Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Airlines Marketing to Gay & Lesbian Travelers to Fly . . . J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines Marketing to Gay & Lesbian Travelers to Fly . . . J?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Talking Airlines Marketing to Gay & Lesbian Travelers to Fly . . . J?

After reading a bunch of posts on FT, it looks like there are several gay and lesbian couples flying in paid J while vacationing. My colleague and his partner have a strict policy of only flying business class, even if they have to pay for it with cash.

I've read years ago that businesses were starting to specifically market to gay and lesbian couples as many of them are "DINKS" = Double Income No Children, as in they have a lot of disposable income!

Wondering if any airlines have tried to actively market their business class services to them for vacation purposes.

- Pat

Last edited by Wiirachay; Dec 18, 2009 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I don't know about airlines, but near where I am, Whistler Resort has done a very good job of successfully marketing to the gay and lesbian segment. The perceived Canadian tolerance to 'alternate' lifestyles probably doesn't hurt either...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
After reading a bunch of posts on FT, it looks like there are several gay and lesbian couples flying in paid J while vacationing. My colleague and his partner have a strict policy of only flying business class, even if they have to pay for it with cash.

I've read years ago that businesses were starting to specifically market to gay and lesbian couples as many of them are "DINKS" = Double Income No Children, as in they have a lot of disposable income!

Wondering if any airlines have tried to actively market their business class services to them for vacation purposes.

- Pat
I am not gay, but I AM a "DINK". Not having kids is GREAT for disposable income, and not having kids makes me less tolerant of the screaming kids that are usually.but not always..in steerage.

The differance between me and a gay couple is that marketers can be pretty sure the gay couple has no kids and yes, their dollars are aggressively sought by hotels, cruise lines, realtors etc. It's not surprise that airlines are now following that market.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Makes sense. I have not paid for an airline seat in many years, but if I had to, the only seat I would buy is F or J. While I'm without partner at the moment, (OK, for the last 4 years ) my friends and their partners who do travel and pay for it only book front cabins.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:53 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This topic would seem ideal for our GLBT Travelers forum. Please follow it as it moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:46 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We (well especially me) won't do International in Y - transatlantic we're usually in J (using upgrades or awards) - transpacific (usually just me to BKK) is usually in award F (SQ using DL miles but that's coming to an end )
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I have to say I make a very good salary and am single. I led a life that most gay men around me envy. But in no way can I, or do I, lead the life that the magazine ads would like us to believe that we are or should be leading.

If I am flying International J its either on a SWU or a business class award tix. I know of very few men (and to a certain extent its due to living in Manhattan) that can pay out several thousand $$s for a flight. In fact, many of my high flying friends have been forced to take lower paying jobs or have bonus pay severly cut and are financially pressured now by that $5,000 mortgage they have on the overpriced high rise co-op.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I have to say I make a very good salary and am single. I led a life that most gay men around me envy. But in no way can I, or do I, lead the life that the magazine ads would like us to believe that we are or should be leading.
+1 ^
I don't lead anything close to the magazine and brochure at lifestyles. I don't have a partner, nor do I have a six pack or a cleanshaven face.
I do well enought, and my colleagues at work both gay and straight, childed and childless have some degree of envy of my ability to do 2 2-week vacations per year. However, I won't pay for business class or first class. I will gladly fly Y internationally...whether that is transborder, transpacific or transatlantic. My one international trip in J was on an award ticket to HKG. I loved it, but I don't need it. I would rather it be an occasional treat than have it be something I've come to expect. I think my willingness to fly Y is why I can afford 2 long vacations, rather than just one.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
My partner and I (18 years in July) have a rule:

If its around the 4 hour mark- its J or nothing.

Based in SYD - we will do NZ in Y, BNE or MEL ADL in Y, we can stretch to PER in Y for a really good fare - last time we went it was $119 each way, but its only doable if we get the middle seat free. Our domestic travel is all on Virgin Blue.

Anything longer - its J.

How do we do this. We shop around for good fares - we have used Garuda for years for Bali - and find they are great.

Anywhere else we shop for great fares - or use points.

Comfort is important to us.

We find on our commute to our beach house in Bali - that our vacation starts when we get to the airport, rather than when we get there.

All those priority lines - and the lounge - even if the QF J lounge in SYD is a bit limiting.

Equally we pay for concierge at DPS so we don't have to stand in lines to be processed.

We do this by budgetiing - and I have had lot of overtime at work. This is changing - and we are now looking at other ways to increase our income so we can have some luxuries along the way.

Adam
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
And why are there always three guys on many Atlantis/B&B/other advertising.

My partner and I usually travel J, unless it's a $270 deal to Europe or similar. It's a mixture of points and paid, depending on the trip. Hotels are generally 4/5 star too, or gay-owned B&B's etc.

Last edited by seanp7; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pinworm
I am not gay, but I AM a "DINK". Not having kids is GREAT for disposable income
I would argue that the travel industry would love to market directly to DINKs, but there's no way to easily reach them, unlike, for example the gay community or the retiree community.

Unlike the other groups mentioned, there's no DINK magazines, DINK organizations (that I'm aware of) etc. So they need to do things like market to people with BMWs, people with Amex Platinum cards etc, which is much more hit-and-miss.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by gglave
Unlike the other groups mentioned, there's no DINK magazines, DINK organizations (that I'm aware of) etc. So they need to do things like market to people with BMWs, people with Amex Platinum cards etc, which is much more hit-and-miss.
I would bet that credit card companies can tell pretty well who is a DINK. Amex for example carves up their cardholders into about 30 different demographic groups. They might not know if you're in a relationship, but they know you go to the liquor store a lot, buy plane tickets, and don't shop at Baby Gap. If you're in zip code 10011 you'll definitely see advertising targeted to you.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:47 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by pinworm
The differance between me and a gay couple is that marketers can be pretty sure the gay couple has no kids and yes, their dollars are aggressively sought by hotels, cruise lines, realtors etc.
That's quite an assumption these days.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
That's quite an assumption these days.
I was about to say exactly the same thing.

I find the obsessiveness that some flyers have with class, in several senses of the word, to be somewhat comical. I've flown to Bejing, Johannesburg, Rio and Sydney, among other destinations, all in coach. I survived, in a few cases having an entire row to myself.

I'm fortunate to have the means to sit wherever I want, but I'm simply too cheap to pay a huge differential for a minimal increase in comfort and service. If being fawned over for a couple of hours makes you feel better, go for it. I'd rather spend my travel dollars on experiences and amenities once I'm on the ground.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
We should also remember that we might not have kids but we do have other things to spend on. Gym memberships ($100+ per month), more going and eating out, more parties to attend (bringing that required birthday/house warming gift along), usually more clothes, and often living in high tax areas. Butte Montana might have low taxes but not much of a gay scene.

The idea that we have unlimited funds is just marketing bs. Most of the Manhattan gay men that I know (particularly the younger guys like the ones always featured in the gay rags with their abs of steel) are lucky if they can afford to make it to Miami once a year. Flying to Rio or Sydney (forget business class just in coach) is a wet dream to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.