Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Friendly Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Gay Friendly Airlines

I just thought this was an interesting survey:

Top gay-friendly US airlines of 2011

I'm glad UA made the list.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Sorry but that seems a little pointless to have a list of gay-friendly US Airlines. That's like making a list of gay-friendly fashion schools.

A list of gay-friendly non-US airlines would be more interesting.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I also think the list is a little funny as it pretty much lists most of the major US airlines... Really, what airlines weren't mentioned? FL, F9?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There was a Wall Street Journal article a couple years back about Eithad and the report made it clear that "overt" gay FAs were not hired. In fact, Eithad really wanted mostly women FAs and the 1970s female sexual suggestion thing. I'd consider that a non gay friendly. Since I have no desire or intention of going to the Middle East other than Israel, I don't think I have a worry about flying this airline.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There was a Wall Street Journal article a couple years back about Eithad and the report made it clear that "overt" gay FAs were not hired. In fact, Eithad really wanted mostly women FAs and the 1970s female sexual suggestion thing. I'd consider that a non gay friendly. Since I have no desire or intention of going to the Middle East other than Israel, I don't think I have a worry about flying this airline.
I read a similar article about Emirates several months ago. But, of course, when you get to Dubai, the few unofficial "gay nights" are mostly filled with EK cabin crew.

I think there's several ways to look at airlines being "Gay Friendly": hiring practices, diversity training, general attitude towards same sex couples on-board and in lounges, etc.

What I can say about Continental is that they have never given me any trouble about clarifying what "partner" means for things like my partner's complimentary companion lifetime status, lifetime Presidents Club access, etc. I think part of it is that they just don't care (if you've earned the benefit, give it to whomever you want), and the other part is that they don't want to stir up trouble.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:52 pm

The list is lame and boring.

If I may add the author clearly has a bias towards AA, right down to picking the pic to feature prominently in the article.

What I would have liked to see is a list of Gay friendly international airlines, in my experience all the top skytrax carriers are all gay friendly, right down to being super accommodating to just about anything I asked (within reason)

It would have been interesting if Saudia made the list....
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I just want a friendly airline, gay or straight or whatever.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I find the list disturbing... as I have heard many reports that FAs will ask two men to stop holding hands or being affectionate when seated together cos that might offend other passengers.

So as long as a gay couple spend their money on the planes, that's ok. But if we want to show affection, we have to stop?

What sort of 'gay friendly' is that?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I find the list disturbing... as I have heard many reports that FAs will ask two men to stop holding hands or being affectionate when seated together cos that might offend other passengers....
On what airline has this ever happened? In the USA? My response to such a request would be to buzz off, along with a F-U directed at whichever 'other passengers' were offended.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by bocastephen
On what airline has this ever happened?
A well publicized incident from 2006: Air Kiss
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I find the list disturbing... as I have heard many reports that FAs will ask two men to stop holding hands or being affectionate when seated together cos that might offend other passengers.

So as long as a gay couple spend their money on the planes, that's ok. But if we want to show affection, we have to stop?

What sort of 'gay friendly' is that?
In india, pakistan, arab country, guys always holding hand even not gay. How FA respond to that?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
So, I learned that every US airline is perfect when it comes to GLBT issues and that Northwest is a Delta subsidiary (definitely news to me).
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DLNYC
So, I learned that every US airline is perfect when it comes to GLBT issues and that Northwest is a Delta subsidiary (definitely news to me).
Lol. Rubbish journalism in all regards.

Everyone knows Qantas is as pink as it gets
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travel69
In india, pakistan, arab country, guys always holding hand even not gay. How FA respond to that?
They usually tell the hand holding passengers to carry on but please no mouth to mouth kissing.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Its a shame if EY is truly doing this. I came across many gay FA's on EY, EK and QR. Overally they are great airlines i would highly recommend trying it out and visiting the middle east!

Last edited by coiaflyer; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.