Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

HNL restaurant for 40th B Day celebration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold

I will be celebrating my 40th birtday in HNL with about ten friends (80% of whom are gay) in 5 weeks. I would like to have a nice dinner at a Waikiki restaurant with a nice oceanview and a good atmosphere. Does anyone have some good recommendations? I am interested in restaurants that serve entrees in the $20 to 40 price range.

A good friend suggested the Orchid restaurant at the Halekulani, but for a group of ten people, they will only let me do a set dinner menu, which did not look all that great.

Thank you very much for everyone's input!
Old May 18, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I've celebrated a couple of birthdays at the New Otani Hotel restaurant. The view is great, food is good, and the service is relaxing but attentive.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
thank you for the recommendation - I will have to check it out!
Old May 19, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by UAaddict
I will be celebrating my 40th birtday in HNL with about ten friends (80% of whom are gay) in 5 weeks. I would like to have a nice dinner at a Waikiki restaurant with a nice oceanview and a good atmosphere. Does anyone have some good recommendations? I am interested in restaurants that serve entrees in the $20 to 40 price range.

A good friend suggested the Orchid restaurant at the Halekulani, but for a group of ten people, they will only let me do a set dinner menu, which did not look all that great.

Thank you very much for everyone's input!
Roy's (two locations)
Allan Wong's
are both excellent. . . but not great ocean views.

Orchids is fab. . . but remember that the Halekulani and Orchids has a dress code in the evening. Long pants, shoes, collared shirts and jackets encouraged for men.

Less formal and expensive with great ocean/sunset views -- Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki or Tiki's Grill - second floor at the Resort Quest.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by UAaddict
thank you for the recommendation - I will have to check it out!
If you book there, make sure you get there to watch the sunset!
Old May 20, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
How about Ocean House at the Outrigger Reef?
Old May 20, 2010, 10:23 pm

What do folks think about Michel's? I went a long time ago and remember it as being good, but I don't remember anything specific. It's been around forever and is somewhat old-fashioned. Views are quite nice.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:41 am

Being a Dallas native I have a fondness for Neiman Marcus' Zodiac room. They are great for Birthdays, showers etc. HNL Zodiac has a harbor view. And its alway fun to dine with "The Ladies who Lunch"
Old May 22, 2010, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
Roy's (two locations)
Allan Wong's
are both excellent. . . but not great ocean views.

Orchids is fab. . . but remember that the Halekulani and Orchids has a dress code in the evening. Long pants, shoes, collared shirts and jackets encouraged for men.

Less formal and expensive with great ocean/sunset views -- Duke's at the Outrigger Waikiki or Tiki's Grill - second floor at the Resort Quest.
+1

All of these are excellent suggestions! Personally, I would dress up a bit and go to Orchids. You will definitely enjoy it and be impressed by the excellent food, service, and view.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
I suggest Michel's at the Colony Surf, my favorite. They do suggest making an event reservation for parties of 10 or more, but they do have 5 different menus for group functions. It is a memorable place, very lovely, and has been a ClipperJon fave since my teens (I am 50 now).

http://michelshawaii.com/en/private-parties.html

Last edited by ClipperJon; May 26, 2010 at 10:57 am Reason: Better information.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
+1 regarding Michel's....years ago, Michel's accommodated a group of us (must've been 10+, with about 6-8 of us staying at several Colony Surf condos above the restaurant). It's one of my favorite French restaurants on Oahu.

I would make a reservation just before sunset; and after dinner, a leisurely stroll to Hula's.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Would highly recommend Roy's Hawaiian Fusion restaurant. Unbeatable service with delicious food. Maybe a little pricey, but well worth the surcharge for a special occasion. Location: 226 Lewers Street (next to Embassy Suites hotel) - see roysrestaurant.com

Last edited by maltasr; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:48 am Reason: Added address
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PLT, AA Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton DIA, Avis First
Originally Posted by maltasr
Would highly recommend Roy's Hawaiian Fusion restaurant. Unbeatable service with delicious food. Maybe a little pricey, but well worth the surcharge for a special occasion. Location: 226 Lewers Street (next to Embassy Suites hotel) - see roysrestaurant.com
+1

Just from HNL, and had dinner there. It was awesome, good food, great wine list, and great service. I would highly recommend it.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
There is not a great ocean view, but you have to consider Chai's Island Bistro, truly fantastic food! Also, if you are eating weekdays, go to their website and print out a $25 off coupon. Even without the coupon, the food is moderately priced, not too expensive, and I can't think of anything on the menu which is not fantastic.

Also, for breakfast or lunch, how about The Hukilau Cafe? The food is great, and very inexpensively priced.

"Often mistaken for the fictional cafe in the movie, "50 First Dates," Hukilau Cafe is owned and operated by residents of Laie. This cute eatery is a great place to go for breakfast or lunch. Lots of people with big appetites order the Hungry Hawaiian breakfast or the sweet bread French toast. Sit down or take a local-style plate lunch to go and picnic across the street at Hukilau Beach"
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No ocean view, but I second the call for Alan Wong...

Or - how about something totally out of the box....

Charter one of the sailboats or smaller power yachts for a sunset cruise and arrange for onboard catering. You can anchor off Waikiki beach and have the space and the sunset all to yourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.