Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlantis Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rrgg
I’m not sure why you’re referring to “3 deaths.” If it’s because you read some of the reports that there were 4 that is not true. I was on the ship (and sober incidentally). The so called news agencies that reported those rumors should be ashamed. Imagine the families at home who read that and worried about their loved ones. I was pretty angry when I saw that in the news.
Imagine if there were multiple overdoses on a cruise and news media didn't report it, and that cruise kept running year after year. That would make me pretty angry.

My loved ones worry about me when I go bungee jumping; hard for me to empathize that people worried when they heard there were deaths.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:48 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:37 pm

I think you misunderstood or I didn’t explain myself. I’m referring to news agenies that reported rumors of 4 deaths. If they can’t confirm that they shouldn’t report it. Of course reporting actual incidents is appropriate.
The only stories I saw made clear it was unconfirmed. And the fact that it was just multiple people rushed to the hospital for drug related issues suggests maybe Atlantis bears the blame, not media.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The only stories I saw made clear it was unconfirmed. And the fact that it was just multiple people rushed to the hospital for drug related issues suggests maybe Atlantis bears the blame, not media.
Why would you blame Atlantis of anything?
What were they supposed to do to avoid this?

The responsibility lies on the person who overdosed himself out of irresponsibility, ignorance, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Why would you blame Atlantis of anything?
What were they supposed to do to avoid this?

The responsibility lies on the person who overdosed himself out of irresponsibility, ignorance, etc.
Sometimes there can be more than one responsible party. Atlantis cruises have been known as havens for drug use for years. If Atlantis wanted to change that, it could. Instead, it relies on that to motivate many of its guests.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:24 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA
Here's my view. I've been on Atlantis Cruises (3 cruises and 1 land event). First of all, they're fun, if formulaic and expensive. I don't go on them anymore for a variety of reasons, but the heavy drug use was one of the reasons. Regarding the drugs. It depends on the particular event but there were a LOT of drugs on the cruises I took out of Southern California. Much more so than at an Gay nightclub. I never went on the one out of Fort Lauderdale (mainly because that cruise has a reputation as being super druggy - that was the cruise where the OD death (perhaps deaths) happened last week. I simply don't find it credible that the operators aren't aware of it. On the cruise I took out of San Juan and the land event in Mexico, it wasn't so 'in your face'.

If you do want to do an Atlantis/RSVP event, here's how I'd review it.

1) If you want to be in a 7 day circuit party where you will likely see lots of narcotics, then the Fort Lauderdale and Southern California cruises are for you.
2) If not and you just want a beachy cruise where the drugs appeared to be relatively less of an issue, the San Juan, land based events, or tourism based cruises are better choices.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Jan 30, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Here's my view. I've been on Atlantis Cruises (3 cruises and 1 land event). First of all, they're fun, if formulaic and expensive. I don't go on them anymore for a variety of reasons, but the heavy drug use was one of the reasons. Regarding the drugs. It depends on the particular event but there were a LOT of drugs on the cruises I took out of Southern California. Much more so than at an Gay nightclub. I never went on the one out of Fort Lauderdale (mainly because that cruise has a reputation as being super druggy - that was the cruise where the OD death (perhaps deaths) happened last week. I simply don't find it credible that the operators aren't aware of it. On the cruise I took out of San Juan and the land event in Mexico, it wasn't so 'in your face'.

If you do want to do an Atlantis/RSVP event, here's how I'd review it.

1) If you want to be in a 7 day circuit party where you will likely see lots of narcotics, then the Fort Lauderdale and Southern California cruises are for you.
2) If not and you just want a beachy cruise where the drugs appeared to be relatively less of an issue, the San Juan, land based events, or tourism based cruises are better choices.
I think that’s a good assessment. The last time I did this cruise was on a smaller ship several years ago and in retrospect it seems very innocent now. On this month’s cruise I was a little surprised at the openness and increase in drug use and other antics.

Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:01 pm

Who says it’s a fact that multiple people were rushed to the hospital for drug related issues? It sounds like that could be more of the media sensationalism I’m complaining about. Could be mistaken but I haven’t seen that reported.

There have been several reports. For example,

http://www.newnownext.com/another-passenger-on-gay-cruise-where-joel-taylor-died-reportedly-rushed-to-hospital/01/2018/

Due to privacy laws, it's not like hospitals can release the records to confirm it. But if you want to blame the media, go ahead.

For another perspective: http://www.towleroad.com/2018/01/atlantis-cruises/

Look, if you want to have a great time sober on an Atlantis cruise, more power to you. But don't blame the media for making the cruises appear to center around drugs, sex, and parties. Atlantis has cultivated that image over the years, intentionally.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:20 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:36 pm

I already saw the Newnownext article. Did you read it?

Your claim that it's a fact that multiple people were rushed to the hospital for drug related reasons is not in the article. It says one person had pneumonia. Towleroad doesn't substantiate your statement either, and I feel you're just making assumptions.
Yes, I did read it. No, I'm not "making assumptions." Unfortunately, the medical conditions of individual Atlantis passengers doesn't lead itself to easily provable "facts" and hard-hitting investigative journalism.

The NNN article perhaps is not the most clearly written. I read the "passenger aboard the Atlantis cruise where Storm Chasers star Joel Taylor died was rushed to the hospital with what’s being called a 'chemical incident'" as unrelated to the pneumonia suffered by Mr. Caber, referred to later in the story with an "also" (PS- probably drug-related too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5353841/) . To me, one dead plus one person rushed to hospital with "chemical incident" = multiple overdoses. Again, there is no database you can check or public record. I think LGBT media has an obligation to report these stories based on credible information.

There's also this first-person account from someone on the ship. An ER Doctor and Passenger on Joel Taylor's Atlantis Cruise Sounds Off on Drug Use and Responsibility - Towleroad

I'm not spending any more time pulling every article on this. I don't understand why you're pushing back so hard on the notion that there's a lot of drug use on Atlantis cruises. No one said everyone is an addict on the cruise. The discussion of 3 deaths on the cruise seems to be someone misspeaking, because there have been three *confirmed, documented* substance-related deaths on Atlantis cruises in the past few years.

If your family knows you are sober, they have nothing to worry about when "the media" reports on an overdose on the next cruise.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:36 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Jan 27, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Sometimes there can be more than one responsible party. Atlantis cruises have been known as havens for drug use for years.
This statement is exaggerated and inaccurate.
Are there people that do drugs on the Atlantis cruises? Sure, on some of their itineraries.
But how do you qualify the cruises are "havens for drug users"? Atlantis does not particularly encourage or facilitate the use of drugs in anyway.

If Atlantis wanted to change that, it could.
Can you explain exactly how?
Back in my clubbing days, I remember certain events where I was thoroughly searched at the door and not even chewing gum or old trash in my pocket (old gas station receipts in my pocket f.e.) could make it through the door.
Nonetheless, people got away with bringing drugs in and whoever wanted to get high got high.

Instead, it relies on that to motivate many of its guests.
Again, how? Where does Atlantis say...hey come to our cruises, you will be able to overdose on G and nobody will know. Not even in any subliminal way do they imply that.
And it is not even something the actual patrons/cruisers will say or promote the cruises with by word of mouth.

I've been to 5 (if not 6) Atlantis cruises. And what my friends and I come home with is a great all-male vacation experience where most of the fun comes from socializing and meeting other men. This amidst either a sunny skies/party oriented vacation (Mexico/Caribbean) or a more calm destination oriented one (Europe/Asia cruises).
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Hi guys, I read on the Atlantis website that, if you are travelling as a "solo traveller", you can choose a shared cabin with someone (unknown) selected by Atlantis.
Did you ever try this kind of shared accomodation?
Any risks?
There is a nice cruise departing from Rome and I was thinking about that....
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Hi guys, I read on the Atlantis website that, if you are travelling as a "solo traveller", you can choose a shared cabin with someone (unknown) selected by Atlantis.
Did you ever try this kind of shared accomodation?
Any risks?
There is a nice cruise departing from Rome and I was thinking about that....
I know of people who have done that before. The last cruise I went on, our next door cabin was a shared cabin. They got along fine. They will put you together with someone. It can work out. But you might be with someone who is an early riser or someone who is a late night owl. You shouldn't assume that the match will be someone that your schedule meshes with. If you are prepared for that, then it might not be a problem.

But remember, there's a lot of tribalism on the cruises. Basically these events generally tend to have a lot of people travelling with a group of friends, who then hang out with each other pretty much all the time. That's not everyone and there are plenty of people who are more solos.

If you've never done an Atlantis cruise before, you probably can have a lot of fun. But the key is to manage expectations. I had fun on the cruises I went on.

The European cruises tend to be less druggy than the Ft Lauderdale cruises.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Feb 4, 2018 at 10:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.