Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Question about connecting to train from BA flight - appr. one hour enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:33 am
Original Poster

My flight lands at 11.05 on a Tuesday morning next February (luggage to collect) - what are my chances of catching a 12.14 train to Berlin Ostbahnhof to connect with an EC express - friends in Germany say I should be okay but I have my doubts...
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
would be a way too short connection for my very own risk tolerance. at any airport.

it could work tho. that's 69 minutes. totally doable if everything is on time. the way from the luggage belt to the train station is like 5 minutes.
Markie and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by smokeyone
My flight lands at 11.05 on a Tuesday morning next February (luggage to collect) - what are my chances of catching a 12.14 train to Berlin Ostbahnhof to connect with an EC express - friends in Germany say I should be okay but I have my doubts...
Are you in CE? If so, any chance you can squeeze everything into hand luggage only?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:56 am

Programs: BA
It depends on the day.
if it was like my experience on Friday, it took 45 minutes to clear passport control.

However, a friend on a different flight was in the train station in about 45 mintues from landing on Friday.
so really dose depend on the que and the people your stuck behind.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
After consulting Deep Thought, I have learned that the probability of making the train is 0.79.
Horatio likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Is Ostbahnhof your final destination? If so don't even worry about this since there's different trains that leave like every 20-30min depending on the schedule. Note that the FEX (Flughafen/airport Express) currently does not serve Ostkreuz (not Ostbahnhof) this month. You can take both the RB (Regionalbahn) and S-Bahn where the former would be the preferred and faster option.
Nephoi and BA or bust like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
It used to be reliably fast going through passport control in Berlin but our last trip in October took us over an hour.
A Turkish flight landed before us which made it extremely busy.
2 weeks ago I spoke to someone arriving on an EU passport. The automatic gates were closed and was apparently taking up to 2 hours to get through.
Providing the machines are open for residents and EU passports and you don't have busy flights before yours I expect you would make it in good time.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
In February I would worry about possible delays or interruptions due to weather.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input - I hadn't even thought about the possible weather delays....I did have an express to catch at Ostbahnhof - the next one is an hour and a bit later - I'll go for that one - I didn't want problems with specific trains on tickets and trying to explain to a Db ticket inspector. Too much stuff just for cabin baggage.

Just for info - anyone traveling to Frankfurt - it'll be a long wait just to get your passport stamped...not to mention walking about half a mile - I am exaggerating a little!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:20 am

Frankfurt also depends heavily on which planes have just landed. I have almost walked right through and also had to wait a long time (in both terminals).

And remember for anyone with a German residency card - even though most of the signs have not been updated, you can use the EU EasyPass electronic gates at Frankfurt even with non-EU passports now.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Light Travellers
It used to be reliably fast going through passport control in Berlin but our last trip in October took us over an hour.
A Turkish flight landed before us which made it extremely busy.
2 weeks ago I spoke to someone arriving on an EU passport. The automatic gates were closed and was apparently taking up to 2 hours to get through.
Providing the machines are open for residents and EU passports and you don't have busy flights before yours I expect you would make it in good time.
I think the 08:something out of LHR gets to BER just around a TK and a QR flight, so if late (or they are early) the non-EU line can be challenging.

Originally Posted by Rolos
And remember for anyone with a German residency card - even though most of the signs have not been updated, you can use the EU EasyPass electronic gates at Frankfurt even with non-EU passports now.
Technically with certain passports you can also just register for EasyPass even without a residency card. US for instance, from first hand experience. I'm sure the vast majority of non-EU using that system are resident card holders as the Bundespolizei staff are regularly bemused by someone not possessing one.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Queue's for immigration can be longer than at Tegel. Plus one flight a day seems to get bussed to an immigration hall where other airlines arrive and many passengers have to be photo'ed and fingerprinted. This took a very long time to clear. Despite this the bags had not arrived.
You could be OK, but it is very risky.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:49 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I’ve been able to clear plane to train in 20 minutes, including automated passport control. It’s worth the risk so long as you can take a later regional train at no cost. If using one of the non-EU lines, try to sit near the front of the aircraft.

Just look at train times on bahn.de ahead of time. Know what train options you have and the last possible train you can take. As others mention frequency is an issue.

Working in your favor is the fact that DB has poor on-time performance and could easily be late as well.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:58 am
Original Poster

My Db tickets would be non flexible - however I have always found Db staff understanding but of course I would not rely on it...
The flight lands at 11.05 - the train is at 12.14 the next train is at 12.28 but then I have only a few minutes at Berlin Ost to catch my express - too much to go wrong - I think I'll book the later train....
danielflyer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
What is your destination on EC from Berlin Ostbahnhof? Bear in mind that some EC/IC trains e.g. Berlin to Dresden go via BER Airport station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.