Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

How to get 2010 Oberammergau Passion Play tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

I know it's still 3 years off, but I'm thinking it may be about time to start planning for the 2010 Passion Play in Oberammergau. I'd like to figure out (with the help of anyone knowledgeable who's willing to share info) how to buy or reserve tickets with as few markups as possible. Does anyone have info on how to purchase in advance any of these options, listed in descending order of desirability? I'd be looking for quantities of 4, or 6, or possibly even more.

1. Tickets for the play only, at face value (I recognize they're not traditionally sold this way).

2. Tickets for the play plus lunch only, at face value (by a stroke of luck I was able to purchase a marked-up ticket for play plus lunch only in 2000).

3. Tickets for the play plus one overnight and meals, at face value. I speak enough German that I would not require accommodations in a home/hotel reserved for English-speakers.

4-6. Any of the above at a one-middleman markup, such as from an Oberammergau travel agency (anticipating about 50-100% markup).

7. A 2-nights-plus-meals-and-play package at face value.

8. A 2-nights-plus-meals-and-play package at one-middleman markup.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to avoid is having to purchase an entire, exhorbitantly-priced package tour from the U.S. just to attend the play.

Any ideas or inside info?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I move that thread to the Germany forum

regards

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My recommendation would be to follow this schedule closely:
http://www.oberammergau.de/ot_e/pass...onplay2010.htm

and try as soon as they start taking reservations
Old May 7, 2007, 12:19 am

If you find anything...

I'd love to know as well. My father had promised me when i was young that he would take me to see the Passion Play one day. That day never happened so my husband and I are now taking him. 2010 will most likely be our last chance as he'll be 78 by then. We live in Canada, don't speak German (my father does though) and would be grateful for anything you could suggest.

Thank you kindly.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissRabbit
I'd love to know as well. My father had promised me when i was young that he would take me to see the Passion Play one day. That day never happened so my husband and I are now taking him. 2010 will most likely be our last chance as he'll be 78 by then. We live in Canada, don't speak German (my father does though) and would be grateful for anything you could suggest.

Thank you kindly.
I'll be researching through other channels as well, so I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

One thing I'd suggest is that you consider learning some German if you're seriously committed to attending the play. You have three years, and if you invest about $350 or so in the Rosetta Stone German levels 1 and 2, and spend about 30 minutes a day on it for about 3-4 months and then brush it up a few times before you go, you'll have a fair understanding of German by then.

This will give you two advantages. The first is that you'll be able to make travel plans that don't depend on Germans being able to speak English. This may give you better options when buying Passion Play tickets in particular, since you might not have to be limited to the choices officially offered to English-only attendees.

The second is that you'll get a much richer comprehension of the play itself. When I attended in 2000, I was given a booklet with the entire text in German and in English, so an English-only attendee would be able to follow along in English. But to do that, you're constantly switching your attention from the play to the booklet and trying to keep making sure you don't lose your place. Eventually you'll perhaps come to wonder whether it makes more sense to just sit back and enjoy the play without following the text. The Rosetta Stone levels 1 and 2 will not give you sufficient understanding of German to understand all of the play, but you'll be able to get enough of it to know what's going on on stage and even to perceive some of the beauty of the text in its native language (I'm referring to the play's text, of course; not the scriptures). I can tell you from experience, it's a spiritually powerful thing to hear and understand faith expressed in a foreign language - it gives you an innate sense of a bigger God.

As I said, you will still appreciate the play if you know no German, but with 3 years and a father to practice with, I'd think you would consider the money and the time to have been worth the investment. Come to think of it, I may suggest the same to my wife, who will accompany me in 2010, and understands only very little German.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:36 pm

thank you!

I was planning on learning as much German as I could before we went. My father tried teaching me years ago and I sucked at it! But I was hoping to give it a go again.

We're making a big vacation of it and travelling through Italy, Switzerland and Austria as well. My grandparents and ancestors were all from Germany so it will be amazing to see where they were from.

Thank you for your help. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Rabbit
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:35 pm

Smile usera12345

I would like to know if tickets for the play are now available to book for the 2010 performance, hope you can let me know, hope to here from you soon.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by usera12345
I would like to know if tickets for the play are now available to book for the 2010 performance, hope you can let me know, hope to here from you soon.
welcome on FlyerTalk, usera12345

there's no need to post the same message four times. I deleted three. please be patient for an answer. We're looking forward to your valuable contributions to our community

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
Germany forum
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usera12345
The web site linked by soitgoes above says "end of 2007" for information about ticket availability and purchase, and also for the establishment of the ticket office. That's the best information I have right now, but if anyone has experience with previous performances, I'd consider it helpful to know how it was handled in the past. In particular, what restrictions we might anticipate regarding what types of tickets can be purchased by individuals vs. tour companies, or by Americans vs. Germans, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Last week I was able to walk into the travel information office in Oberammergau. I asked about any unposted information about ticket sales. I was told ticket sales are expected to begin in January 2008 (so, a bit later than what the web site says). I expressed my concern that large travel agencies would buy up the entire supply before I had a chance to purchase any, and was told, no, there should be no problem with that. I was directed to write my name, address, and email address on a list on the counter (there were several names already on the list above mine), and as a result I would receive a notice in the mail in "probably November" with the details about how to purchase tickets once they go on sale in January.

The current plan, I was told, is to sell only "packages" in 2008 and individual performance tickets in 2009. The packages are a single price for a play ticket, meal(s) and lodging. Note that unlike in 2000, the plan for 2010 is to begin the performance after lunch, break for dinner, and conclude the performance at night, thereby making at least one night's local lodging much more necessary. I seem to have seen something somewhere that makes me think they will be pushing a 2-night package as the "preferred" package, although with the later performance start, two nights of lodging seems less useful/necessary than in 2000.

I was also assured that I would be able to purchase packages in January from the US, and to purchase individual packages rather than large blocks.

So for now, I think I'm up to speed on this. If you want to be put on the mailing list, I'd recommend trying to contact the tourist information office in Oberammergau. If I find an email link or phone number, I'll post it here later. Otherwise, I'll post again once (and if) I get my notice in November.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:14 pm

it's that time!

It's 2008 now! I'm anxiously scouring the internet for a way to purchase tickets. We were already planning on spending a couple days in Oberammergau so buying a "package" won't be a big deal. I'm sure they'll hike the prices up, of course, but it'll be worth it.

I figure if we end up not going, we can always sell our tickets. At least i hope so.

anyone have recent news on where to buy tickets in North America?

for those of you who've been to Oberammergau, could you recommend some hotels? I've looked at alot of hotels from the Oberammergau website and right now is Hotel Minotel Turmwirt.

Would it be safe to purchase the tickets directly through the hotel? (if they offer them in a hotel package?)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I'm still waiting to hear from the Oberammergau tourist office after they told me they'd send me info in November. The web site (link is in a post above) has not added new information on this front since about mid-2007.

Some friends of mine are working with a travel agent friend of theirs to explore options. The travel agent says he's received "indications" that they're debating a new approach this year. The new approach would be to see just how a price they could actually get (since the tickets are always sold out and scalped at high markup as the date approaches). The rumor proposes that the packages will be sold in 2008 starting in the $700-$800 range. That's per person. If that rumor turns out to be true, it looks like my family and I will not be attending after all.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:04 am

I would like to share with you the information I recieved from the Hotel Turmwirt today.

"We are able to offer you a 2 days package from the official packages.
The rate per person is Euro 635,00 which includes 2 overnights, 3 full meals and 2 buffet breakfasts, as well as first class tickets to the Passionplay.
The official order forms will come out in spring this year, but we are able to pre-reserve for you. So please let me know if you like to book, and how many packages you need. '

I am an American living in Europe. My family has stayed and eaten at the Hotel Turmwirt in the past. We were pleased with the location to the Passion Play theatre. I haven't looked into any other hotel packages.

Somewhere I saw a price list for 1st class tickets and if I remember correctly it was 175 Euro or about $265 at the current conversion rate. I didn't even look at the rates for 2nd or 3rd class.

FYI, If you just buy the individual tickets and don't need a place to stay, that's fine. However, if you need a hotel in the area I think you must book a package.

You will find hotel packages on hotel web sites at this time. The one on the Hotel Turmwirt web page is for seven days. I contacted the hotel directly to ask about availability of a two night package.

Last edited by chrissxb; Jan 23, 2008 at 1:21 am
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:35 am

www.passionsspiele2010.de

Click the British flag to get this in English.

Under "Card" you will find individual ticket prices. Under accommodations they list one and two night packages. They have a contact you email with questions.

http://www.passionsspiele2010.de

Hope this helps
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

jean_braddock, thanks for that info. I doubt I'll be paying nearly $1000 per person for a package. I can't imagine what those prices are going to be once they're inflated by the tour companies. Not that I'd book though a tour company, but I wonder if they'll be able to have a season full of essentially sold-out performances with prices like that. If not, maybe I'll have a shot at a better deal later.

The offer on the Turmwirt's web site says it's for the final performance only (hence the 7 nights rather than 2). Did you have any indication whether the 2-night package they offered you was also for the final performance or was it bookable throughout the season?

If I have to, I might consider a 175 euro ticket, and pack in picnic dinners and drive an hour or two for lodging. But I was told by the Oberammergau tourist office that individual tickets (i.e. without a lodging & meals package) won't go on sale until 2009. If the packages cost 600+ euros, there may be plenty of tickets left to sell by the end of this year. But if you come across that price list and/or any information on how one could buy individual tickets this year, please let us all know (or send me a PM if you come across a comfidential source).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.