Wiki Posts
Search

Germany for cheap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Germany for cheap?

I and a few roommates are planning a trip to Germany sometime in 2007. We would be going for the cheapest of everything and could fly into anywhere in Europe and take the train to Germany, or fly directly into the city we would be visiting. We live close to MSP, so that would have to be our starting point. NW would probably have the best deals. We would be looking at either anytime from June 1- August 5, or October for Oktoberfest. We'd really like to stay in Munich, but would be open to any other suggestions. Anyone have any advice as far as when to fly, what airlines, where to stay/visit?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:13 pm

Welcom to Flyer Talk.

I am sure experts will be able to advise you on this matter. My experience is that Munich is almost impossible during Octoberfest. Hurry and make arrangements now but expect to pay top dollar even if you get a place. Of course, staying outside the city would be lest costly. We visit this wonderful area a couple of times a year but never even tried during Octerfest.

My initial reaction is plan on using the excellent train system in and out of the city each day...but let us hear from the experts.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by 747LWW; Nov 27, 2006 at 10:21 pm
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:33 am

You're not the first person to get caught out by this, and you won't be the last...: Oktoberfest is in September.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You're not the first person to get caught out by this, and you won't be the last...: Oktoberfest is in September.
Actually in 2007 it is not that bad than it used to be... There are at least 7 of 15 days of the Oktoberfest in October...

IIRC, the 2007 Oktoberfest is from September 22 to October 7th...

Munich will be packed and very expensive during that event so if you want to save money, don't go there (leaves more space for me in the tents)

Cheap travel: (Deutsche Bahn, Low Cost Carrier as HLX, Germanwings, Deutsche BA, Air Berlin, the "Mitfahrzentrale" (people meet over the Internet, share a rental car on a defined route like CGN-MUC))

Cheap hotels: ( try to get a "Jugendherbergsausweis" (membership for youth hostels))

Food: you can always find places for cheap and even good food, just look around
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
If you are looking to do it cheap, I would also suggest not going to Munich during Oktoberfest. You will have a great time in Munich whenver you visit, so for your first visit on a budget, go sometime else.

The trains are great - look into a Eurorail youth saver flexi-pass (I think that is what it is called.) It allows you to use the train a certain number of days in a couple month time-frame. I think there is also a discount if you will be traveling with a "buddy" at all times.

Hostels are also a great idea. There is a budget travel site on this fourm that may also have some good ideas for hostels in Germany.

Have a great trip. You will have a blast!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
thanks. I knew that Oktoberfest drew ALOT of people, but it sounds like it wouldnt be too fun around there at the time. We'll start looking at other dates. Probably in the summer, tho its probably impossible to find a reasonable flight over there during then.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brooks_87
thanks. I knew that Oktoberfest drew ALOT of people, but it sounds like it wouldnt be too fun around there at the time. We'll start looking at other dates. Probably in the summer, tho its probably impossible to find a reasonable flight over there during then.
I think you can have a blast during Oktoberfest and still keep things reasonable money-wise.

I flew out there this year and had two hotels booked (one night each) before I went (I booked the rest day-of or day-before). I stayed for eight days and spent about $1700 for everything - airfare, hotels, food, souvenirs, travel (train and S-Bahn/U-Bahn).

One thing to consider is that, obviously, hotel availability in Munich is limited and they will be expensive. The cheapest hotel I stayed in in Munich was $115 USD per night (a 3-star that I wouldn't stay at again), and the nicest was a $300 USD per night 5-star (awesome, but expensive). The best deal was in Garmisch-Partenkirchen - a 5-star hotel for $88 USD per night. If you are somewhat flexible on travel, I would strongly encourage you to look at staying in a nearby city and taking the train in to Munich. You could save considerably on hotel rooms and would be able to explore another city in addition to Munich.

Munich is very cool - no matter when you visit, but Oktoberfest is an experience - I think an enjoyable and awesome one.

BTW, the train ride from Munich (Hauptbahnhof) to Garmisch is IIRC 90 minutes. The trains run almost every hour in either direction (I think there is a break from midnight until 5am). I paid ~$30 USD for an open ticket (hop on any train to/from).

Good luck and have a great time! Maybe I'll see you there (I'll be there Sept. 29 until Oct. 7)!

Sean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.