Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

After six months of travelling, homophobia finally rears its ugly head

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After six months of travelling, homophobia finally rears its ugly head

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by hsmall
it certainly isn't Muslim parliamentarians, for example, who are standing out in the legislature against gay marriage, gay adoption, and the equality laws.
Actually, in the case of the (failed) campaign for now Lady Syeeda Warsi, Deupty Chairwoman of the Conservative Party, it effectively is:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...conservatives1

in her leaflet Mrs Warsi, the Conservatives' first female Muslim candidate, says: "Labour has scrapped section 28 which was introduced by the Conservatives to stop schools promoting alternative sexual lifestyles such as homosexuality to children as young as seven years old... now schools are allowed and do promote homosexuality and other alternative sexual lifestyles to your children.

"Labour reduced the age of consent for homosexuality from 18 to 16 allowing school children to be propositioned for homosexual relationships."

Later in her leaflet Mrs Warsi is quoted saying: "I will campaign strongly for an end to sex education at seven years and the promotion of homosexuality that undermines family life."
So let's not demonise Islam when we have plenty of native bigotry.
I agree that no one religion over any other should be demonised.

Do we not need to help equally the native born and the (very welcome) incomers to get over those parts of their culture which are inimical to our country's values?
One group has made the active choice to come to the society whilst the other has not. Surely it is not too much to ask that the group who is willingly here adapt to the norms already present, instead of depending on the resources of the host country to educate them.
Old May 11, 2011, 3:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Gentle reminder here - this thread has gone way off topic and into the realm of OMNI PR - while we are a bit looser in terms of on topic threads than the core miles & points forum, this is pushing it. Please try to steer the thread back to the topic at hand. Thank you!!!!

peteropny - co-mod - GLBT
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:24 am

I think the reference may be to this - a report of stickers being found in an area of London where there is a large and highly ill-educated and impoverished population of (as I understand it) people from the Indian sub-continent, not Arabs. I do not think there are any no-go areas in London for gays.

Britain is by no means perfect but the levels of acceptance of gay people and life, and the legal protection afforded to us, are very high.
A man has been fined £100 for public order offences in connection with the posting of anti-gay stickers in East London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13620882
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: having fun
very sad
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Cann75inNJ
very sad
My first reaction was, sad that the fine was so low. But the giy has no job and no income and was clearly a tool of someone else. He is apparently also facing charges of painting over some bare female flesh on a lingerie advert
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:13 am

My first reaction was, sad that the fine was so low. But the giy has no job and no income and was clearly a tool of someone else.
I think the fine is perfect. Anything larger and he would have been viewed by some a martyr of some sort (plus he's not the real problem).

He is apparently also facing charges of painting over some bare female flesh on a lingerie advert
What a miserable life he must lead, being forced to witness the actions of heathens everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.