Search

Barcelona Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Barcelona Hotels

Hello,

I need to go to barcelona for work and am looking for a good hotel that's also near the gay bars/etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by catwood
Hello,

I need to go to barcelona for work and am looking for a good hotel that's also near the gay bars/etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris
The two hotels I have stayed at where the Hotel Colon and the Axek.

I loved the Axel and really liked the sky bar. It's a gay hotel with a bar. If you look on the RSVP thread someone from BCN said there are other hotels that are in the gay area that are full of gays that are a lot cheaper, so you may want to send him a PM since he would be more familiar with the area. It's been a few years since I have been there, so it's possible they raised their rates since then or we lucked out and got a good rate.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Colon and liked it there. While it's not gay, it's next to the cathedrial.

A gay restaraunt we ate at in Barcelona that I liked was the castro. We ended up chatting with 2guys that got seated at the table next to us, as we were near the end of our dinner and they struck up a conversation and we ended up staying around and chatting with them and when they finished their dinner they showed us some of the gay bars.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I had a good experience with the H10 Universitat.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The Axel is indeed right in the thick of things, its roof top bar and pool can be fun. The rooms are basic in a minimalist sort of way (toiletries include lube and condoms, watch out for the "please disturb" sign for your door knob ). Service is hit and miss and probably akin to a 3* hotel. They charge a huge premium for being a "hip" gay hotel. While I definitely had fun there I am not sure it is worth the money in high season. If you decide to book it go for the deluxe room or suite, as standard rooms are tiny and have no views.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Isnt the gay area in Eixample?? There are tons of hotels in this neighbourhood, but I would stick with H10's or AC hotels which now belong to Marriott. We will be staying at the H10 Ithaca, not close to the gay area but got a good rate of CAD$125 per night.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
paging dragonfirebcn (if he's still a member)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
paging dragonfirebcn (if he's still a member)
I'm still a member. My expiration date is July 11th

Axel is totally overpriced. I've posted this in every other Barcelona gay hotel thread there is. Not worth it to pay 100€ more for condoms and lube (you get them for free at bars and clubs), and the 'please disturb' door hanger (it's not that difficult to get action in this city, is it?). If you're willing to pay Axel prices for a gay hotel, stay in the W.

H10 Universitat is a nice hotel, half the price of the Axel and with an amazing location close to the gay district. Also, there's a lot of very nice gay Bed & Breakfast in the area in the H10 Universitat price range (check any BCN gay guide for names).
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
I'm still a member. My expiration date is July 11th

Axel is totally overpriced. I've posted this in every other Barcelona gay hotel thread there is. Not worth it to pay 100€ more for condoms and lube (you get them for free at bars and clubs), and the 'please disturb' door hanger (it's not that difficult to get action in this city, is it?). If you're willing to pay Axel prices for a gay hotel, stay in the W.

H10 Universitat is a nice hotel, half the price of the Axel and with an amazing location close to the gay district. Also, there's a lot of very nice gay Bed & Breakfast in the area in the H10 Universitat price range (check any BCN gay guide for names).
Being from Barcelona would you recomend staying at Passeig del Taulat upon arrival if I do the RSVP cruise next month? Seeing the cruise doesn't leave until 5 and I can land early that morning I was going to just fly in the morning and then get a hotel on the final day and fly out the next morning.

I really want a place to just relax at and don't care about sightseeing in BCN or going out since I have been to BCN in the past, just relaxing on the beach or at the pool sounds great and it appears that they have a lounge which I would have access to.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Being from Barcelona would you recomend staying at Passeig del Taulat upon arrival if I do the RSVP cruise next month? Seeing the cruise doesn't leave until 5 and I can land early that morning I was going to just fly in the morning and then get a hotel on the final day and fly out the next morning.

I really want a place to just relax at and don't care about sightseeing in BCN or going out since I have been to BCN in the past, just relaxing on the beach or at the pool sounds great and it appears that they have a lounge which I would have access to.
Are you talking about the Hilton?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
Are you talking about the Hilton?
Sorry, yes was talking about the Hilton property.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Sorry, yes was talking about the Hilton property.
The hotel is OK. Drinks at the lobby bar are overpriced for what it is, and it is far from everything. Never been to the pool. The beaches around the hotel are not so nice, but you can take a bus and be in less than 10 minutes @ Marbella beach, which is fun.

So, if you don't plan to go out of the hotel (tops going to the beach) and don't mind paying extra for the taxis, and you're getting it on points, go for it. If you're paying for that room, there's better options for that price.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I've been to Barcelona many times and have almost always stayed on or near Las Ramblas... I love the energy and it's just a short walk to the Eixample, particularly if you are at the Plaza Catalunya end.

A couple of years ago I spent three nights at Hotel 1898, which is located on Las Ramblas in the old headquarters of the Fillipino Tobacco Co. which is a magnificent building. It's got a great spa area and rooftop pool and bar.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Dragonfire recently recommended the Barcelo Raval and I had a great stay and it was within walking distance of the gay bars. Highly recommend- like a W with a great panoramic rooftop bar.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
BCN is one of those places where I liked being somewhere just enough out of the way to be quiet at night (having just spent four days in a Reykjavik hotel needing earplugs to drown out the partying on the street.) I stayed at the U232 Hotel in Eixample and it was a handsome place at a great value. The Tripadvisor reviews convinced me to try it and they were right. It's about 10-15 minute walk to Passeig de Gracia, and 30-40 to the tick of Las Ramblas, or a fast and inexpensive subway ride.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Dragonfire recently recommended the Barcelo Raval and I had a great stay and it was within walking distance of the gay bars. Highly recommend- like a W with a great panoramic rooftop bar.
It's a really cool hotel, but I'd be a little nervous coming home late. The hookers line the street around the corner and there are lots of shifty looking guys hanging out around there. It's maybe a half a step too edgy for me at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.