort of queen....
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bavaria is a beautiful and interesting area.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If you're talking about this from a gay perspective, my favorite cities in that regard (after Berlin and München) would be Leipzig and Nürnberg. In fact, I probably would rank Essen as being better than Köln (which I personally find kind of "annoying gay"). However, I can make cities like Chemnitz and Erfurt work well for me in the gay regard.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Don't go to Frankfurt.

Hamburg was nice for 2 days.

My next trip outside of Berlin will probably be Stuttgart.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: lh sen
2 nights Cologne, 3 nights Hamburg and just one night Munich. If it happens that you are a shopping queen looking for posh entertainment stay all the time in Munich. I can guarantee that you will have a boring time.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:23 am

While in Munich a year ago hubby and I ended up at the BMW Welt as he is more of a car person than I. We both thoroughly enjoyed the museums and the factory tour. It was fun watching the whole BMW experience of people getting their cars delivered to them. I truly thought we would be there maybe an hour and a half but we ended up being there 4-5 hours. We also enjoyed wandering around Schloss Nymphenburg.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Why go to Germany in the first place? How about spending more time in Greece? Or France, Spain, Austria...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why go to Germany in the first place? How about spending more time in Greece? Or France, Spain, Austria...
Because I've been to all of those places and want to go to some places i havent been in Germany, thanks. I'm well aware there are other countries in Europe.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Because I've been to all of those places and want to go to some places i havent been in Germany, thanks. I'm well aware there are other countries in Europe.
Then I suggest three nights in Köln and three nights in München. Do a daytrip from München to Salzburg and a daytrip to Aachen/Monchau from Köln.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 22, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Then I suggest three nights in Köln and three nights in München. Do a daytrip from München to Salzburg and a daytrip to Aachen/Monchau from Köln.

What do you suggest doing three nights and days in Cologne?

Clubbing is only on the weekend and only once per month. On the day time you visit the cathedral, the art museum and then? The cathedral again or the bathhouses?

What are the attractions in Monchau (I have never heared about this place) or in Aachen?

Instead of considering Leipzig I would suggest Dresden. CGN - DRS with a cheap flight and then DRS-MUC. Dresden has much more to offer then Leipzig - if you wanna see a city in former GDR.

Last edited by carpetbagger; Feb 22, 2015 at 11:52 pm
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
I would take the RE and head to Dusseldorf for a day. It is an interesting city and there are lots of things to do and take a look. To get a flavor of a different German City, why not?
The third day, personally, I would relax. Otherwise it is not a vacation.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carpetbagger

Clubbing is only on the weekend and only once per month. On the day time you visit the cathedral, the art museum and then? The cathedral again or the bathhouses?
What are the attractions in Monchau (I have never heared about this place) or in Aachen?
Cologne is a good base to explore the surrounding area. Instead of packing and unpacking all the time, stay somewhere longer and take day trips by train.
Monchau is a cute mountain village near the border with Belgium:

Aachen is famous for being the former residence of Charlemagne.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aachen

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 23, 2015 at 6:49 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:00 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
If you're in Cologne and not looking to exclusively do the gay scene, here are a couple of recommendations:

Claudius Therme Baths
You can spend a few hours or an entire day here. I ended up treating myself to a day pass just to relax and had an enjoyable time. There are clothing optional areas and these are marked as such. The main part of the spa is clothing required since it's also used by families but there are I believe 5 different types of sauna and an upstairs area that is adults only. If you want something to truly help you relax, try the Serailbad which is like a full body mud scrub. This is limited so you'd have to sign up in the upstairs area and there is an extra fee.

Cologne Zoo- If you're interested in zoos.

Rent a bike from Colonia Aktiv near the Maritim hotel and bike along the Rhein river. There are bike paths that go quite a ways out of Cologne and if you start on the city side and head towards Rodenkirchen, I believe there is an old cable ferry that will take you across the river (if it's still there) and then you can bike back along the opposite bank. You could always check to see if there are any city festivals down that way and then stop in for a beer before heading back. I got lucky one time and happened to hit a Apple Wine festival in one of the small towns while out biking. They also offer bike tours if you're interested in that.

If you do head down to Munich, keep in mind that you could also do a day trip down to Salzburg, Austria if you were so inclined. It's about an 1.5 hour train ride from Munich to Salzburg and you could spend part of the day wandering old Salzburg or take the rail car up and tour the Fortress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.