Search

Singapore hotel check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
Singapore hotel check-in?

Hi y'all,

We're heading to Singapore in a few days. I've only seen one mention here in the GLBT forum about Simgapore. Has anyone had any problems with hotel check-ins there? We're staying at the Conrad, so I'm not too worried, but I have requested king bed, which is different that what we've done in other gay hating countries (e.g. UAE) where I typically get two twins or two queens.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ILikeComfort
Hi y'all,

We're heading to Singapore in a few days. I've only seen one mention here in the GLBT forum about Simgapore. Has anyone had any problems with hotel check-ins there? We're staying at the Conrad, so I'm not too worried, but I have requested king bed, which is different that what we've done in other gay hating countries (e.g. UAE) where I typically get two twins or two queens.
I wasn't aware that Singapore was particularly "gay-hating." I've been several times and gone out to gay bars there; never felt that the people of Singapore were homophobic. I've checked in to hotels with my partner with one bed before and never thought twice about it. I probably wouldn't so that in some countries, but I didn't feel it was a problem in Singapore.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:55 pm

No problems whatsoever. I've had straight friends getting into trouble because of too much pda though, so anyone should keep things PG13.

Section 377A is about to be repealed (if it hasn't already?), and the main reason for the delay is politics about which court case to use, so I would not call Singapore gay hating, although there is room for improvements.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
The odds you get a gay check-in agent who flirts with you is probably higher in Singapore than in the US or Europe.
It has to be one of the cruisiest cities in the world, though of course this is because it's a bit conservative. That said, just walk down Orchard Road or around Chinatown and you can't swing a cat without hitting some tank-topped, short-shorted muscle boys.
Just enjoy and don't worry!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
Awesome. thanks everyone! At BKK now waiting for flight. Indeed, "gay hating" might be a little strong, especially in comparison to a few other paradise destinations I've traveled to this year (e.g. Riyadh sans partner). Looking forward to being in SIN. It's been about 23 years since I was there last! Omg time flies.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
No issues at all with good hotels and the not so good ones prob do not notice or care anyway.

We always get a King Bed at the Intercont and often get a great upgrade etc.

Very obvious we are a couple when we check in
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 M&B Gold, QR Silver, Flying Blue Ivory, VS Red
You'll be totally fine! I held hands with my partner when we were walking around the city center last year (wasn't trying to make a statement). Of course a good number of people did a double take, but we didn't encounter any hostility.

You'd be surprised at the PDA straight couples in Singapore display! The girls seem to need to rely on their boyfriends to stand up straight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.