Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

12 hour layover in Frankfurt - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver

I arrive in Frankfurt at 10AM and depart at 10PM. What can/should I see or do during the layover? I'd be interested in maybe seeing something of historical significance or sampling some authentic German brews.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:40 pm

Hi,

I had exact same connection over Christmas Day - arrive 10:30 am, departure flight 22:30pm. Even though Christmas day stored were closed, it was still worth leaving the airport. Clear customs and proceed downstairs to the Bahn. Buy a RT ticket to Frankfurt Maim Train station return. I think it was about 8 euros.

It's about 15 minutes by train to the main train station in the city. You are in the heart of Frankfurt. I just took one of the longer avenues and walked for about 3-4 hours, took pictures, had coffee and lunch.

Because the airport is so located so close to the city it's really not a hassle. I went without a map but saw some nice churches (along with the banks), opera hall, nice pedestrian street with fancy shops. Given that I was jet-lagged and it was Xmas day I didn't really give too much to planning but walking was a nice change from sitting at FRA all day long.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
An alternative to going into Frankfurt itself is to hop on an S-bahn at FRA and head in the opposite direction for the historic town of Mainz.

If you have the energy to trek a little further, you could probably make it to the university town of Heidelberg on the Rhine.

The layover in FRA is a pretty popular question, both here and in the LH forum! Some other theads which may help include: 18 hrs in FRA; 12 hrs in FRA; 9 hrs in FRA; 8 hrs in FRA and 6 hrs in FRA.

Last edited by bcmatt; Apr 6, 2007 at 4:27 pm
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime Hilton Diamond; UA 1K; Marriott Titanium Elite
You're going to be pretty restricted given just 12 hrs ... with customs, transport into town then re-entering security, checking in etc you'll have about 4 -5 hours of actual 'free' time.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I beg to differ with the previous post. My FRA experience tells me you will have 9-10 hours of actual time to do things. About 30-45 minutes from landing to train station, getting back at the airport 60 minutes before most flights is OK.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
I beg to differ with the previous post. My FRA experience tells me you will have 9-10 hours of actual time to do things. About 30-45 minutes from landing to train station, getting back at the airport 60 minutes before most flights is OK.
I fully agree. And the ride into town is only a few minutes. Frankfurt is not a fantastic airport but compared to most US airports of comparable size it is easy.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:03 am
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
Musuem visits

close by to the main train station (just over the river via a pedestrian bridge) are several musuems. I went to the art museum and saw a great exhibit of the art of the garden or something like that but there are several others (Architecture and others I cannot recall along the same stretch).

You can then walk along the river and cross over again and go to the "old square area and wander a bit.

If you are there on a Saturday there is a fun farmers market at one end of the shopping area (pedestrian). they serve food and wine and it is a great way to spend some time

Also the zoo is great - easily reached via the subway (can get it at the train station) Could then walk back to the train station and find a nice place for a meal on the way.

have fun
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The Frankfurt area is known for its apfelwein (ebbewoi in local dialect) and not beer and the surrounding areas for wine. If you want the local experience, take the train into town and walk/tram to Sachsenhausen where the remnants of the old town are located.

As others have mentioned, Saturday has various tourist activities. The tourist tram (ebbewoi express) takes you for an hour-long tour of the city. Markets in Frankfurt (east end of the Ziel shopping strip) and also in the cathedral square in Mainz. A bit further afield from Mainz, you can go Rudesheim (home of Asbach Uralt) for the wine and brandy. Take a river ferry back to Mainz and go back to the airport.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Sorry for bringing up such an old thread. I have a 12+ hour layover too at FRA, getting in at 5pm, leaving the following morning at 9a. US passport, don't know any German. I booked a hotel at the FRA Hilton. After getting settled in at the hotel, will I have time to venture into the city for some dinner and beer and then back? I remember reading somewhere that the S-Bahn train goes from FRA to downtown - is there a particular time the train stops running? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Plenty of time. I just did this a couple of months ago.

I stayed at the Marriott in Frankfurt though, instead of out by the airport.

Easy connection from FRA airport to the city. I think it only took about 20 minutes or so. I recall being amazed out the short amount of time it took from landing at FRA until being in my hotel room.

Lack of German language no barrier.

I don't know what time the trains stop for the night...it may depend on the day of the week also. You should be able to find it on-line though.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml will give you all the information on trains from FRA airport to the city (Frankfurt(Main)Hbf). Trains or busses run all night, although not as regular as during the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.