Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Hong Kong

What are the current hot spots for the guppie crowd?

Anything special on this night of the week or that?

What's the nightclub scene if one wanted, say, a dance party with circuit music?

Anything else worth knowing about the G scene these days?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
One of the main gay areas for bars and clubs is around SoHo. Propaganda is one of the bigger (if not the biggest) gay clubs. Psychic Jack is a really cool bar for earlier in the evening.

If you are there July/August/September, the W Hotel over in West Kowloon hosts a monthly rooftop pool party under the name 'Wet: Summer Series'. Very trendy and LGBT friendly - there was a very mixed crowd when I was there.

Not a gay bar, but I can't recommend enough to go for a drink at Aqua in Kowloon. It is one of my favourite bars in the world (tied with New Asia Bar in Singapore) that has an amazing view over the Hong Kong island skyline. Great place to watch the nightly light show from!

I visited HK in July 2012, so things may have changed possibly.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by perthflyer
One of the main gay areas for bars and clubs is around SoHo. Propaganda is one of the bigger (if not the biggest) gay clubs. Psychic Jack is a really cool bar for earlier in the evening.
Psychic Jack's was one of the only gay bars in SoHo, and it closed in 2013. Propaganda is the only gay club in town and is usually open only on Fridays and Saturdays.

There isn't much choice in HK's gay scene, so it's the usual bars: Volume Beat and Zoo on Jervois Street in Sheung Wan, right by the Mercer Hotel. They're usually crowded on the weekends, with crowds spilling onto the streets. Linq, in LKF, is / was a straight bar, but now has a mostly gay clientele.

Wednesday (or Wednesgay, if you will) is vodka night. There used to be three bars offering free vodka (Volume Beat, Linq, and Play) however Volume Beat stopped several months ago (replacing it with a karaoke night, hosted by a drag queen). Linq still does free vodka Wed., and is usually quite busy - I believe this runs from 10 to 11. I'm not sure if Play still offers free vodka on Wed. (Play is a straight club that offered free vodka on Wednesdays as a gay night).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Not a gay bar, but I can't recommend enough to go for a drink at Aqua in Kowloon. It is one of my favourite bars in the world (tied with New Asia Bar in Singapore) that has an amazing view over the Hong Kong island skyline. Great place to watch the nightly light show from!
Had dinner at Aqua, was a lovely spot.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Good info, guys. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:30 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Thanks for the info... my partner and I will be there next month as part of our Anniversary trip.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Thanks for the info... my partner and I will be there next month as part of our Anniversary trip.
Aqua have small booths right against the windows overlooking HK island (the venue is on the 28th floor). The restaurant has an Italian and a Japanese kitchen (you can order off of either including mixing between the two) and the food is sensational. I'd definitely recommend it for a dinner date!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Aqua have small booths right against the windows overlooking HK island (the venue is on the 28th floor). The restaurant has an Italian and a Japanese kitchen (you can order off of either including mixing between the two) and the food is sensational. I'd definitely recommend it for a dinner date!
The booths are very nice. We did a tasting menu which the portions were much bigger than I expected...it is a lot of food.
...followed by making out in the elevator, half of the taxi ride to Central since we missed the last boat and then for a minute in front of the Mandarin Landmark. ^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
HI all...Any updated information about Gay HKG.. Will be going in April

Thanks
Flyiboy (David)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
HI all...Any updated information about Gay HKG.. Will be going in April

Thanks
Flyiboy (David)
Everything I know I got from the web, and my visit in December; I only went to bars on the Kowloon side. I'll be back in April and will hopefully have more to report then, but I'm more of a leather/bear guy than a guppie.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Just came back from HKG this week. Was largely on Kowloon, but did some time on HK Island. I wasn't specifically looking for gay bars, but saw a couple. Quite honestly very open and all the bars we went to were fun. If you're looking for a specific type of bar I don't have any advice. If you just want to make sure you are ok wherever you go - I had zero problems and was there for 1 week solid.

Very much enjoyed Aqua (bar and restaurant - different floors) and it was a very trendy, but still casual place. The views (assuming it isn't foggy) from there are truly fantastic!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Thanks everyone...More research for me..
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
In Hong Kong Island, most of the scene moved over to the Wan Chai area - including Volume Beat. Tuesdays are great as you can go around four bars for Happy Hours.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Also FYI, Grindr is widely used there for socializing as much as hooking up. We met some really friendly, fun locals that way. I heartily recommend it if you're feeling social.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Scott218
In Hong Kong Island, most of the scene moved over to the Wan Chai area - including Volume Beat. Tuesdays are great as you can go around four bars for Happy Hours.
^ Thanks for that info - I'll have to check that area out when I go to HK in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.