Wiki Posts
Search

Union Actions (Strike) at Deutsche Bahn - 2023 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Union Actions (Strike) at Deutsche Bahn - 2023 edition

The union GDL has called for train drivers to strike starting November 15th 22:00 until 18:00 the day after.

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft...treik-102.html

Tarifkonflikt mit der Bahn

GDL streikt von morgen Abend bis Donnerstagabend

Stand: 14.11.2023 20:04 Uhr

Die Lokführergewerkschaft GDL verleiht ihren Forderungen Nachdruck: Sie ruft von morgen Abend, 22 Uhr, bis 18 Uhr am Donnerstag zum Warnstreik auf. Die Bahn nannte den Arbeitskampf "völlig unnötig".
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

https://int.bahn.de/en/contact/special-event

GDL strike: Massive disruption to DB long-distance, regional and S-Bahn services nationwide from 15 November evening to 16 November inclusive.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:36 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It looks like it will be a long November-December with many strikes from GDL.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Is it typical to have these strikes hit with such short notice?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:19 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

This can happen when there is negotiations between unions and companies.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is it typical to have these strikes hit with such short notice?

I think they said last week that they would strike, but didn’t provide a date until now.

Rail and air travel in Germany in recent years has been incredibly unreliable - it seems there is always one workgroup on the verge of a walkout.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fransknorge
This can happen when there is negotiations between unions and companies.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think they said last week that they would strike, but didn’t provide a date until now.

Rail and air travel in Germany in recent years has been incredibly unreliable - it seems there is always one workgroup on the verge of a walkout.
OK, thanks. I have a visit in December. Will keep an eye out.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Can someone help confirm that there are no significant strikes signposted for next weekend 1st to 3rd December? Am planning to be in Hannover...

If my searches are correct it seems that the GDL and DB made some statement that they disagree about stuff this week but no more strikes announced yet? Unfortunately Google UK is finding lots of matches for UK rail strikes which ARE happening next weekend
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:22 pm

We can not confirm. Second round of negotiations failed. GDL is putting a ballot to declare permanent strikes but this will take several weeks before we know if they have 75% of the votes.
In the meantime there can be strikes for one day and usually notice is 24 hours. So we will be able to confirm the 30th November, not before.
plunet likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
We can not confirm. Second round of negotiations failed. GDL is putting a ballot to declare permanent strikes but this will take several weeks before we know if they have 75% of the votes.
In the meantime there can be strikes for one day and usually notice is 24 hours. So we will be able to confirm the 30th November, not before.
I have been watching this thread closely. We are arriving in FRA the morning of November 29, and have tickets for Erfurt. The next morning (November 30)we have tickets for Dresden.

If I understand your quote regarding November 30, does that mean that is the first opportunity for a one day strike, but still unknown at this point?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsvflyer
I have been watching this thread closely. We are arriving in FRA the morning of November 29, and have tickets for Erfurt. The next morning (November 30)we have tickets for Dresden.

If I understand your quote regarding November 30, does that mean that is the first opportunity for a one day strike, but still unknown at this point?
​​​​​​
No, he meant that on the 30th we can be definitive about what'll happen on the 1st.

On the 28th we will have more clarity about the 29th.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by supine
​​​​​​
No, he meant that on the 30th we can be definitive about what'll happen on the 1st.

On the 28th we will have more clarity about the 29th.
OK, I now understand. Thank you.

In addition to the tickets we have from FRA-Erufurt, on 29 Nov. then on to Dresden on 30 Nov., we have tickets on a Czech train Dresden to Prague on 2 December. I'm going to assume if there is a 24 hour strike, it would also imact the Czech train we are on from Dresden to at least the Czech border. (Assuming German train drivers until the border). Is this a correct assumption?

I have looked at some bus schedules just in case between the different locations we are headed, (which do not look great) and at this point just hoping for the best with the trains.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by hsvflyer

No, what I say is that there can be strikes any day, with 1 day notice. I took the example of the 30th November because of plunet question.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Can I check back for any rumour of strikes for tomorrow yet? Or is there a good website I should be checking for myself?

Also, if there were to be a strike over the weekend, is it typically everything is affected all at the same time? City ubahn / sbahn, regional and intercity all equally affected? Is it no service or some limited service? If it makes any difference I will be in Hannover.

Thanks once again for the local knowledge.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: LH M+M
No factual news right now - but there's weather affecting service. (also some strike on snow plowing..)
Service will be affected differently; not all drivers are in the union and some operators are not under such a contract at all (e.g. UBahn in Hamburg, dont know the one in Hannover).
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.