Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit (Out Traveler)

The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit (Out Traveler)

Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 7,058
The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit (Out Traveler)

http://www.outtraveler.com/features/...ld-never-visit

1) Nigeria: Well that's a given.
2) Honduras: 2 People I know from there say there's no reason to go anyways.
3) Zimbabwe: Not that straight or gay would want to be around Mugabe.
4) Jamaica: I've been 3x at 5 Star Resorts. I've only gone with family, all the people I encountered at the resort couldn't seem to be nicer (Montego Bay/Rose Hall). Only other outside interactions are some dive trips but I don't think I would go around holding hands in Kingston.
5) Senegal: No comment.
6) Lithuania: Surprised me and a little sad. Two models I frequently work with are from Vilinus and are always asking me to come when I'm in EU.
7) Sudan: No comment.
8) Egypt: The bathhouse raids are disturbing and eventually one day I would like to visit regardless.
9) Russia: Duh
10) Uganda: Duh x 2

Aside from a few of these places I don't think they are on many a well-heeled traveler's to do list.

While traveling safe and smart is always something to take in mind the only time I have actively done something out of "fear" was Jamaica. My first trip there I used to have one of my photos of a male model as my iPhone case, I removed it prior to the trip.
JVPhoto is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:10 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
I did go to Moscow in 1999 and had a blast, but not interested in going again any time soon. Never been to Egypt, but definitely would like to go some day. Would love to see the pyramids, go 4x4 in the dessert and snorkel in the Red Sea. The other places do not appeal to me, one way or the other.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:16 pm
  #3  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milton, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Posts: 19,026
I have been to Jamaica and Egypt.... as long as you are careful.. and ask for two beds, there are no problems.

I would like to visit Russia one day... but no real desire for the other locations. And I am not even sure I would do Russia now.
wharvey is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auckland NZ
Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Posts: 742
I've been to Lithuania--it's awesome and the men are hawt hawt hawt. Vilnius is charming.
jawnbc is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,591
I think that Georgia, USA (the state) should be in that list.

As thriving and large that the gay community might be in Atlanta, it is still kind of auto segregated. Same sex sexual relationships were legal in California in the 70s. In Georgia, 1998. They are 20 years behind. One of the handful of states where you can't marry yet and polls show that the percentage of people that support gay marriage is in the low 20%.

I go there for work. But never as a gay tourist.
carlosdca is offline  
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: #1 LGA, #2 JFK, #Never EWR
Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I think that Georgia, USA (the state) should be in that list.

As thriving and large that the gay community might be in Atlanta, it is still kind of auto segregated. Same sex sexual relationships were legal in California in the 70s. In Georgia, 1998. They are 20 years behind.
still 5 years ahead of the ranks of TX/LA/FL/UT/etc
IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DCA/IAD and RTW
Programs: UA GS, DL360, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,385
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
1) Nigeria: Well that's a given.
2) Honduras: 2 People I know from there say there's no reason to go anyways.
3) Zimbabwe: Not that straight or gay would want to be around Mugabe.
4) Jamaica: I've been 3x at 5 Star Resorts. I've only gone with family, all the people I encountered at the resort couldn't seem to be nicer (Montego Bay/Rose Hall). Only other outside interactions are some dive trips but I don't think I would go around holding hands in Kingston.
5) Senegal: No comment.
6) Lithuania: Surprised me and a little sad. Two models I frequently work with are from Vilinus and are always asking me to come when I'm in EU.
7) Sudan: No comment.
8) Egypt: The bathhouse raids are disturbing and eventually one day I would like to visit regardless.
9) Russia: Duh
10) Uganda: Duh x 2

Aside from a few of these places I don't think they are on many a well-heeled traveler's to do list.
What a strange list. I can think of many, many less gay friendly places. Saudi Arabia? Iran?

Ironically I've been to all 10, and never felt in danger in any of them....and Jamaica was CRAWLING with "the gays."

As far as Zim...Victoria Falls...enough said.
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DCA/IAD and RTW
Programs: UA GS, DL360, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,385
Originally Posted by jawnbc
I've been to Lithuania--it's awesome and the men are hawt hawt hawt. Vilnius is charming.
Any recommendations? I'll be there for the first time in 10 years in a few weeks
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Posts: 1,507
In Egypt apps are not blocked but the number of Egyptians on them is minimal, with even fewer willing to reveal themselves. In the resort towns expect to see a decent number of foreign faces though, if resort towns are how you want to see egypt.

As a foreigner it is highly unlikely you'd face any issues any different from any other Muslim country.

I would simply sub in all of the Arab Muslim world, incl Turkey and Iran, instead of arbitrarily just egypt.
Bonaventure is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington DC
Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 40
OutTraveler routinely publishes idiotic lists. This is no different. Granted there are some places on the list that are not safe, but there are plenty of other countries that are more dangerous than Lithuania and Zimbabwe.

As someone who worked and lived in Zimbabwe, Senegal, and Uganda I will say Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia are way more dangerous than the African countries. Uganda and Nigeria may have the most homophobic laws on paper, but not many people bother you if you are foreigner. The laws almost exclusively apply to natives and not tourists...unless you are blatantly flamboyant, in drag, or showing PDA.

Another boring 'article" from OutTraveler.
passioninlife77 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:47 pm
  #11  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ATL/TLV/SDF
Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Posts: 2,551
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I think that Georgia, USA (the state) should be in that list.

As thriving and large that the gay community might be in Atlanta, it is still kind of auto segregated. Same sex sexual relationships were legal in California in the 70s. In Georgia, 1998. They are 20 years behind. One of the handful of states where you can't marry yet and polls show that the percentage of people that support gay marriage is in the low 20%.

I go there for work. But never as a gay tourist.
Betch, please. ATL is the gay magnet for the entire southeast. Yeah yeah, Miami. Whatever. And I say this as a So Cal native.
born sleepy is online now  
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:47 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 18,306
Originally Posted by passioninlife77
OutTraveler routinely publishes idiotic lists. This is no different. Granted there are some places on the list that are not safe, but there are plenty of other countries that are more dangerous than Lithuania and Zimbabwe.
I do not think that the list is meant to be a compilation of the most dangerous places but rather of places that you might want to avoid for one reason or another including as a matter of principle rather than one of danger. Clearly, other choices of place could have been made but there is always an element of subjectivity there.

That said, I do not have much time for lists of any kind, which are a cheap and lazy way to fill space where you are short of quality journalism.
NickB is offline  
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,591
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Betch, please. ATL is the gay magnet for the entire southeast. Yeah yeah, Miami. Whatever. And I say this as a So Cal native.
Coming from someone that LIVES in ATL, I am sure you are not biased
carlosdca is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Left Corner of the Map
Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 2,203
Originally Posted by NickB
That said, I do not have much time for lists of any kind, which are a cheap and lazy way to fill space where you are short of quality journalism.
Shocking. Yes, SHOCKING! OUT short of quality journalism?!? Oh, Mary, say it isn't so!
98103 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:16 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 18,306
Originally Posted by 98103
Shocking. Yes, SHOCKING! OUT short of quality journalism?!? Oh, Mary, say it isn't so!
NickB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.