Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Aussie fella..... Looking for hotels in Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

First visit for this gay Aussie fella to chicago!

Looking for hotels 4-5 hotels in great locations gay or gay friendly

Or any recommendations are welcome

Is there a central gay area, or is there a spread of the area?

Thanks everyone

Cheers Greg
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Boystown (aka Halstead) is in the Northern part of downtown - there is only one hotel in the area - City Suites.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by peteropny
Boystown (aka Halstead) is in the Northern part of downtown - there is only one hotel in the area - City Suites.
Not entirely true. There are quite a few hotels in Boyztown. There is a Best Western on Broadway, the Willows (formerly Surf Hotel), the City Suites on Belmont, Days Inn on Diversey.

All chains and budgets are available if you want to be in Chicago but not necessarily in the gay village.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I just completed a long weekend stay at the Days Inn on Diversey and it was great for Boystown. Transit to and from the hotel is very convenient and I found the staff to be helpful and gay-friendly. Just keep in mind that some of the rooms can be kind of smallish so it's well worth the extra to spring for a Queen or King.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Since boystown is a safe and easy 3 block walk from the Belmont station your choices should not be limited to hotels in that area. Much better hotels are a quick subway/train ride away. http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...aspx?StopId=25
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Location of boystown

Thanks for your help regarding info

Is boys town s long taxi ride from downtown chicago if i was to take one and stay downtown?

Regards

Greg
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
wellllll-expensive is relative. Count on $20-$30(only did this once). Makes the train ride a real bargain.
a little cheaper if you stay near the water tower.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
wellllll-expensive is relative. Count on $20-$30(only did this once). Makes the train ride a real bargain.
a little cheaper if you stay near the water tower.
Well I live in Boyztown and cab it from the loop and michigan avenue decidedly more frequently. It is between $10 and 15, with tip. The el is also convenient, but you don't want to be using it late at night. Take the el up during the day, enjoy the nightlife, and cab it back home. If you are going up to the bars in Andersonville (gay area #2), then you're looking at closer to $20. The el also drops you conveniently in the heart of it there. The gays love their public transit.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:42 pm

If you prefer a higher-end hotel, I recommend the Park Hyatt, located at Chicago and Michigan, from there you can take the El to Boystown and cab back.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't think any of the major chains are gay un-friendly, unless you plan on having sex in the lobby. It's not worth giving up the points (if that's important to you) in order to stay near Boystown.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've taken the El between Boystown, points north, and the south loop many times at all hours of the day and night with no problem.

Just use the simple precautions you'd use in any big city and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:31 pm

Agree about staying down town. They have a lot of great hotels in Chicago that are relatively less expensive than their counterparts in other big cities. I was there a couple of weeks ago (Stranded by Hurricane Irene on my way to NYC) From the airport I was able to use priceline to get a couple of really nice hotels downtown for $90 a night and it was pretty easy to get to Boystown on the train. Cabbed it back at the end of the evening. (By the way, I bumped into some other fellow FTers from this forum and we had a quick impromptu Chicago Gayla!) Also, there is a lot if great stuff to see downtown that is walkable from the hotels.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat, Marriott Plat
I agree that you should not limit yourself to Boystown since it's a pretty easy ride from the Magnificent Mile area up there. I live in Bucktown and my cab is about 12 bucks so you shouldn't pay more than 15 to get back from there. The el is pretty safe during the day but I wouldn't take it late at night since there are some homeless that congregate around the stations especially in the Mag mile area.

I have enjoyed staying at the Westin and W Hotels (before I moved here). If you head down to the loop area you may feel too removed though. There is one new gay bar in the Magnificent Mile area called Downtown and I have heard good things about it. I suggest you explore both the Boystown and Andersonville areas since they each have their own character.

As for food though I suggest the Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village area since it's known for having good restaurants. PM me if you need more info on this.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
This is, unfortunately, always the gay traveler's dilemma in Chicago...

There are a lot of good tips here. Chicago certainly has no lack of good hotels in the Loop and you do have a few close options of mediocre hotels near Boystown, as pointed out.

I think it depends on what your plans are for your trip. If you were going for Pride or Market Days (which, I assume you are not, since they have already passed this year), of if you are the type that sees yourself bumming around the gayborhood all day and night on fri/sat/sun, then I would always stay in Boystown.

If you're planning on being a Chicago tourist, however, and only planning to go out to Boystown a couple of nights during your trip, then stay downtown. As noted, city hotels in Chicago typically run cheaper than their equivalent counterparts in, say, LA or NYC (I prefer The James myself).

One other hotel near Boystown, which you might wish to considered is The Majestic. Mediocre, but good location.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:00 pm

Hotel Majestic in Boystown is right on the lake and is about 5-min walk to the gay life on Broadway and 7-min walk to the gay life on Halsted.

Hotel Hawthorne Terrace is right on Broadway, just feet away from the gay life, and a 2-min walk to Halsted Street.

Hawthorne Terrace has a newer-built addition, with great decor and little kitchenettes in each room.

Enjoy Boystown. It is so much fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.