Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Christkindlmarkt

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Advice on Christkindlmarkt

Will be in FRA/STR 12/6-21/05 and need to do a bit of holiday shopping. Any advice as to where/when/what would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Trying doing a search on "Christkindlmarkt" in this forum and also in TravelBuzz! You'll get some good info that way.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:31 am

Stuttgart has a very nice market, hundreds of vendors, nicely decorated stalls, good food, and of course gluhwien. From the Stuttgart website:
First mentioned in a document in 1692, the Stuttgart Christmas Market contains more than 230 lovingly decorated stalls and is not only one of the oldest but certainly also one of the most beautiful and largest Christmas markets in Europe
See also:
Stuttgart Christmas Market
Christmas Market Dates 2004 / 2005

Last edited by 53flyer; Dec 2, 2005 at 5:35 am
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Why is it that any Christmas Markets in Lucerne, Switzerland appear to last only a short time, and end well before Christmas? I'm going there this Christmas, and am disappointed that from what I've read, their markets will be over by the time we get there.

In Munich and Vienna, their markets go right up to the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Wonder why the difference??
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:52 am

FRA has a fairly decent xmas market, too.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JHattery
Will be in FRA/STR 12/6-21/05 and need to do a bit of holiday shopping. Any advice as to where/when/what would be greatly appreciated.
We just got back from a quick Austria/Germany jaunt. The markets were all open on Vienna, Salzburg, Munich and Rothenburg. Weekends are very crowded, but are more festive (with carolers, and om-pa-pa bands etc). We had a great time. In Germany, Munich's market is quite large. I think Nuremburg is the largest (we did not visit). Rothenburg gets listed as the most romantic, but quite a bit smaller than the others. But if you cant find what you are looking for in the market you can go to the huge christmas store right off the main square in Rothenburg. If you cant find your German ornament/trinket there I dont think it exists!

Have fun, we had a great time! Beware of the Guhlwein with rum goes down easy...

A good website with all of the Markets and dates/times is

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/index1.htm
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Silver VIP
Originally Posted by 53flyer
Stuttgart has a very nice market, hundreds of vendors, nicely decorated stalls, good food, and of course gluhwien.
Second Stuttgart!!!! I lived there for several years and it was fanastic. Of course the most famous of them is Nuremberg. Nuremberg is sometimes known as the Christmas City and for good reason. However the tourists are there in full force and Stuttgart's is nearly equal in my opinion and minus the tourist crowds.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:03 am

Smile

Originally Posted by ploo
We just got back from a quick Austria/Germany jaunt. The markets were all open on Vienna, Salzburg, Munich and Rothenburg. Weekends are very crowded, but are more festive (with carolers, and om-pa-pa bands etc). We had a great time. In Germany, Munich's market is quite large. I think Nuremburg is the largest (we did not visit). Rothenburg gets listed as the most romantic, but quite a bit smaller than the others. But if you cant find what you are looking for in the market you can go to the huge christmas store right off the main square in Rothenburg. If you cant find your German ornament/trinket there I dont think it exists!

Have fun, we had a great time! Beware of the Guhlwein with rum goes down easy...

A good website with all of the Markets and dates/times is

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/index1.htm
The Rothenburg on was hands down my favorite though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.