Wiki Posts
Search

1st time transiting FRA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
1st time transiting FRA

For the first time, I'm transiting Frankfurt airport, arriving on United from IAD and connecting to Rome on LH. We have a 3 hour layover, which I hope will provide a cushion, if necessary.

Being *Gold for the first time, I understand I have access to the Senator Lounges in FRA.

We're returning directly from CDG. I'm an RCC member and should be able to snag the "infamous" free drink chits at IAD and CDG, due also to *Gold status.

Any suggestions, tips, or other information I should know for the FRA layover?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: UA/MAR
Not really. The airport is a zoo and a maze, so carefully follow the signage. Definatley spend any extra time you have in the SEN lounge. Italy and Germany are both Schengen countries, so you should end up doing passport control in FRA. They don't assign actual gate numbers until ~45 minutes before flight departure, but the monitors will list what terminal and A, B, or C "zone" your flight will depart from. Head that way and there will be a SEN lounge in the area that you can stop off at.

I wouldn't recommend wandering too far from that area, by the time all is said and done, you will probably have ~1 hour of actual "down time" to relax... nothing is worse than realizing you have to go through security or passport control again because you wandered out of the secure area while shopping.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will go through Passport Control in Frankfurt, Customs in Rome.

Sometimes gate assignments are listed far in advance, sometimes not. Nine times out of ten, there is an LH representative right outside of the gate which you arrive. There's a very good chance he/she will have the gate information on that dot-matrix printout prior to it being posted on the screen.

I suggest asking that person what the gate is, then go to that gate to familiarize yourself with the location of the gate and how far away it is from the lounge.

Chances are you'll be going to the lounge next to A26, so it should be a reasonable walk to the gate.

Expect the lounge to be crowded, so don't expect a 100% relaxing time in there. When all is said and done, provided your flights are on-time, arriving and departing, you'll have about 75-90 minutes of actual time in the lounge.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
As a heads up, you're only entitled to drink chits at IAD when you are flying to Frankfurt. Not at CDG, not at IAD back from Paris.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:06 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
When you figure FRA out clue me in. I've transited through, or ended there, there a dozen times and the place still confuses me.

Just last week I transited through on LH flying LHR-FRA-IAD (always take the long way home if possible) and couldn't figure out why no one wanted to see my passport? Not at LHR. Not at FRA.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gre
When you figure FRA out clue me in. I've transited through, or ended there, there a dozen times and the place still confuses me.

Just last week I transited through on LH flying LHR-FRA-IAD (always take the long way home if possible) and couldn't figure out why no one wanted to see my passport? Not at LHR. Not at FRA.
Yes someone help me with FRA too. Every time I fly from Europe to FRA and then try to connect back to the USA. I see signs saying not to leave the area if you are flying back to the United State, but I swaer after the 1 mile walk following the signs I end up at the same place I could have been if I just walked out of security.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:23 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
yes, to echo the others above -- FRA can be confusing because every terminal looks the same, and I at least can never tell where I am just from looking at the surroundings.

The main thing to remember is that when you arrive in FRA you will have to pass through passport control, even though you stay in the airside of the airport, so factor in an extra 5 or so minutes for that line.

The other thing is, if your gate requires you to change terminals, and you find yourself at some point with the option to take the staircase or elevator, DON'T TAKE THE STAIRS! They go on forever -- like 8 levels before you reach the bottom! It's the most deceiving staircase I've ever seen, for being a major exit point to another terminal, the door looks like a janitor's closet. I thought, oh, this must be some door to a shuttle bus, since it looks like that. No, it's like if they had a single door, to the ORD midfield concourse underground walkway. Save yourself annoyance and wait for the elevator...

Otherwise, it is straightforward at least, just follow the signs. And enjoy the Sen lounge.

Last edited by TA; Oct 27, 2008 at 10:30 am
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks everyone for the feedback and helping me "gird my loins" for FRA.

Another question. I know LH doesn't do advance seat assignments/BPs for intra-European flights. Where do I do that, FRA on arrival or can UA do it for me at IAD when checking in?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm confused here after doing several dozen transfers in FRA I find it one of the easiest and best places in EU to transfer. I swore off LHR long ago, it may very well be better now with *A all in one terminal I haven't tried it since that change. The now gone LAX-FRA was better than the SFO flights as I believe the SFO flights typically landed over in B or C and the LAX flight was typically A53 or something like that but even the walk over to the EU gates isn't that bad. Even my first time through FRA I don't recall getting lost or it being that difficult to follow the signs to where I needed to go, also I don't think I've ever had more than 1 or 2 people in line in-front of me for passport control.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:09 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
oh, I don't mean FRA is not well signed and navigable -- you will not get lost if you follow the directions. I just mean that it is hard to understand in your mind -- if you're the type that enjoys seeing a map in your head.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
I agree, FRA is a very large and confusing airport to transit. I've just started to remeber a few "landmarks", but one can get lost very easily in this sprawling airport.

The lounges are always very full. Not much of a relaxing atmosphere, in my experience. My advice is to get to your departure gate early, at least an hour before boarding. While LH flights are super-reliable on pushing back on time, it seems like there are a lot of unforeseen delays, security checkpoint, changed gates to make things interesting.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:51 am

I have transferred in FRA numerous times on LH. Yes, as a Gold Member you are allowed entrance to LH Senator & Business Lounge. FYI- The distance from UA's gates to LH European gates is a long hike! My advice, go to the Senator/Business Lounge near your gate for Rome. Just look up arrrival/departure for Rome on LH's web site and you'lll get an idea of the area the A gates are located in relation to UA's gate.

While the Senator's Lounge has better food/liquor/candies, the Business Lounge has the showers. What I normally do, when not traveling 1st class, is check in at the Senator's/Business Lounge by gate A26. They have the same entrance. I go into the Business Lounge Toilette (Toilet)/ Dusche (Shower) and sign up to take a shower. I let the attendant know, I'll be in the Senator's Lounge. When it is your time, she will come into the Senator's Lounge to get you when it is your turn. The showers come complete with soap, shampoo, shaver/cream, comb, lotion, towels and hair dryer. Be advise, this can be a long wait or very quick, depending on demand. I always leave a euro or two for the attendant. Nothing like a hot shower after a night on the plane. In FRA the showers are the same, but in MUC the Gold Members get the better shower!

I also bring on board my red eye to Europe slippers, sleepwear and a hanger. Once on the plane, I change into the sleepwear/slippers and hang my clothes up on the hanger. The flight attendant will hang up your clothes and you are comfortable during the flight. Make sure you leave enough time to change back into your clothes before the flight lands. This way my clothes don't have that "slept in look" and they are fresh for the next day. ALWAYS wear slippers into the lav's and walking around the plane. You never know what is on the floor!

FRA can be a very confusing airport for the 1st time. My advice, don't wonder through FRA after drinking all night on the plane. I wound up going through passport control 5 times! If you have any more questions, you can message me.

Pleasant Travels!

D
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not much to add
-- FRA is a bit of a maze and can be disorientating -- but signage while minimalist, it is good
-- Senator lounges have better food than USA domestic RCCs but are small and usually packed
on the plus side
the shopping arcade is quiet good and at least entertaining for along lay-over

And FRA is far, far better than LHR (T1) in every aspect
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by gre
Yeah - one time VPescado and I were on an MR together, and each of us went
to where we just knew we were supposed to be (each convinced
of our rectitude), and we were both wrong. Neither of us can be described as
a particularly unsavvy traveler.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryan182
I'm confused here after doing several dozen transfers in FRA I find it one of the easiest and best places in EU to transfer.
Having been there over a dozen times this year I'd agree it's an amazingly easy place to transit - as long as you just follow the signs and don't try and workout exactly where you're going...

Last Wednesday the Senator lounge near A51 was crowed as usual, so I with a few hours to spare I went over to the one in B. I still have no idea exactly how I got there, or if I took the same path coming back as I did going over, but as long as you know where you're headed simply following the signs will get you there...

If you try and go somewhere other than exactly where you're supposed to go it's not unusual to have to pass through security multiple times (eg, going A51->B means going through security, then back from B->A51 means going through security again!) and possibly even multiple times through passport control (3 times in 30 mins is my record!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.